DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unbelievable!!

NickB

Reactions
Had a close call during the week while filming a crop circle
1f632.png

Winds were about 20 mph and only just heard this microlight coming. After looking a lot higher up where you would expect to see a plane i finally saw it in time to get out the way, i was between 150 and 200 feet and started to decend but realized the plane was lower so just panned round while flying backwards till it had passed and then landed straight away, i was considering shutting the MP down if it looked like there may have been a collision
1f644.png

I then watched the plane circuit and swoop in from the hill behind me for 8 to 10 minutes at least constantly flying low.
I'm 99% sure they never saw my Mavic!

This is one of those instances where its really hard to predict air traffic. I have done a cross country flight in a Cessna 172/g and I cant say I ever thought about drones as an issue, and this guy probably wasn't either... but man, the national airspace is changing quickly.

You fell into a pretty compelling piece of video there! Im sure it will be talked about a lot.

Can't microlights pretty much go as low as they want if they're in a rural area? Seems more like bad luck rather than him being an "idiot."

Reactions: Mxs and ted35
Can't microlights pretty much go as low as they want if they're in a rural area? Seems more like bad luck rather than him being an "idiot."
relevant FAR
Sec. 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

Even then, (c) could arguably be an exception over an open farm field.
Didnt know it was UK, but to answer your question, he seems to be within 500 feet.
the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Didnt know it was UK, but to answer your question, he seems to be within 500 feet.
the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

There is a hill to the left, you can just see the grass which is at the foot of the hill, this hill is national trust and there were walkers on the hill. There were at least 15 cars in it's car park and the pilot was flying over the hill really low.
He was an idiot.

Reactions: mkdive
Well, then, the aircraft number is clearly visible. Maybe someone should report him to the relevant authorities.

He's completely and utterly legal. Drone operators responsibility for maintaining adequate separation.

He's completely and utterly legal. Drone operators responsibility for maintaining adequate separation.
And if the drone wasnt there? Are the points raised in this thread about car parks, people and altidude enough to call the plane pilot and his supporters COMPLETE IDIOTS?

Reactions: Lailert
I saw an ultralight flown below 400 feet while scouting an area to fly. The funny thing was that I was out in the country (middle of no where) when I saw it.

Most of my flights are 200-300 feet above ground when I fly. Hopefully that's enough buffer between rogue pilots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial