DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

uncontrollable M2Z = don't do this

ruggb

Reactions
I just had my M2Z attack me. I could not control it. Not sure why not. Maybe it is a bug.
I was flying in my yard doing some testing of a gimble issue not more than 10' off the ground. Battery was low but I didn't worry about it since I could land easily. NOT. I brought it down to about 3' and it was between 2 objects, sensors on, battery at 10%. Would not go forward or backwards or land????? So I went up to about 8". It then wanted to RTH, which it could not do because of trees. Yeah, it did that once b4. I kept trying to land it or move it. The only direction I could make it go was up or down, but not land.

At some point it decided it could fly to me. I managed to duck in time. I then quickly drove it up then down. I guess the down surprised it and it went low enough even with the close by object to land.

The weird thing was, nothing I did with the controls, except up, worked even when I got high enough that it should have ignored the objects below it. I even tried to stop the motors (it was only about 3-4' high) and that didn't work.

If I did nothing, I assume it would have tried to RTH into the trees. So, I must stop flying from my back yard, under trees, with low battery warning.

But why wouldn't it go forward/back/sideways when above the objects?

You mentioned you were near obstacles. M2 wants to keep at least 3ft clearance from obstacles. If it's sandwiched between two close obstacles, it won't be able to move. You also have upward IR proximity sensor.

As for RTH, AC will just land if within 60ft of HP.

I have never moved that switch - maybe it is time to practice - in a nice open field.
Yep, practicing with T,P and S modes is a good thing to do. Tripod mode is really nice for smooth video work. Sport mode can be a blast. Open area is the perfect location. Have FUN!

Something these drones behaves abnormally. I was playing with the active track function of my M2P and surprised to find that the elevator and aileron controls became swapped. ie, when I moved the elevator stick, the drone moved sideways. When the aileron stick was moved, the drone moved back and forth. The problem went away after I power reset it.

You mentioned you were near obstacles. M2 wants to keep at least 3ft clearance from obstacles. If it's sandwiched between two close obstacles, it won't be able to move. You also have upward IR proximity sensor.

As for RTH, AC will just land if within 60ft of HP.
Yeah, forgot that, but previously from the same spot, the RTH ran it up into the trees, so I am not trusting that behavior.

Something these drones behaves abnormally. I was playing with the active track function of my M2P and surprised to find that the elevator and aileron controls became swapped. ie, when I moved the elevator stick, the drone moved sideways. When the aileron stick was moved, the drone moved back and forth. The problem went away after I power reset it.
Well, based on what I experienced, it may be an abnormal drone at times.

I don't remember that flight and I don't know if I still have the records, but does that operation depend on where you have been during the flight or just where you are when RTH is activated?
I did that before with a P3S and it also tried to rise into the trees.
If you takeoff under a tree to 10' then travel away and up and come back later to the 10' height after the flight and activate RTH, what happens? Technically, it should just land, right? Maybe it does not if you have been far away during the flight?

That's what troubles me. Why did it ascend if it was too close to HP?

What many Pilots fail to realize is that once your Drone exhibits behavior that is not normal to flying conditions it does not fix itself. The moment you Drone started acting up your drone was compromised.

The best way to Visualize this is to Imagine your drone is frozen, but yet commands our coming in from everywhere as its similar to a computer , once unfrozen the next command in que that was not recognized will execute.

Thus if you get a magnetic Interference warning and it flips on the screen for even a hot second, your drone is no longer fit to fly , but so many pilots eager to just get in the air, see the warning is gone and go up anyway.

The only warnings you can get away with like that our Wind warning and some overload error, but everything else should be landed and lauched again in a different spot..

With that said there is a good chance this wont happen again , and yet could happen to anyone .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the storm.
Coal

Reactions: JerryM
I don't remember that flight and I don't know if I still have the records, but does that operation depend on where you have been during the flight or just where you are when RTH is activated?
I did that before with a P3S and it also tried to rise into the trees.
If you takeoff under a tree to 10' then travel away and up and come back later to the 10' height after the flight and activate RTH, what happens? Technically, it should just land, right? Maybe it does not if you have been far away during the flight?
RTH behavior is based on how close you are to HP when RTH is engaged. Within a certain distance to HP it will land. A bit further it will go to the HP, but not ascend. Further out, it ascends, goes home, then lands.
I always thought the different actions were a bit too complex to remember the details but everyone ganged up on me for expressing my opinion about it.

Later though, it sort of made sense not to ascend if it's practically already at the HP, though 60ft seemed a bit far for the threshold.

But why wouldn't it go forward/back/sideways when above the objects?
Flight logs might help someone here explain it.

Reactions: Thomas B
RTH behavior is based on how close you are to HP when RTH is engaged. Within a certain distance to HP it will land. A bit further it will go to the HP, but not ascend. Further out, it ascends, goes home, then lands.
I always thought the different actions were a bit too complex to remember the details but everyone ganged up on me for expressing my opinion about it.

Later though, it sort of made sense not to ascend if it's practically already at the HP, though 60ft seemed a bit far for the threshold.
Thanks, I need to investigate this further as I am sure I have seen different operations.

Seems like you are trying to test out what does Mavic 2 do under critical battery conditions within some unexpected conditions.
best to thing to do is trying to reproduce the bug and report to DJI.
not sure if they have a bug report reward. LOL

Reactions: umanbean
Today it did some of the same things and a few new ones - in a BIG field.
It seems like it has to do with the home point being set. I have never had an issue with that till recently.
If I take off, then land 20ft away, it refuses to take off again. When I tried it said it was updating or calibrating the IMU - Please wait. But it never finished. Another time I picked it up and carried it back to the original home point it takes off.
Another time I tried it and it could not take off. I reset the home point and away it went.
A couple times it was flying and I tried an RTH. It asked me if I wanted to land now. NO, NO! it was hundreds of yards away.

I need to find some repeatable scenarios to make sense of this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom