DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two sides to every situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherwood92

Reactions
I"m a six month drone owner/pilot, using my bird for work purposes doing aerial photography only. I want to call your attention to the other side of the issue that pits privacy rights against the rights one has to fly his drone.

Next door to me, living with his parents, is a 40 something individual who who is a convicted felon, having served time for possession of illegal weapons and parts manufacture/sale, and has been arrested at least three times since then for the same offenses. The last time he was arrested was two weeks ago, and with our lovely "zero bail" policy here in California, he is again out on the streets, apparently waiting for a future court date, which he will probably blow off.
About a month ago on a Saturday morning I was in my back yard and heard the familiar sounds of spinning blades. I looked up and across my yard at about 50 feet flew a drone, continuing north away from my house. By coincidence I went into my front yard a few minutes later and who should I see standing in the street closely studying a drone controller was my felon neighbor. I didn't want to cause an issue then, but at least three more Saturday mornings since I have watched him out there flying his drone in all directions throughout the neighborhood.
This past Saturday I had had enough. I went into my front yard, and told him that most everyone I know values their privacy and he should not be randomly flying his drone over peoples' properties when there is no way anyone knows what he is looking at or why. He told me to Mod Removed Language ) mind my own business. That pretty much put me over the edge. I told him with his long and sordid record with law enforcement, the eyes and ears of rest of the neighbors already go on alert when his familiar beat-up pickup truck rolls down the street, and it should be obvious to him what they must be thinking when his drone flies over their property. I told him he probably doesn't want the police to come snooping around AGAIN, and if he agreed, he should take his drone out into the country away from people who would take offense to what he is doing. I won't repeat when he said in response, but that is where it ended.

Almost all of the posts I see regarding this topic are from those of you who have had run-ins with neighbors while flying your drones responsibly and for legitimate purposes. Clearly that is not what I am dealing with.

I'd like to get some feedback from some of you regarding my predicament. While I, like all of you, value our rights to fly these drones, there is no doubt that the relative ease and low cost of purchasing a high quality unit with remarkable photographic capabilities also exists for those who clearly have less than upstanding purposes in mind for their use. I did call my local police department, and, without giving my name or address asked if there were any privacy laws being broken that I could call them out for, and they said no. I asked if there was any recourse at all at my disposal, and they said nothing other than talking to my neighbor and trying to make him understand the concerns held by myself and the rest of our neighbors.

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: Simone L and Slade
Would you react the same if he wasn’t a convicted felon ?
Lets face it he couldn't really case out you property or spy on anyone with the view you get from a normal consumer drone.
Granted he may be annoying but is he doing any harm especially if the police say he is within the law?

Flying his drone in all directions doesn't really indicate he's violating anyone's privacy. Maybe he's planning escape routes for when the cops come. I fly my drone over my neighborhood all the time but I'm not hovering over anyone's home or peaking in windows. Now I'm not a convicted felon but I don't recall any laws that state if you're a convicted felon you can't fly a drone either. If he was hovering outside someone's window that may be a different story. If he's just flying over houses then not sure what the issue is.

I would have suggested that he fly at 350 feet instead of 50 feet, but it probably would have done no good.

You more frustrated with the fact that you living next to a felon who acts like a felon

Once you make him an enemy or offend him, people like this have nothing to loose.
There Dangerous , he could just as easily sprinkle your drive while he is washing his car and your likely to be annoyed.

The Drone is not the issue , there is much more going on here .
My advice , The stress that he has caused, the amount of interest you have put into knowing him has cost you plenty already.

Because of this you need to move as quickly as you can before everything starts to escalate as he already is not happy with you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

I do totally understand your frustration but as others have already said, you can't really do anything if there's no crime being committed. Flying a drone is not a crime. Flying it in all directions is not a crime. Flying a drone while on bail or probation is not a crime.

You seem to think for a fact that he has a nefarious intent, while there really is no way to know that. OK he could be a bad person and he could be seeing how the drone can help him with illegal activities, but he has done nothing to indicate that.

So unless he breaks some FAA regulations or privacy laws, then he is well within his rights to fly his drone.

FWIW, I probably would also be annoyed but I would just watch him closely and see how/when he does break any laws. Drones aren't exactly stealthy so if you're around it should be fairly easy to know when he's flying it.

You're assuming he's up to no good with zero proof to back that up. If you approached me with the same condescending, baseless accusations I'd tell you to bleep off too. Unless he's peeping in people's windows or otherwise violating the law, you should mind your own business.

at most I would suggest he fly it much higher in elevation. At 50 feet anyone looking up would be concerned! I fly mine straight up to at least 200 feet at the house before venturing out. Those spinning blades make a lot of attention getting noise at low altitudes!

It could well be he's taken up a hobby to keep him out of trouble, who knows for sure.
He sounds like he's done some illegal gun seller / modification type of things to date, not as likely he's casing places for robberies.

While he's probably not the type of person you might want to be 'drone buddies' with, maybe that could have been a better option to approach him with in the first place, at least on a very hands off level.
Have a chat about his new found interest, (if he didn't know) that you have a drone and fly too, then it could have been a foot in the door to at least be on non aggressive terms with him (keep friends close, and enemies even closer).

Anyway, maybe there's still a chance for that when you see him again flying, and over time to educate him subtly on ways to fly and keep neighbours from becoming aggrieved with privacy or 'other' issues.

Sounds like a short fuse type too, so you might not want to spend too much time trying to be friendly if he just becomes aggressive if / when you try and talk to him.

Good luck with it all.

I have a pellet gun that is really accurate at about 100' (30 meters) and I figure if I can hit a drone with it, the drone is too close. It's very quiet and I am discreet so nobody even knows when it's been shot and the aircraft's owner doesn't even know what happened. Yes I'm a drone owner/flyer and hate the stories about fanatics that shoot drones down for no reason but it's a fine balance...

I can appreciate the angst/frustration with the situation. You can't really pick your neighbors... much less the neighbor's kids!

I tend to agree with some others, maybe try to chat him up about the drone hobby. Otherwise I would just leave it alone. If he flew over my property while I was out, I would just ask/tell him nicely that I would appreciate it if he didnt fly it overhead of my property and leave it at that.

I have a pellet gun that is really accurate at about 100' (30 meters) and I figure if I can hit a drone with it, the drone is too close. It's very quiet and I am discreet so nobody even knows when it's been shot and the aircraft's owner doesn't even know what happened. Yes I'm a drone owner/flyer and hate the stories about fanatics that shoot drones down for no reason but it's a fine balance...
No it is definitely NOT a fine balance, EVER !!

You should never shoot down a drone. Period. End of story. It is a federal crime and it doesn't matter if your pellet gun is quiet and discreet. It is still wrong and illegal. Even more egregious if the drone pilot is not breaking any laws or regulations. Really surprising that another drone pilot would even suggest this.

I guess your handle says it all.

then you two will be criminals together.

Every body makes a mistake and unfortunately in this country (USA) it is easy to become a felon... but with that said multiple convictions and arrest tell me something... sorry for who you have to live beside....hopefully soon he will be living somewhere else for a few years at the state's expense.... in the mean time .... I would be extra cautious and prepared.... ( Political Remark Removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

That is a STUPID suggestion given what the neighbour has been convicted of.

I think instead of confronting the neighbour it might have been better to call the local police to suggest he was "casing" various properties. Was he looking to go on a spree of "gaining assets" before skipping bail? Also at 50feet was he perving? Then you let the local police lean on him, Now it is too late as he will assume it was the OP who called them

So when you miss (most likely scenario) and your pellet hits a person or someone's property... SERIOUSLY?!! And you're a drone pilot?!!

Maybe talk to your neighbor and find out what he likes to do. Interact and both of you fly your drones and have fun. Perhaps he will get out more and decide he likes to be neighborly? I think that would be a good start.

50 feet is too low to go over someone's house IMO! Why would you want/need to unless you are trying for a special angle or video or viewing their property? Nesting birds could easily get combative. Aren't trees in most reas 50' tall of taller? I fly around my neighborhood all the time. Always at 300-400' because of birds mostly. But, I'm still worried about neighbors thinking their being stalked (people seem to think we have super powered satellite cameras and that we have some interest in them). I hover all the time when I'm changing flightstyles, or catching up on camera settings, etc. On the potential positive side, maybe he wants to find a new way to make a living? Maybe suggest he fly much higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser