DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Santa baby, you're too good to me!

Photo Booth

Reactions
I just learned that Mrs. Photo Booth has ordered a new drone for Christmas, for me! I currently own a Mavic Pro Platinum. I haven't flown it for 3 months, despite the delay of RID enforcement until March 16, 2024. She knows that I wasn't too keen on the whole RID module idea in the first place. Plus, she's repeatedly heard me commenting about the Mavic 3 Pro, what with its three cameras and all. Bless her heart for actually listening! :)

Interestingly, I came *very* close to buying a Mavic 3 back in January or February. But my "gut" told me to wait until RID was fully enforced. Which, technically, means I should wait until at least March. However, I seriously doubt there will be a Mavic 4 announced in the next 3 months.

Much to my delight, Mrs. PB ordered not only a Mavic 3 Pro Fly More Combo, but she ordered the bundle with RC Pro too! SWEET! 👍

After learning the exciting news, I explained that I'd need two more things to complete my drone package. So, I ordered one of these:

And one of these:

I considered the rapid charger with an LCD display but the single report on Amazon of overheating and photos of a warped (due to heat) plastic case gave me pause. For 5 years I've been using the Powerextra rapid charger that is nearly identical to the Airoka one linked above without issue. I also don't see the point of a discharge option in the charger when the batteries self-discharge to 60-65% on their own. And the drone firmware keeps track of the number of recharge cycles.

Now I need to find a home for my Mavic Pro Platinum and all of its accessories and extra batteries. I guess eBay is the way to go.

Anyway, I'm pretty darn excited about upgrading to the latest & greatest Mavic. Thank you, Mrs. PB!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year, everyone!

Mark

I just learned that Mrs. Photo Booth has ordered a new drone for Christmas, for me! I currently own a Mavic Pro Platinum. I haven't flown it for 3 months, despite the delay of RID enforcement until March 16, 2024. She knows that I wasn't too keen on the whole RID module idea in the first place. Plus, she's repeatedly heard me commenting about the Mavic 3 Pro, what with its three cameras and all. Bless her heart for actually listening! :)

Interestingly, I came *very* close to buying a Mavic 3 back in January or February. But my "gut" told me to wait until RID was fully enforced. Which, technically, means I should wait until at least March. However, I seriously doubt there will be a Mavic 4 announced in the next 3 months.

Much to my delight, Mrs. PB ordered not only a Mavic 3 Pro Fly More Combo, but she ordered the bundle with RC Pro too! SWEET! 👍

After learning the exciting news, I explained that I'd need two more things to complete my drone package. So, I ordered one of these:

And one of these:

I considered the rapid charger with an LCD display but the single report on Amazon of overheating and photos of a warped (due to heat) plastic case gave me pause. For 5 years I've been using the Powerextra rapid charger that is nearly identical to the Airoka one linked above without issue. I also don't see the point of a discharge option in the charger when the batteries self-discharge to 60-65% on their own. And the drone firmware keeps track of the number of recharge cycles.

Now I need to find a home for my Mavic Pro Platinum and all of its accessories and extra batteries. I guess eBay is the way to go.

Anyway, I'm pretty darn excited about upgrading to the latest & greatest Mavic. Thank you, Mrs. PB!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year, everyone!

Mark
Congrats

My #1 accessory is a lanyard for that RC Pro

Amazon.com

And a case that fits a Lanyard (has cut outs) 😉

Amazon.com

Also ordered a screen protector.

Amazon.com

Thanks! Is the screen of the RC Pro glass or plastic? I thought it was glass?

Mark

Thanks! Is the screen of the RC Pro glass or plastic? I thought it was glass?

Mark
No idea, either way I still put one on my toys. Occasionally they can save a glass screen too.

Congrats! That's a very cool Gift!
I also don't see the point of a discharge option in the charger when the batteries self-discharge to 60-65% on their own.
BUT not really fast enough to keep you from losing a few cycles in the long run.
One of the biggest killers of these Batteries is charging them to 100% and then leaving them alone for months, relying on the battery to discharge itself. If I had your Drone I would buy a charger with a storage option no question about it.
ALSO I wouldn't sell the Platinum they are just to good of a drone I would pass it down or fly it around as a backup.

Reactions: Photo Booth
Congratulations!

@Photo Booth ,your a lucky man ,i hope Mrs Photo Booth is getting an equally wonderful present as well

Congrats

My #1 accessory is a lanyard for that RC Pro

Amazon.com

And a case that fits a Lanyard (has cut outs) 😉

Amazon.com

Also ordered a screen protector.

Amazon.com

The case I ordered has cutouts to clear the lanyard loop attachment points for the RC Pro. The case I have for my Mavic Pro Platinum is made by RLSOCO. It's sort of a soft/hard type of case. Which works better for me because I frequently carry the drone in the trunk of our Miata on long trips. I baby that car and would be a little concerned about a hard Pelican type case causing some damage to the paint to the underside of the trunk lid.

Mark

The case I ordered has cutouts to clear the lanyard loop attachment points for the RC Pro. The case I have for my Mavic Pro Platinum is made by RLSOCO. It's sort of a soft/hard type of case. Which works better for me because I frequently carry the drone in the trunk of our Miata on long trips. I baby that car and would be a little concerned about a hard Pelican type case causing some damage to the paint to the underside of the trunk lid.

Mark
Oh, didn’t realize that wasn’t a “pelican” type case. Interesting choice. I had a GPC case that came with my Skydio that I absolutely love. I would have got another GPC but I like the remote laying flat. Especially if I want to leave lanyard on. Hope the one I ordered doesn’t feel to cheap compared to the GPC one.

That camera protector definitely looks tempting! Maybe a good stocking stuffer? :)

The Airoka battery charger was delivered by Amazon today, at 6:30am! :oops: I'm pleased that it has a power switch. My previous Powerextra charger for my Mavic Pro didn't have a power switch, I had to add an in-line switch.

So, stocking stuffer list for my wife:

Gimbal Guard Protector
Lanyard
256GB San Disk High Endurance microSDXC card (or two)

I've been using 64GB San Disk Ultra Plus cards with my Mavic Pro Platinum. No issues whatsoever. Not sure if they are fast enough for the Mavic 3 Pro?

Mark

Regarding that Sunnylife Gimbal Guard...

It is available for $3 less via this Amazon seller:

It is available directly from Sunnylife for $6.19. However, I have no idea how much the shipping might be:

I prefer to wait and see how much room is available in the fitted case I have ordered. The case is designed to fit the Mavic 3 Pro with the DJI harness attached, so the Gimbal Guard *should* fit in place of the harness. But I'll wait a bit and see just how tight the fit might be. I'll have to wait until next Monday if Mrs. PB doesn't change her mind about keeping it under the tree. :)

Not a biggie really, we have rain predicted starting tomorrow and lasting until Saturday.

Mark

That gimbal guard @Starz suggested is what I use. It's quite a large improvement over the "bane girdle" thing provided. I find that the props are pretty stout so haven't elected to use a prop holder, but suppose you could employ one of those as well and still probably save time over standard. Re: microsds, I prefer the Samsung Pro Ultimate in 128gb variety, but it's pretty hard to go wrong if U3/V30/A2+.

Gave a stocking stuffer list to Mrs. PB, she told me to just order it myself. :) I ended up ordering three Lexar Pro 1066x cards, 128GB each. That capacity will hold over 80 minutes of video (two batteries worth), far more than I'd normally shoot in one outing. A second card, just in case. The third one will go into the RC-Pro, which is probably overkill, but the card was only $14.49 (a 64GB card was $9.99).

I've had very good luck (no issues) with Lexar cards in my DSLR.

This is the lanyard I ordered:

I like the V shape of the fixing screws on that model of lanyard. I also like that the ends of the strap attach to the fixing screws via nylon cord. Some of the lanyards I looked at had metal or plastic clips that attach to the fixing screws. That just adds additional metal or plastic that would get in the way when storing the RC-Pro in the carrying case. The short lengths of nylon cord should allow me to fold up the lanyard and place it UNDER the RC-Pro in the carrying case I ordered. Easy peasy and the lanyard will be out of the way.

I have experience with exactly this type of arrangement on my digital SLR. Loops of nylon cord to loop through the D rings on the SLR. Quick disconnects between the nylon cord and the strap in case I want to remove the strap temporarily. It has worked out very well.

Mark

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne