DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK to bring in Drone Registration and Mandatory courses

If it is done in collaboration with the BMFA and flying clubs should not be to much of an issue it could be easy to take the test at your local flying club, could be lots of applications for club memberships comping up
You have to be a BMFA member to fly at the few public parks that allow drones in Bristol. If you read their magazine they are as anti drone as the rest of the public. It's too easy to fly/no skill involved etc.etc.

Reactions: HSK
I get how this works if I buy a drone "off the shelf" where the shop will be required to get my details - like they do if I buy a TV or something capable of receiving a TV signal.
However, if I build my own drone I wonder which part will require the shop to register my details?

The bloke on the news stated-
" I am not sure how it will work yet but maybe dedicated areas for flying drones like we have set in place for model planes".
How the hell would that work.I love just to fly my drone for fun but firstly it's a flying camera.I want to be able to fly it anywhere (within the rules and common sense) to capture pictures and video.If I am restricted to a field in the middle of nowhere what's the point of owning a drone.
I know I am stating the worst case scenario but let's all hope the proposed regulations are sensible.
Where I live we have the Sunderland air show this weekend.I can read the headline now."Ariel wing walkers near miss with drone".Lets hope not.

Reactions: M4RK and Enigma
Hopefully it will be easily implemented via online registration with an online test. DJI have shown how they can restrict your altitude and distance unless you're logged into the Go 4 app, and DJI have said they're fully behind this move. So if you register and pass your 'idiots guide to avoiding aircraft' online test then that can be registered against your DJI account and so you'd not have a low height and distance restriction.

Ian

Ian in London

^ Yep sounds familiar, I'm a member of a couple of flying clubs and the bmfa - they hate Heli guys, and drones from my experience.

The issue they have is probably centred on the fact that they learned to fly aircraft that can be pretty tricky to fly and they fly for the sake of flying, whereas many if not most drone boys are flying to take pictures and video footage, using aircraft that are literally as simple as switch on and press the buttons....

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

The bloke on the news stated-
" I am not sure how it will work yet but maybe dedicated areas for flying drones like we have set in place for model planes".
How the **** would that work.I love just to fly my drone for fun but firstly it's a flying camera.I want to be able to fly it anywhere (within the rules and common sense) to capture pictures and video.If I am restricted to a field in the middle of nowhere what's the point of owning a drone.
I know I am stating the worst case scenario but let's all hope the proposed regulations are sensible.
Where I live we have the Sunderland air show this weekend.I can read the headline now."Ariel wing walkers near miss with drone".Lets hope not.

I feel sorry for the traditional model club flyers, like i was, who may have to adhere to new regs, through no fault of their own.

I know the statement said "for Drones", who defines what a drone is.

Until there is a clear way forward, i will be holding back on further investment.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the traditional model club flyers, like i was, who may have to adhere to new regs, through no fault of their own.

I know the statement said "for Drones", who defines what a drone is.

Until there is a clear way forward, i will be holding back on further investment.

The CAA is pretty clear on what a drone is and its definition. It's very easy to legislate for different types of aircraft. They should be unaffected.... And TBH, I can't see genuine drone users being affected too much by this either.

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London

Reactions: Enigma
How is this going to stop the idiots who miss use a drone ?? it isn't

who sets the fee for a commercial drone licence as I am trying to work out how any one can charge me £1,500 for a certificate that says I have common sense and competent at flying a drone

I can get a shot gun licence for £79 and I reckon that's more dangerous in any situation

Surely this plan suffers from the issue that, like this forum, only those who are already generally following the CAA rules will be registered.

Those determined to flaunt guidelines will always stay outside of any regulation and continue to pose a risk.

The suggestion I have seen this morning in some
Surely this plan suffers from the issue that, like this forum, only those who are already generally following the CAA rules will be registered.

Those determined to flaunt guidelines will always stay outside of any regulation and continue to pose a risk.

There's a lot of if, what and but information floating around this morning but
Not many bmfa clubs accept multirotors

Thats my observation too. Two clubs around here with dedicated flying areas but wouldn't accept drones which was a shame as I was keen to learn and in the end had to teach myself.

That is a pity I belong to a flying club learnt to fly and still fly fixed wing aircraft and helicopters without any electronic assistance just using my fingers and eye's, we fly all types of models including the Mavic there are several in the club some members are dedicated to a particular discipline or fly all sorts such as myself we all get along very well quite often with different types of aircraft in the air at the same time, if model flying of any type is to continue we all need to get along together, clubs that refuse to accept new technology and ideas may fall by the wayside, we all young and old need to take other people's views into consideration even non flyers but maybe that may be to much to ask especially in this ever crowded world we live in

Reactions: Andrew Wright
I am all for registration and a safety course and test. It won't be as in depth as the course that allows one to start a business. Tough it would be helpful for everyone fling to know the rules "witch are most of the time just common sense" (unless you are in Canada, those rules are senseless) and it won't be able to police all the drones all the time. Registration will how ever let the authorities know who the drone belongs to it it is involved in a crash " of they can find the bits" so some good can come from this. As for saying that it would prevent drug/weapon drops in jail yards, it won't. Because just as no one is going to use a registered car or gun to pull of a crime. No one is going to use a registered drone to commit a crime. And to chase every drone to ask the pilot to see the regeneration will just load the already thinly stretched police force.

How is this going to stop the idiots who miss use a drone ?? it isn't

who sets the fee for a commercial drone licence as I am trying to work out how any one can charge me £1,500 for a certificate that says I have common sense and competent at flying a drone

I can get a shot gun licence for £79 and I reckon that's more dangerous in any situation

Just got my shot gun renewal,£49.
Yes got to agree that this registration of drones will be I imagine way more.
I of cause will pay but as mentioned a few times in this thread those that want to fly recklessly will carry on.

I am all for registration and a safety course and test. It won't be as in depth as the course that allows one to start a business. Tough it would be helpful for everyone fling to know the rules "witch are most of the time just common sense" (unless you are in Canada, those rules are senseless) and it won't be able to police all the drones all the time. Registration will how ever let the authorities know who the drone belongs to it it is involved in a crash " of they can find the bits" so some good can come from this. As for saying that it would prevent drug/weapon drops in jail yards, it won't. Because just as no one is going to use a registered car or gun to pull of a crime. No one is going to use a registered drone to commit a crime. And to chase every drone to ask the pilot to see the regeneration will just load the already thinly stretched police force.
It won't be anything near to a course. It will be an online tick the box these are the rules check.

It won't be anything near to a course. It will be an online tick the box these are the rules check.
Then it would be pointless. Drones are to easy to fly now and people should know wat they may or may not do. I think it could be a great idea if for instance dji would give a training voucher with every quad sold. Then you have a choice to take a short half day course to know the do's and don't.

Then it would be pointless. Drones are to easy to fly now and people should know wat they may or may not do. I think it could be a great idea if for instance dji would give a training voucher with every quad sold. Then you have a choice to take a short half day course to know the do's and don't.
Well, it being pointless depends how you look at it. Nobody is saying, you need to be trained to fly a drone correctly and within the rules. What people do need to learn is how to follow the rules. They stated most of the people who broke the rules, were unaware of them. Sure, I could just say that to try and make myself look blameless, but I'm sure there were many people that are unaware of them. You might be lucky to get a information leaflet with your drone with the guidelines, or maybe on the website. But does everyone read them? I've bought many low cost syma drones, they didn't come with anything.

This would be a government exercise to make sure you've read those rules, ticked the boxes, back covered for when you do bad.

People who want to do bad still will, so in that perspective you can say it's pointless.

Expecting anyone to give training is a bit far fetched. I know DJI did offer a same day quick setup and introduction to the drones over in the US in certain cities. But yea I doubt you will ever see that as compulsory and there are many other drone products / companies out there apart from DJI.

Reactions: scooot
A short time back the BMFA had a drone aware initiative and our club volunteered to help with making our field available with members with good knowledge in the subject and ready to assist any potential or owners of drones of any type and we had no takers a bit disappointing, I was recently at a static display with one members multi rota aircraft on display a lot of interest and questions so good advice was given also the BMFA guide for safe flying and operation of drones was freely available and was given to interested people, but what ever you do voluntary or compulsory as drones become more popular more affordable and the need for any flying skills engineered out so making it possible for absolutely any one to take one out of a box and send it off without it crashing, a serious accident will be ever more likely which will be a disaster for all whatever type of model flying you take part in

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin