DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

U.S. Secret Service Visit

I think it more than likely they were just given a phone top off by a concerned passer-by. Or were just passing by.
P.

My 16-year-old was the PIC this morning at Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. He had the Mini2 up about 10 minutes and was about 3/4 of a mile out to sea when a uniformed agent accompanied by local PD arrived at our launch site. Both were extremely cordial.

They asked if we knew about the temporary flight restrictions and when we told him we did not, they advised POTUS was in town and his summer beach house was less than a mile north of us on the beach.

I was amazed (and reassured) that they would be able to detect the aircraft but even more amazed at how quickly they were able to determine and respond to the launch site as well.

I hope all law-enforcement encounters go this smoothly. Lesson learned: Check the B4UFLY app before launch.
You need to check those each time you fly.

Reactions: rx7ward
My 16-year-old was the PIC this morning at Rehobeth Beach, Delaware. He had the Mini2 up about 10 minutes and was about 3/4 of a mile out to sea when a uniformed agent accompanied by local PD arrived at our launch site. Both were extremely cordial.

They asked if we knew about the temporary flight restrictions and when we told him we did not, they advised POTUS was in town and his summer beach house was less than a mile north of us on the beach.

I was amazed (and reassured) that they would be able to detect the aircraft but even more amazed at how quickly they were able to determine and respond to the launch site as well.

I hope all law-enforcement encounters go this smoothly. Lesson learned: Check the B4UFLY app before launch.
Orion - thanks for sharing and as you and others have stated "lesson learned." I'm surprised your controller allowed lift-off? I'm in Los Angeles and the President was in town (downtown) and I'm about 3 miles southwest as I was testing/practicing for a drone-shoot at my home. Anyway, prior to launching my controller indicated a TFR and of course I went through the protocols so that I could launch.

Reactions: WWMav
Being an Aussie and so having my total knowledge of the Secret Service and Presidential detail supplied by Hollywood I have to say I’m impressed with the laid back and real world manner with which they dealt with it all.

Great story with a good outcome and useful lessons learned
Go figure, when he is at his Rehoboth beach house, the no-fly radius is minuscule at 10 miles. When he is at his Greenville residence, it is a hard no-fly zone with a 20-mile radius...

His unannounced vacations/trips have cost me jobs!!
He IS the President of the United States, and his security must always be paramount!

Good encounter and outcome. Perhaps they could also get in touch and let an owner know where their drone is when it gets lost. :cool:

Good encounter and outcome. Perhaps they could also get in touch and let an owner know where their drone is when it gets lost. :cool:
That’d be an interesting flight analysis.

“It’s located in a tree (GR xxxx yyyy), upside down in the big pine tree 80’ up, 3rd branch in the left . . . No, a bit further left !”

• Haha
Reactions: okw

How did you even manage to get the bird into the air..? The DJI app tends to err on the cautious side when it comes to no-fly restrictions.

The DJI app tends to err on the cautious side when it comes to no-fly restrictions.
That's true, however that only applies to airport no-fly zones and other areas. When it comes to NOTAMs and similar warnings that are temporary, they don't update them.

Reactions: rx7ward
That same morning, I was teaching a virtual class that started at 4 AM (overseas participants) and at around 5 AM, I noted a beautiful sunrise in the making. I excused myself for a 10 minute break and put my Mavic Air 2 on the launchpad. I was connected via DJI Fly and boom, red banner appeared, restricted air space, take-off not permitted. I couldn't even spin up my props. And soon I figured out that our local visitor from DC traded in his bicycle, which he has apparent difficulty riding, for his 3 big choppers for his commute back to DC that Monday morning. Three hours later, clear for flight. And so another ruined photo session due to his presence into our local air space! : (

That aside, the DJI app did exactly as I expected under the circumstances. I was in Lewes proper, the same restricted zone, 4.8 miles (as the crow flies) from Biden's summer abode. My firmware and software were all up to date. So why we had very different experiences is a bit of a mystery.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSmithie
I have had the honor to know a couple of Secret Service agents..... they are professional folks tasked with a near thankless job, They sleep badly while being haunted by the things that can go wrong. They get criticized for protecting a person that half the world hates. And they are just people like you and I doing a job to the best of their abiilty.

If I might make a suggestion to those who are not Part 107 holders...
Regardless of your goals as a drone pilot, may I suggest you study for the Part 107 even if you have no intention of taking the test and being Part 107 certified? You don't have to pay for a "course" if you don't care to. But download the FAA part 107 study guide. Take some of the free pre-tests which will show you what you already know and what you don't yet know.

Flying is lots of fun, but as the OP discovered this is not a game and a screw up of any type can be serious. And who knows... Once you get going with the study you might just decide to take the test and become a Part 107 pilot for the extra privileges (i.e. flying higher than 400' AGL near tall structures).
This is why everyone is supposed to take the TRUST test as a recreational user. It informs all about basics like flight restrictions that an uniformed person may otherwise violate who enjoys the hobby as a novelty and nothing more. I have a feeling with the mini 3 pro, especially with it's social media inspired vertical mode we will see more of these encounters.

Go figure, when he is at his Rehoboth beach house, the no-fly radius is minuscule at 10 miles. When he is at his Greenville residence, it is a hard no-fly zone with a 20-mile radius...

His unannounced vacations/trips have cost me jobs!!
The irony.

Reactions: JSmithie
This is why everyone is supposed to take the TRUST test as a recreational user. It informs all about basics like flight restrictions that an uniformed person may otherwise violate who enjoys the hobby as a novelty and nothing more. I have a feeling with the mini 3 pro, especially with it's social media inspired vertical mode we will see more of these encounters.
Actually, everyone is supposed to take the TRUST test, even Part 107 holders. But it is VERY basic. I took the test in the car on vacation in less than 10 minutes. But the TRUST test is a start and I don't think very many people, except for those into drones even know about TRUST.

I still maintain that studying the Part 107 materials is something that serious pilots, even those only aspiring to recreational status should do. There are lots of important nuances that don't make it to the TRUST test. In my case, while I wanted the Part 107 cert, I took my time and studied for 3 months until I was ready to take the Part 107 test. Admittedly there are things in the 107 study guide that have nothing to do with quads or areas that recreational folks will never need to know (i.e. comms). If someone decides they want to take the test, then they can focus on those obtuse areas that quad pilots need to know for the test.

Actually, everyone is supposed to take the TRUST test, even Part 107 holders. But it is VERY basic. I took the test in the car on vacation in less than 10 minutes. But the TRUST test is a start and I don't think very many people, except for those into drones even know about TRUST.

I still maintain that studying the Part 107 materials is something that serious pilots, even those only aspiring to recreational status should do. There are lots of important nuances that don't make it to the TRUST test. In my case, while I wanted the Part 107 cert, I took my time and studied for 3 months until I was ready to take the Part 107 test. Admittedly there are things in the 107 study guide that have nothing to do with quads or areas that recreational folks will never need to know (i.e. comms). If someone decides they want to take the test, then they can focus on those obtuse areas that quad pilots need to know for the test.
That's my point, users should be taking it but where are the disclaimers or capta sign-offs before buying you are aware or made aware of such endorsements? To one businesses credit, I don't recall which one, they had this added to the bottom of the in cart message when attempting to order the Mini 3 pro. They stated therw are various legalities and possible certifications required depending on end user intentions. At least it's a start.

Most federal LE is like this completely every once in a while you will get a dirt bag that goes on a power trip like my ex's SAiC got one day to an unmarked from another agency to someone that out ranked him..... He was not the SAiC for much longer and retired not much longer after that.

That's true, however that only applies to airport no-fly zones and other areas. When it comes to NOTAMs and similar warnings that are temporary, they don't update them.
Actually that's not correct. The DJI flysafe servers do include TFRs, and they are usually updated at least within a few hours of appearing. The most likely reason not to see them when flying is if the mobile device in use either has no cellular connection or is put into airplane mode - then it cannot receive new TFR data.

Reactions: BigAl07
Also as a FYI, I find it highly unlikely that the Secret Service would be using a DJI Chinese aeroscope type of monitoring system the system would come from BAE or another trusted DoD type contractor.

Actually that's not correct. The DJI flysafe servers do include TFRs, and they are usually updated at least within a few hours of appearing. The most likely reason not to see them when flying is if the mobile device in use either has no cellular connection or is put into airplane mode - then it cannot receive new TFR data.
Interesting, but that's the case in big/important places probably, because where I live (Island of Mallorca, Spain) there are always NOTAMs appearing in the official spanish drone/airspace app, however in DJI Fly they don't appear, never. And I'm always connected to mobile data while flying.

Interesting, but that's the case in big/important places probably, because where I live (Island of Mallorca, Spain) there are always NOTAMs appearing in the official spanish drone/airspace app, however in DJI Fly they don't appear, never. And I'm always connected to mobile data while flying.
Okay - I can't comment on how well it works outside the US, but here all TFRs get registered. That's true even of the short-notice, short-duration TFRs that I put in place for emergency operations via the SGI process, which prevent UAV operators from flying until they go through the approval acknowledgement process.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54