DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Insurance - Getting your drone covered.....

Saj

Reactions
Hi,

Just wanted to share something with everyone in the UK.

Prior to purchasing my Mavic Pro, I did some research on insurance options. I fly mine as a hobby and do not complete any commercial work with it.

I contacted a number of Home Insurance companies and all of the said no to covering the Drone.

However, when I contacted Zurich, they confirmed it would be covered under personal possessions and accidental cover, if you select this.

In order to get this on the record, I rang Zurich and agreed with the adviser that I would be recording the call.

I advised him that I wish to take out Home Contents Insurance with Accidental Cover and I have a Mavic Pro Fly More Combo which I wish to include. He checked with the "technical department" and the "underwriters" who confirmed that the drone is classed as a "toy" and would be covered under the Insurance.

He said there is no need to specifically list the item as it comes under personal possessions upto 2k. However, I went ahead and listed the item specifically as "DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo Drone" at the value of £1500.

I then queried the terms and conditions:

"Contents are not: • vehicles and craft and their accessories other than removable audio and satellite navigation equipment not in the vehicle"

The adviser pointed me to the definitions for "Vehicles and Craft":

"Vehicles and craft – any electrically or mechanically-powered vehicles, caravans, trailers, watercraft including surfboards, land windsurfing vehicles, hovercraft, aircraft, all-terrain vehicles or quad bikes (but not domestic gardening equipment, battery-operated golf trolleys or wheelchairs, battery or pedestrianoperated models or toys)"

He confirmed the underwriters have stated a drone is classified as a "toy" and not a "vehicle or craft" and it would be covered.

I asked if I crashed the drone into a wall or lost it into water would it be covered under accidental cover, he confirmed it would.

As a bonus, he also confirmed the public liability on the Insurance would also apply to drones.

I got all this in a telephone recording which I have safely stored away and purchased the insurance.

Hope that helps someone.

I am guessing this is the reason that Zurich insurance policies are more expensive than most of other companies... Thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick