DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Pilots - in the south

Hi up & Adam where in the new forest do you fly , trouble for me I live right under bournemouth flight path so I have to travel and I was looking for good place to fly .

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

There's a place called Picket Post along the A31. From Bournemouth just pull off at the shell garage, go under the A31 and out the other side, there's a car park to the right hand side about 100m past the cattle grid.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I was planning to get out to Box Hill tomorrow and see if I can fly there, only to find out that it's a National Trust location and therefore no drones allowed (certainly no hobby pilots).

What's the situation with areas designated Area of National Beauty (ANOB on maps)? Are those also National Trust or can we fly there? I'm really struggling to find anywhere that I can fly my Mavic at the moment, so far only managing to use two local parks.

I just checked the Drone Assist app and there are no restrictions shown at box hill other than a couple of ground hazards.

Just checked the link and the first thing that jumps out is ........

The overall legal position regarding drones is somewhat "unclear" ....... in other words they have no idea.

Its perfectly straight forward according to the CAA website where you can fly and the distance from people and buildings.

the line about data protection is just laughable.... you are filming in public.

Personally I would just crack on and deal with a problem "if" it happens or exists. I have insurance so that side is not a problem.

The National Trust are particularly protective of photography at their sites, there are reports that they have actively chased people who sell stock photos of their locations even if they were taken from a public location off of their sites. From a drone perspective, most of their locations do attract many visitors and therefore could be seen as a place where there is a significant gathering of people. In my opinion it's a case of risk and personally avoid them along with anywhere which is designated a nature reserve as you leave yourself open to criticism (rightly or wrongly). I know which way the general public would fall if anything was to happen. So far being discrete, courteous, and thoughtful of the impact has served me well and only attracted positive interest.

That stood out to me to. I'm not bothered about any data protection claims. I'm a BMFA member so have the liability insurance too. Maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow
-----------------------------------
Change of plan - if I get out to fly today I'm going to try Newlands Corner and then maybe Frensham Great Pond (not the small one, that's National Trust too!!!)

Sent from my SM-G920F using MavicPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Box Hill isn't exactly a stately home. It has an expensive cafe and a shed in the carpark selling NT memberships. Unless it's a super busy summers day, I highly doubt anybody will have anything against people flying a drone on the hill. I have been there many times and seen people flying model aircraft. Seems to be quite acceptable there.

Reactions: Mike_in_Letcombe
hey guys, I'm in Fulham!
I have only taken mine out once since it arrived but been flying a P2 for a while now.
where about have you been flying?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
I've flown in Wandsworth Park a couple of times, but there's so little space you soon get tired of that location. I tend to take it out of London to fly now. I have a lot of family in Suffolk, and it's a lot easier to fly there without breaking any rules.

Reactions: Soundtekk
The National Trust seem to be saying that their 'rules' override the law, the guidelines issued by the CAA and are now claiming that they own all airspace above their properties - a claim which is disproved by law. They have no problem with people on the ground carrying cameras, so their data protection claims are spurious. They have no problem with people flying kites off their properties, even though they would be above the other visitors and are therefore subject to the same CAA guidelines - which are very specific: 50 metres from buildings or people outside your control or 150 metres over 'large crowds' (i.e. built up areas) which the NT properties blatantly don't fall into. I also have third-party insurance (BMFA membership) so their ludicrous claims about potential damage are covered. I would love to see a concerted 'group' effort to challenge the NT in court, to simply ask them to comply with existing CAA regulations aimed at private, non-commercial use of hobby drones. I shall be up on a cliff walk later this year, in the South West, where I shall be flying my Mavic out to sea, over waterfalls and 'tracking' myself along the pathways. I doubt there will be another human within a mile of me but, according to the NT, I'm not allowed to do this. Ludicrous policy which seems to be aimed at protecting their revenue of selling postcards, not protecting people.

I am flying in wiltshire and North of devizes. Loads of areas on the Ridgeway between devizes and Marlborough. Any hard to get to places I fly from public byways and bridleways this is public and no one can bother you even NT by law

Reactions: Evo1668
I am flying in wiltshire and North of devizes. Loads of areas on the Ridgeway between devizes and Marlborough. Any hard to get to places I fly from public byways and bridleways this is public and no one can bother you even NT by law

I'm in the same area. If you ever fancy meeting up to fly around Wiltshire drop me a line. I'm 7 miles west of Devizes

I'm not too far away - would love to maybe meet up and get 3 Mavics up in the area.
Count me in Mike, if Sday replies maybe we can all meet up one weekend. I fancy capturing footage of the 5 main White horses in Wiltshire. I drive past two of them most days one at Cherhill Downs and the other at Hackpen Hill. The Westbury one is the oldest and biggest, but you do have to watch out as hangliders and paragliders use the site quite a bit.
I also fancy doing Sheerwater close to Longleat. There are some great forest walks all over the area to practice close flying skills....I bet you have some great places in Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus