DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Rules "cheat sheet"

scro

Reactions
Does anyone in the UK know of a good "cheat sheet" for the current sub-250g drone rules? I'm after a simple 1-page summary for stashing in my drone bag, and having handy to show anyone who may "challenge"

I went for a flight in the evening to get a few shots of some public gardens in the town centre that are getting renovated. The flight was all within the regs and conducted safely and sensibly. There were very few people about. However, a police van that was on general patrol duties stopped and they asked a few questions, took details etc and then let me continue flying. They soon came back, having been send some of the rules (for over 250g drones) from thier HQ, and asked me to stop flying or they'd need to charge me. I had a polite and respectful chat with them and explained the current rules, and that I was actually allowed to fly there in the way I was. They were quite amenable and acknowledged they were not too familiar with the drone rules, and didn't insist I stop once they understood the rules a bit better. I ended my flight (the lighting wasn't great) and they left me in peace without any further bother.

In short, the situation could have gone smoother if I had a simple 1 sheet summary I could show them, and the police even said that would be helpful for them too.

• Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
The only thing is, a cheat sheet is likely compiled by someone else. If such a thing were issued by the CAA on headed paper it would be great but compiled by someone else it carries less weight. Perhaps a copy of the CAA regs and an obvious summary of them would be better.

Reactions: scro
They're nearly identical. 👍 I think that was the intention, that they were essentially equivalent to EASA rules.

Does anyone in the UK know of a good "cheat sheet" for the current sub-250g drone rules? I'm after a simple 1-page summary for stashing in my drone bag, and having handy to show anyone who may "challenge"

I went for a flight in the evening to get a few shots of some public gardens in the town centre that are getting renovated. The flight was all within the regs and conducted safely and sensibly. There were very few people about. However, a police van that was on general patrol duties stopped and they asked a few questions, took details etc and then let me continue flying. They soon came back, having been send some of the rules (for over 250g drones) from thier HQ, and asked me to stop flying or they'd need to charge me. I had a polite and respectful chat with them and explained the current rules, and that I was actually allowed to fly there in the way I was. They were quite amenable and acknowledged they were not too familiar with the drone rules, and didn't insist I stop once they understood the rules a bit better. I ended my flight (the lighting wasn't great) and they left me in peace without any further bother.

In short, the situation could have gone smoother if I had a simple 1 sheet summary I could show them, and the police even said that would be helpful for them too.

BASIC OPEN A1 AND A3 RULES
Drones must have a take-off mass of less than 25kg
Always keep the drone below an altitude of 400 feet
Keep the drone at least 50m from people you don’t know though you can fly closer to friends and family
If your drone is below 250g in weight (like the DJI Mini 2), you can fly closer than 50m to people you don’t know and even fly over them – with care
You cannot fly over crowds
Keep at least 150m away from residential, recreational, commercial and industrial areas if flying a drone over 250g. That’s pretty much every decent drone on the market bar the remarkable little DJI Mini 2
FPV flight must be performed within visual line of sight
The FPV pilot must be accompanied by a spotter who is alongside the pilot. The spotter must not use any form of aided vision like binoculars
Absolutely stay well away from airports of any size

BASIC OPEN A1 AND A3 RULES
Drones must have a take-off mass of less than 25kg
Always keep the drone below an altitude of 400 feet
Keep the drone at least 50m from people you don’t know though you can fly closer to friends and family
If your drone is below 250g in weight (like the DJI Mini 2), you can fly closer than 50m to people you don’t know and even fly over them – with care
You cannot fly over crowds
Keep at least 150m away from residential, recreational, commercial and industrial areas if flying a drone over 250g. That’s pretty much every decent drone on the market bar the remarkable little DJI Mini 2
FPV flight must be performed within visual line of sight
The FPV pilot must be accompanied by a spotter who is alongside the pilot. The spotter must not use any form of aided vision like binoculars
Absolutely stay well away from airports of any size
Check the link in post number 3. There's a nice cheat sheet there. I've printed one out for my drone bag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne