DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Insurance - Getting your drone covered.....

Saj

Reactions
Hi,

Just wanted to share something with everyone in the UK.

Prior to purchasing my Mavic Pro, I did some research on insurance options. I fly mine as a hobby and do not complete any commercial work with it.

I contacted a number of Home Insurance companies and all of the said no to covering the Drone.

However, when I contacted Zurich, they confirmed it would be covered under personal possessions and accidental cover, if you select this.

In order to get this on the record, I rang Zurich and agreed with the adviser that I would be recording the call.

I advised him that I wish to take out Home Contents Insurance with Accidental Cover and I have a Mavic Pro Fly More Combo which I wish to include. He checked with the "technical department" and the "underwriters" who confirmed that the drone is classed as a "toy" and would be covered under the Insurance.

He said there is no need to specifically list the item as it comes under personal possessions upto 2k. However, I went ahead and listed the item specifically as "DJI Mavic Pro Fly More Combo Drone" at the value of £1500.

I then queried the terms and conditions:

"Contents are not: • vehicles and craft and their accessories other than removable audio and satellite navigation equipment not in the vehicle"

The adviser pointed me to the definitions for "Vehicles and Craft":

"Vehicles and craft – any electrically or mechanically-powered vehicles, caravans, trailers, watercraft including surfboards, land windsurfing vehicles, hovercraft, aircraft, all-terrain vehicles or quad bikes (but not domestic gardening equipment, battery-operated golf trolleys or wheelchairs, battery or pedestrianoperated models or toys)"

He confirmed the underwriters have stated a drone is classified as a "toy" and not a "vehicle or craft" and it would be covered.

I asked if I crashed the drone into a wall or lost it into water would it be covered under accidental cover, he confirmed it would.

As a bonus, he also confirmed the public liability on the Insurance would also apply to drones.

I got all this in a telephone recording which I have safely stored away and purchased the insurance.

Hope that helps someone.

I am guessing this is the reason that Zurich insurance policies are more expensive than most of other companies... Thanks for sharing!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925