DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to remove camera barrel from the camera body

Chingapa

Reactions
Hi,
The camera on my Mavic Pro Platinum stopped working (no display). I ordered a replacement camera barrel and an LVDS cable. I've removed the two screws on the side of the camera barrel. I am unable to separate the camera barrel from the body. Is the barrel glued to the body. I've tried a number of times but have failed to separate the two. Please help.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Hi,
The camera on my Mavic Pro Platinum stopped working (no display). I ordered a replacement camera barrel and an LVDS cable. I've removed the two screws on the side of the camera barrel. I am unable to separate the camera barrel from the body. Is the barrel glued to the body. I've tried a number of times but have failed to separate the two. Please help.
I've had the very same problem. It is caused by too much "goop" behind the lens unit. Some gimbal assemblies have it, some don't. For mine, no amount of finger pulling would remove the lens. Those that don't will allow the lens to separate with minor finger force, just like on YouTube.

Here is what I did to remove the lens unit from the gimbal. It's going to freak you out, but I found no other way. The most important thing is not to scratch or gouge the gimbal body. The lens unit is more expendable because it's easy to replace. The thing is, your issue may be a cable and not the lens unit, so we don't want to damage it too.

I first CAREFULLY clamped a small pair of vise grips on the lens unit so that it had a good grip without damaging the unit, and having the end of the vise grips near the large groove in the gimbal rear body that holds the lens. Then I used a small screwdriver to deliver a prying force between the groove on the gimbal body and end of the vice grips. Sounds horrible, but it was the only way to deliver the leverage I needed. The other thing I did was support the vise grips relative to the AC so as not to put undue stress on the gimbal mechanism.

I'm sure there are better ways of doing this. For example, I tried heating the unit with a hair dryer to "soften" the goop. For me, it didn't work.

Maybe some one else has some suggestions... Good luck!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998