DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to control during Waypoints - crash

MonoliYoda

Reactions
Hey fellow pilots. I would like to confirm whether I made a mistake or something went wrong in the DJI soft/firm-ware.

Beautiful calm day, i set up some waypoints and clicked GO. My Mavic 2 took off, reached altitude of 15m and started heading towards the first waypoint at ~23km/h.

Here’s where the trouble starts:
Maintaining constant VLOS, i noticed one tree on Mavic’s path was a little taller than i expected, so i hit the throttle up 100% to make it exit Waypoint mode and go over it, so i could bring it back home. No response. Front sensors detected the leaves, so it stopped in front of them. Throttle 100%, no response. It did however respond to a yaw command, i wanted to turn left and see if i can fly out of the canopy that way. After turning 90 degrees, the front sensors no longer detected the obstacle and it continued to the waypoint and flew sideways into the branches....

What did i do wrong? Why did it not respond to me wanting to increase altitude? Now it’s stuck at ~12m and the front landing legs are doing a superb job at hooking onto the branches.

Firmware and app updated 2 days ago,

Reactions: Former Member
You need to hit Pause button on the controller or the small red x on the phone screen to leave the waypoints mode. Then you can get away from the obstacle.
”Pause” is your friend whenever something unexpected occurs. Gives you enough time to think things through.

Reactions: Former Member
Also switching flight modes will cancel the Waypoint mission too (Switch to Sport and back to Position mode).

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I’m new here but i can already see this is an awesome community of fellow droners. I’m still confused by that quote from the manual, especially that manual stick input seems to cancel every other autopilot function.

In one of the YOUTUBE video I have seen while flying between 2 waypoints the operator stop the forward flying and started returning to base, stop and then the drone continued flying the rest of waypoint plan. I am sure i saw flight height was changed,paused, reversed flight direction, speed and then continue as planned. Found a couple YOUTUBE video showing pause etc and will keep searching for the one that showed adjusting height.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911