DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK to bring in Drone Registration and Mandatory courses

Well, it being pointless depends how you look at it. Nobody is saying, you need to be trained to fly a drone correctly and within the rules. What people do need to learn is how to follow the rules. They stated most of the people who broke the rules, were unaware of them. Sure, I could just say that to try and make myself look blameless, but I'm sure there were many people that are unaware of them. You might be lucky to get a information leaflet with your drone with the guidelines, or maybe on the website. But does everyone read them? I've bought many low cost syma drones, they didn't come with anything.

This would be a government exercise to make sure you've read those rules, ticked the boxes, back covered for when you do bad.

People who want to do bad still will, so in that perspective you can say it's pointless.

Expecting anyone to give training is a bit far fetched. I know DJI did offer a same day quick setup and introduction to the drones over in the US in certain cities. But yea I doubt you will ever see that as compulsory and there are many other drone products / companies out there apart from DJI.

I am yet to get my Mavic but reading the UK news today (see link below) showing the stupidity of some people worries me that they are going to make it even harder to fly as freely as possible. I fully agree with registering your drone. I am a gun owner in the UK and fully follow the law and control my guns at all times but as everyone knows, it is the uncontrolled guns that are the issue and I feel this will be the case when this new proposed legislation for drones comes in. Unregistered drones causing the headlines will restrict the registered due to public concerns.

'My fingers were almost cut off by a drone' - BBC News

Same with dogs, right? It's the dogs that aren't chipped and registered to their owners that seem to be in the news for all the wrong reasons, leaving responsible dog owners with a bad name :(

Thinks it's started- middle of a big field- plod on bicycle stops watches me and take photos of my car reg..... maybe the smell of drugs in the local pub would be more a target....

Thinks it's started- middle of a big field- plod on bicycle stops watches me and take photos of my car reg..... maybe the smell of drugs in the local pub would be more a target....

By saying plod are you in uk.
Surely he can't just take a photo of your car reg without explaining why.
I would of questioned his actions.

I am yet to get my Mavic but reading the UK news today (see link below) showing the stupidity of some people worries me that they are going to make it even harder to fly as freely as possible. I fully agree with registering your drone. I am a gun owner in the UK and fully follow the law and control my guns at all times but as everyone knows, it is the uncontrolled guns that are the issue and I feel this will be the case when this new proposed legislation for drones comes in. Unregistered drones causing the headlines will restrict the registered due to public concerns.

They are really going for it with stupid stories like this now.
I wonder if the proposed test will have a helpful section on how to stitch your own fingers when you put them in the props - "which are like kitchen knives whirling round" :eek:
Helpful links to 'orb-shaped' drones '500 metres' from a plane at Heathrow.

Now why the hell would you grab a drone whilst it's flying?? Geezus no wonder he got injured lol.
Bit of a stupid thing to do, it almost happened to one of my friends. Was out flying my drone and let it hover a few ft above the ground. My mate for some weird reason decided to try and grab it, luckily I took it up a little higher so he couldn't reach it. Had a right pop at him, saying WTF is wrong with u?? Managed to make him understand that those props are spinning quite fast and had he grabbed it, he could have and would have injured himself quite badly. Which I told him I would not be liable for any of his injuries due to his stupidity.

Let's just say that was and is the last time I asked him to come drone flying with me.

I know this is a bit off topic but I watched a show last night on what powers does Queen of England have, and it was absolutely freaking mind blowing!

While she only rarely exercises these powers she has the same powers that any King or Queen from 1675 might have had.

She can:

1) Declare War on her own.
2) Completely control the military if she wants
3) Can appoint a Prime Minister regardless of election results.
4) Can nullify any law or create one.
5) Can fire and replace an elected Prime Minister.
6) Is immune from the law, Globally! Yes she can murder someone and no charges can be bought against her. If she does it in another country and they hold onto her, the full brunt, including the nuclear arsenal of the UK can be used to force her to be freed.
7) She can have any citizen arrested even if there are no charges and can have them detained indefinitely.
8) She can confiscate any piece of land that she wants and add it to her collection.
9) If you don't like what she is doing she can have you executed and since she is completely immune from the legal system there is not much that can be done about it.

Now sure the old lady is nice and we know she would never do any of these things but she wont be around forever and more importantly it really highlights the incredible power the monarchy holds in the UK.

Rob

Last edited:
I know this is a bit off topic but I watched a show last night on what powers does Queen of England have, and it was absolutely freaking mind blowing!

While she only rarely exercises these powers she has the same powers that any King or Queen from 1675 might have had.

She can:

6) Is immune from the law, Globally! Yes she can murder someone and no charges can be bought against her. If she does it in another country and they hold onto her, the full brunt, including the nuclear arsenal of the UK can be used force her to be freed.
7) She can have any citizen arrested even if there are no charges and can have them detained indefinitely.
8) She can confiscate any piece of land that she wants and add it to her collection.
9) If you don't like what she is doing she can have you executed and since she is completely immune from the legal system there is not much that can be done about it.

Now sure the old lady is nice and we know she would never do any of these things but she wont be around forever and more importantly it really highlights the incredible power the monarchy holds in the UK.

Rob

And have her daughter in law murdered if you believe the conspiracy theories.But it is really Phillip that's running the show.

She can:

6) Is immune from the law, Globally! Yes she can murder someone and no charges can be bought against her. If she does it in another country and they hold onto her, the full brunt, including the nuclear arsenal of the UK can be used to force her to be freed.

Rob
A BIT off topic? ROTFLMAO......... :) :) :)

This is all BS really, it doesnt take a genious to work out what kind of simpleton decides one day that it would be a really good idea to take off at the end of a run way and film passeger jets departing and arriving an international airport. These bottom feeders are the kind that get up mid week at 10am, watch their kin folk on Jeremy Kyle, get in the car they stole last night to go have fun at said airport with a drone they bought off a mate in the red lion! Cops may end up taking them home at the end of the day with a slap wrist and a court notice but thats the last Bazza will hear about it. These muppets are untouchable because there are no penaulties that can hurt Baz and his mates and you can forget prison unless he commits armed robbery on his way to the airport. The UK is plagued with useless dickheads like this.. and we pay for it, simple.

Reactions: gnirtS
Unfortunately the recent news articles on near misses seem to centre mainly on DJI drones (at least as far as the media is concerned) - its usually a picture of a Phantom or a Mavic they use. The BBC article recently even involved a DJI spokesman stating they will work closely with the authorities to improve security features and geo-fencing which had been by-passed. It seems likely that when these tests / courses are brought in eventually we will all be paying the price because of the stupid few. What annoys me is that DJI will be leading the pack with these security enhancements which will affect most of us before other drone owners - lower grade less sophisticated drones probably wont be affected as much and anything built by a drone enthusiast isnt going to be affected as far as inbuilt security restrictions but anyone with a DJI product is going to be affected first. I put this down to the idiots out there flaunting their 'right' to fly where they want, giving the media an excuse and the naive idiots on this forum who didnt realise that their 'hush hush' clandestine posts about hacking / altering parameters on the Mavic to enable others to fly irresponsibly wouldnt be picked up by DJI who would then jump on the media bandwagon about restricting operations - afterall, any publicity is good publicity. Well done all, great job. :rolleyes:

By saying plod are you in uk.
Surely he can't just take a photo of your car reg without explaining why.
I would of questioned his actions.

Yep Lincolnshire- I never asked , just saw him get out the note book and pen looking at my parked car....

I really welcome this. As a pilot that abides my the current CCA rules, I am totally fed up of the small minority of people who choose to break the law and potentially ruin it for everybody else.
If you're happy with your rulers, rattle your chains!

I suspect that it is the people that buy a Toy drone online or from a gadget shop that are causing the problems we hear about, the ones with really bad cameras that are cheap, £70 to a £100 or so, I call those Toys.

"Real" Quadcoptors/Drones like our beloved DJI Mavic Pro are far from Toys as we treat/fly them properly within the guide lines/Laws as we have paid out a good chunk of money for them.

I personally dont see what good these proposed rules will do. These rules are recommended by the Pilots association to the department for transport in fear of near misses etc to planes at mainly major airports such as Heathrow. While i understand the concerns i think a lot of it is over exaggeration, only recently i read a report that what a pilot reported as a drone near miss turned out to be a large bat. Geo fencing is already used by the main reputable drone manufacturers like DJI at major airports, regional airfields and prisons etc. Those that by cheap toy or build your own drone kits etc will always be able to flaunt the rules and ovoid no fly zones. Licensing and an awareness test will not be able to be enforced with individuals who have no regard for safety. If some one really wants to purposely endanger an aircraft then there is unfortunately no stopping them. The proposed license and test will only inconvenience the rest of us that fly safe and abide by current CAA rules. The best rule is of course common sense.

Reactions: scotty7367
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3