DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAS Operator Indicted

@BigAl07 Do you recall when (what year) we were told not to contact ATC and use LAANC or similar.

Hum, not sure way back in July of 2019. Not sure when they changed the contact ATC thing to use LAANC instead.
IIRC is was ~2018

Reactions: Droniac
Being brand new to the sport, the thing about being in touch with the tower at all times threw me for a second, because I was looking at that thinking to myself, "Didn't I just read yesterday, where the only situation in which you would ever talk to ATC is during an emergency?"

Isn't the press just grand...

That was indeed a large ERROR in the article. Obviously he did not contact a Subject Matter Expert (other than a brief google search) before submitting his article.

Unless you have a Waiver/COA specifying to contact the tower (and it will give their requirement how to contact them) you only contact ATC in an Emergency.

Yes I enjoy a free press. It’s a minor mistake by a reporter who doesn’t know much about our niche hobby. I’ve emailed the reporter asking for a correction. I suggest others do as well. Kindly please.

This is such a funny way to describe the size of anything. Does anyone under a certain age even know what a breadbox is? I haven’t seen one in decades. ?
True they make various mistakes on many subjects. They just don't have subject matter experts on every subject especially in smaller towns and cities. A little tolerance wouldn't hurt.

True they make various mistakes on many subjects. They just don't have subject matter experts on every subject especially in smaller towns and cities. A little tolerance wouldn't hurt.
They CAN get a subject matter expert on FAA/Airport procedures and regulations by calling their local FSDO. I know because I've been the one they were referred to.

Bad information is not to be "tolerated". They, just like the rest of us, should be expected to be as accurate as possible. In my job if I'm not accurate and give out bad information I'm going to be looking for a different job fairly quickly. The PRESS doesn't get a PASS on being accurate. If you don't know the FACTS then don't try and make them up. Inexcusable if you ask me.

I heard back from the reporter. He said he took that bit from an affidavit in the search warrant, written by a special agent of the U.S. Department of Transportation. He’s seeking clarification, but Federal offices are closed today because of the holiday.

I heard back from the reporter. He said he took that bit from an affidavit in the search warrant, written by a special agent of the U.S. Department of Transportation. He’s seeking clarification, but Federal offices are closed today because of the holiday.
What federal holiday is today?

Reactions: Droniac
This is truly an issue that is evolving and not in a good way. Disconcerting. (Mod Removed Inappropriate Remark) ??
Accept my apologies. No disrespect intended.

They CAN get a subject matter expert on FAA/Airport procedures and regulations by calling their local FSDO. I know because I've been the one they were referred to.

Bad information is not to be "tolerated". They, just like the rest of us, should be expected to be as accurate as possible. In my job if I'm not accurate and give out bad information I'm going to be looking for a different job fairly quickly. The PRESS doesn't get a PASS on being accurate. If you don't know the FACTS then don't try and make them up. Inexcusable if you ask me.
??

Honestly, I hope they crucify him. You have to be a special kind of stupid to mess with police and firefighters like that and think that it's ok.
As a retired NYC Paramedic I cannot begin to say how ignorant that was. We have a golden hour to get a critical patient to O/Room. We have the “platinum 10minutes” to treat, stabilize and transport.

Jan 27, 2021 · “Failure to register an unmanned aircraft that is required to be registered may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.”

I think this guy deserves the max penalty and it would make a good example.

Reactions: Sparc343

I live near a city of 120,000 people. I remember reading an article a few years ago in the local paper, page 3. The headline was “Three Killed by Gunfire”. When you read the article, you learned that there were three people killed in a knife attack.

I called and spoke with an editor about the misleading headline. He said the people writing headlines only have time to skim the articles.

You don’t need to be a subject matter expert to read the stupid article to come up with a headline that actually has something to do with the article.

Since that time I believe nothing I read in the paper, which is probably why I no longer read the paper.

Best,

MathAddict

Can’t look into people’s heads, but I also just wonder what drives them to do that. Either very uninformed, or very ignorant or rather a mental illness. Just unbelievable sometimes.

Oh, and We still have a breadbox ... doesn’t fly though. ?

Reactions: ckoerner
Proves the old adage - "You can't fix stupid!"
Jim Wright of Stonekettle Station is fond of pointing out that it is indeed entirely possible to fix stupid, but one needs to lay down a lot of plastic sheeting first as the process tends to ruin the carpet.

For those who complain about why we are seeing more and more regulations.... Here is WHY!!

Unfortunately the majority of drone operators haven’t a clue as to the proper rules and regs. We, Meaning those of us who do read forums, register our drones, and follow the rules, are In the minority. RID won’t fix the problem, it will only identify the owner after some sort of accident has happened. I agree with the regulations, just don’t want anyone with a phone app to know who and where I am.

Yep that was indeed stupid.
But y'all need to understand there's truth in the statement:
"You can't fix stupid."
Laws do nothing to prevent.
Just like the Supreme Court ruled that cops have no obligation to protect citizens - only to bring criminals to justice.
Anything else is treading into "Minority Report" territory.

For those who complain about why we are seeing more and more regulations.... Here is WHY!!

Plenty of regulations in place, they simply need to be used.
The USA lately is taking the communist approach of punishing everyone for the actions of the few.

It would be much better solution for all to simply employ smarter enforcement and district attorneys able to perform their job to a satisfactory standard, you know like is expected of everyone else in the world. Their failure to enforce the laws combined with the lack of education of the public results in hostile environment for the drone hobby.

This guy must have been drunk flying, on drugs or have serious mental illness. Why would anyone fly in such a way, then ask the police if he could get the drone back. There has to be something wrong with this person. The news investigators didn't do any investigating into the drone operator or ask themselves why would someone do that? I wonder if they tried interviewing the person or family members or even do a simple google or facebook search on the guy. It seems like he did this on purpose, just to get attention. 15 minutes of infamous fame.
No one ever said scofflaws had any intelligence!

Still perplexed as to why the FAA considers tinywhoops flown FPV to be lethal - when they aren't lethal no matter how you fly em. The FAA is either stupid, or hiding an agenda under the guise of safety.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters