DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

U.S. citizen wanting to operate a Mini in the UK

Mavic Mania

Reactions
I have a question regarding operating in the UK, specifically England. So . . . being that the Mini is under 250 grams, am I correct that the same rules apply to its' operation in the U.K. ?

Specifically I have three questions:

1. Am I exempt from having to register the Drone in England being it weighs 249 grams?

2. Do I need to obtain any kind of license to fly it there?

3. Is there anything else required of me to legally fly there?

I am wanting to fly in very rural areas along England's beautiful canals from a Narrowboat. By the way . . . I HIGHLY recommend renting a Narrowboat in England, the very best vacation of my life! I have no intention of flying in London or near any airports, just small villages along the canal.

I have a question regarding operating in the UK, specifically England. So . . . being that the Mini is under 250 grams, am I correct that the same rules apply to its' operation in the U.K. ?

Specifically I have three questions:

1. Am I exempt from having to register the Drone in England being it weighs 249 grams?

2. Do I need to obtain any kind of license to fly it there?

3. Is there anything else required of me to legally fly there?

I am wanting to fly in very rural areas along England's beautiful canals from a Narrowboat. By the way . . . I HIGHLY recommend renting a Narrowboat in England, the very best vacation of my life! I have no intention of flying in London or near any airports, just small villages along the canal.
Well, it looks like I'm your man to answer these questions; I moved from Arizona to the UK a few years back, and have a Mavic Mini here now. (Haven't been on a narrowboat yet, but I've walked along the canals plenty, and seen quite a few.)

Anyway, as to the actual questions. Yes, you're exempt, as long as you aren't flying for commercial purposes, and leave off any extra weight like the prop guards. As best I can tell, 'commercial purposes' here means you don't have a contract and aren't paid in advance, or anything like that, but you can sell pictures taken with the drone afterwards. No licence/license needed, although I got one anyway, partly since I was expecting to get a bigger drone later anyway and fly it with prop guards meanwhile, and partly because I just didn't know what I was doing when first stumbling around the drone registration site.

The main thing that could be an issue is the transmission power. Minis sold outside the US have a much lower transmission power, and shorter range. I don't know myself whether either it reduces the power when it senses it's outside the US on startup, or whether it would be illegal to fly it anyway with the greater power if it didn't. I definitely have the impression that the former is true, based on all the talk I've seen of the 'FCC hack' to get the longer range outside the US.

In other times, I'd say hit me up if you're on one of the Manchester-area canals, but I'm not so sure about that in these current times. I wouldn't say this normally, but currently, you might want to give the North a miss altogether; it seems to be generally the worst area currently, as far as the infection rates are concerned. Hope you have a good trip anyway!

Well, it looks like I'm your man to answer these questions; I moved from Arizona to the UK a few years back, and have a Mavic Mini here now. (Haven't been on a narrowboat yet, but I've walked along the canals plenty, and seen quite a few.)

Anyway, as to the actual questions. Yes, you're exempt, as long as you aren't flying for commercial purposes, and leave off any extra weight like the prop guards. As best I can tell, 'commercial purposes' here means you don't have a contract and aren't paid in advance, or anything like that, but you can sell pictures taken with the drone afterwards. No licence/license needed, although I got one anyway, partly since I was expecting to get a bigger drone later anyway and fly it with prop guards meanwhile, and partly because I just didn't know what I was doing when first stumbling around the drone registration site.

The main thing that could be an issue is the transmission power. Minis sold outside the US have a much lower transmission power, and shorter range. I don't know myself whether either it reduces the power when it senses it's outside the US on startup, or whether it would be illegal to fly it anyway with the greater power if it didn't. I definitely have the impression that the former is true, based on all the talk I've seen of the 'FCC hack' to get the longer range outside the US.

In other times, I'd say hit me up if you're on one of the Manchester-area canals, but I'm not so sure about that in these current times. I wouldn't say this normally, but currently, you might want to give the North a miss altogether; it seems to be generally the worst area currently, as far as the infection rates are concerned. Hope you have a good trip anyway!

KarMann: Thanks so much for your detailed reply. So . . . It sounds like I could fly my Mini over there without having to obtain a license and no registration is required, so long as I remain at 249 grams or less . . . no prop guards, stickers or filters I suppose.

Do you happen to know if running one of those ND Filters puts the Drone over 249 grams?

I'm not too worried about transmit power, I seriously doubt that there are Drone Police about with some kind of portable device to measure power. Unless there is some obvious labeling on the drone to identify it as such, I doubt it would be an issue. I also have no intention to use the drone for any commercial purposes, just solely for my own personal enjoyment.

In regard to the Narrowboats . . . they are a BLAST! I rented from ABC Boat Hire out of Blackwater Meadow Marina in Ellesmere, and sailed up the llangollen Canal into Wales, two days up, two days back. I crossed two tunnels, two Locks and two aquaducts, one being the world famous and quite spectacular Pontcysyllte Aquaduct. Imagine crossing across a gorge 135 feet up in the air, floating on an eight foot wide body of water held up by 18 stone arches built 215 years ago! We also pounded are pins in at the tunnel in Chirk, and walked to and toured the Castle there, it was like visiting Wales version of Downton Abbey. We were going to return this year for another Narrowboat vacation but sadly, covid put an end to that.

On a final note . . . if there is someway I could chat with you privately offline from this group; I'd love to be able to ask you about the possibility of my retiring and moving to England. From what I understand, they don't allow US citizens to stay for more than six months a year.

Thanks again so much for taking the time to help me out, it is greatly appreciated ;)

Last edited:
@Mavic Mania just an update on the MM flying in the UK ,if you plan to come over to the UK after the 31st december 2020 then you will need to register the drone and obtain a flyer ID under the new rules as the mini has a camera

@Mavic Mania just an update on the MM flying in the UK ,if you plan to come over to the UK after the 31st december 2020 then you will need to register the drone and obtain a flyer ID under the new rules as the mini has a camera
Oh no! Well that does throw a wrinkle in it. I will have to figure out how all that is done. I imagine the process can be done over the Internet.

Oh no! Well that does throw a wrinkle in it. I will have to figure out how all that is done. I imagine the process can be done over the Internet.

You should be able to foreign register via the CAA drone registration site at the following link

There are exemptions in place for the US though certain areas are not covered like the Isle of Mann

Thanks a bunch ShadowCat !
I would however double check whether you require one as your drone is under 250g £800 + is a bit steep for a visit l would drop the CAA an email. Or join the UK bmfa and you will get that registration free provided you fork out approx £40 odd for membership small price to pay ?

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan