DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAS Operator Indicted

Still perplexed as to why the FAA considers tinywhoops flown FPV to be lethal - when they aren't lethal no matter how you fly em. The FAA is either stupid, or hiding an agenda under the guise of safety.

Exactly at what point do you suggest the classification is between small UAS and not small UAS?

This is such a funny way to describe the size of anything. Does anyone under a certain age even know what a breadbox is? I haven’t seen one in decades. ?
I was out shopping for a breadbox. When the clerk asked me how big of a breadbox I wanted, I told him, "drone-sized."

It's always a few bad apples. Pretty soon, if these miscreants keep up their antics, we'll see UAVs outlawed completely. The law-abiding recreational pilots will be up the proverbial creek without the proverbial propulsion device.

It's always a few bad apples. Pretty soon, if these miscreants keep up their antics, we'll see UAVs outlawed completely. The law-abiding recreational pilots will be up the proverbial creek without the proverbial propulsion device.
There will always be people like this guy pushing the limits of the laws, just like all the poor news reporting that goes on daily. Hopefully with enough enforcement, fines and education, it will push things toward a more positive future outcome for drones in general. I've only been into quads since 2016. Back then the only thing I knew was through friends who flew fixed wing RC aircraft. I learned a few right and wrong rules but the manufacture didn't do much to educate me as a new drone operator. Youtube was filled with people doing 5 mile flights and showing up at places a drone shouldn't be. The friend who pushed me into making a drone purchase flew his less than a 1/2 mile from an active non-tower airport. I asked if that was legal and he said he didn't know or really care. He has a different view now days because he's learned a bit about it from some operators being fined along with chatter from others in our flying club in regards to flight rules. In 2018 things got a bit clearer regarding some of the rules but it was still somewhat vague to me. I still think certain basic rules are not observed by people making a purchase even today. As time has moved on, more newbies are understanding just how much trouble you can get into with an RC aircraft. But my buddy would have never considered flying how this guy did back in 2019 by interfering with emergency operations. Some people are plain ignorant. Reminds me of poaches or idiots with laser pointers flashing incoming aircraft. Many know right from wrong and just don't care.

This unfortunately is going to be a huge problem. The General Public doesn’t realize that what once was a toy and a hobby is turning into a FAA Regulated Aircraft and a new National Airspace System. For 20 years I flew Professionally a Week and for Fun a Week, so I can see it from both sides...This story as well as the guy hitting Cop Copter in Ca and “Mikey” from “Philly” needs to get National Attention in a way to inform the General Public it is in the spirit of Safety & Not that their Rights are being taken away! Folks we are 3-5 Years from Part 135 Operations being conducted in the Package Delivery Service...and the folks building the “Low Level” NAS are having to consider issues (like drones flying over houses every 10 minutes) that before now had never had to be addressed. All the while still affording the recreational Pilot their rights as well…and unfortunately not everyone is going to be happy about it, but it is what it is. I get mad at some of the stupid things that the FAA does (like BVLOS limits)but in the End we all need to work together and promote UAS in a Positive light, because it is definitely coming!...”And That’s All I Got to Say About That”
I’m now taking off my cheerleading outfit!

Reactions: Armillaria
This is such a funny way to describe the size of anything. Does anyone under a certain age even know what a breadbox is? I haven’t seen one in decades. ?
That’s probably because you’re American and less familiar with the metric system/SI. A breadbox is a standard unit under that system for measuring vaguely small things. The original “official” breadbox is located in The Hague, although since 2009 its size is defined by an algorithm based on the half-life of a pumpernickel molecule.

That’s probably because you’re American and less familiar with the metric system/SI. A breadbox is a standard unit under that system for measuring vaguely small things. The original “official” breadbox is located in The Hague, although since 2009 its size is defined by an algorithm based on the half-life of a pumpernickel molecule.
Had me going there for a minute...

Had me going there for a minute...
Yeah, I was like, what kind of backwards (Mod Removed Language) measurement system did some idiot scientist make up this time. A breadbox unit is exactly the value of Pi multiplied by the average shelf life of 1 slice of pumpernickel bread encased in a sterilized vaccuum sealed breadbox, currently located in the Hague for over 1 century. This form of measurement is in common use in the UK, Bolivia, Iran, Iraq, and Canada. From Wikidiots.com

They had to dumb it down to "bread box" size due to the severely dumbed down American public and it's educational institutions. I guess the average person can't distinguish the difference between 1 foot, 1 yard, 1cm, 1 meter, etc etc. This is just an example of how dumb the news media believes the general public is.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the original point of the post: Take a look at any of the numerous Facebook drone groups and you'll see many people openly posting violations of FAA regulations, while at the same time bragging of their right to fly anyway and anywhere they choose. It sucks that the public perception of this childish behavior paints all drone pilots with a broad brush of being a bunch of crazies having no respect for regulations, safety or anyone's privacy. I'm surprised the FAA hasn't already more strictly regulated the use of hobby-type drones, if not planning to outright ban them at some point.

To the original point of the post: Take a look at any of the numerous Facebook drone groups and you'll see many people openly posting violations of FAA regulations, while at the same time bragging of their right to fly anyway and anywhere they choose. It sucks that the public perception of this childish behavior paints all drone pilots with a broad brush of being a bunch of crazies having no respect for regulations, safety or anyone's privacy. I'm surprised the FAA hasn't already more strictly regulated the use of hobby-type drones, if not planning to outright ban them at some point.
Sort of like quarantine in place, yet countless people ignore it jeopardizing others who obey the request.

Update on this dingus. He's pleaded guilty to the charges.

I still hope they make an example out of him. Total negligence and gross recklessness not to mention violating local and FAA rules. He should get the full punishment and be BANNED from owning/operating a UAS every again "legally".

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Not surprising he plead guilty.....his n**s were in the blender!

He was probably offered a plea bargain to plead guilty. His lawyer and the DA probably had a long discussion before the plea bargain was accepted. I wonder if they will release the results of his sentencing. I know it should be public record, but now and then judges seal case sentencing. If, it is a plea bargain and the sentencing is made public, expect it not to be too severe.

Reactions: BigAl07
I want to know how much this braniac had to pay in legal fees and fines. In fact, that information should be the headline to hopefully convince other brainiacs this type of stuff is a bad idea.

Mark

Exactly at what point do you suggest the classification is between small UAS and not small UAS?
They could start with ducted tinywhoops weighing under 2 oz flying on 1s. These have thousands of flight hours already - with no incidents. This isn't rocket science - the FAA just has to stop crossing its legs and saying no.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest