DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uncontrolled "Super Rapid" Ascent

Slantnose79

Reactions
Greetings Mavic Pilots. I'm running the latest F/W on all hardware and have logged about 45 flights. No drama until today. I use Iphone-6s and DJI-2.

The flight started a little bit differently this am. I had a bit of trouble getting the GPS Mode to lock in [even though I was launching from my most used place - my back porch]. I reset all 3: MP, RC and App. I was then able to get a normal startup and took off. I immediately noticed the MP wasn't as steady as it normally is, so I kept an eye on it and it soon seemed to stabilize. Thought I'd do a POI of the kiddos bouncing in their new trampoline. So, set it up and began the POI flight. I quickly noticed the MP was drifting a bit so, I cancelled the POI. Right after cancelling, I noticed the MP began to rise a few feet. Then, suddenly it rose super duper quickly to over 420'!! Even though my max height is 120m [393']. I've NEVER been this high! I pulled down on stick 1 to stop the rise, and it initiated an auto landing. From there, it was a bit non eventful, and was able to control the MP to a good landing spot.

See below for my logs. Thanks for your expertise & understanding!! Shannon

Last edited:
Reactions: Piggy
The Healthy Drones logs are not very helpful. If you'd like people to comment on your flight log, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

The Healthy Drones logs are not very helpful. If you'd like people to comment on your flight log, then please upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

msinger: i read this forum every night and appreciate your commitment. that being said: can you attach a link which shows the best way to get my flight log [TXT version] off of the MP or the iphone or where ever it needs to come from. I looked on your "mavichelp.com" site and can't seem to pinpoint which one to use - - thank you very very much!

You can find instructions on retrieving your flight logs via iTunes at the link I posted above.

Reactions: Slantnose79
The first time i had the problem this morning: Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

After Resetting everything [MP; RC; and DJI Go4] and testing I had the problem: Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

The second time, i let it go up for some time to see if i could see a message or something alerting me to what the heck was going on, but I didn't. Then, after it "busted through" the ceiling of 392', I freaked! One other bit of info: my RC Battery was 100% and after only 5 minutes of flying it showed 52% [EDIT: I may have been looking at the MP Battery State vs. the RC Battery]. But after sitting for a few minutes it was back to 93% - - this has never happened, either...

Let me know what you can determine. My MP is grounded for the time being...

Last edited:
I had a thought: could the antenna from my Marco Polo be interfering with the downward sensor and causing the MP to rise? Kinda like I suddenly put my hand under the AC and it begins to rise? In the case of the antenna, it keeps seeing something, so it thinks it's an obstacle that needs to be avoided??? This could be summed up in "RTH Obstacle Check" being checked ON.

The position of this antenna changed last night vs. the past couple days of flights. As I traveled with the MP yesterday and had it tightly packed in a case with the Marco Polo attached. This could have moved the antenna under the rear vision sensor and caused it to think there was an obstacle under which needed to be avoided??

See picture...

Interference.jpg

Last edited:
could the antenna from my Marco Polo be interfering with the downward sensor and causing the MP to rise?
I reviewed your first flight log above and found the downward sensors are estimating that your Mavic is less than a foot from the ground when it's not even close to the ground. That occurred multiple times throughout your flight. That issue is mostly likely being caused by the Marco Polo antenna. Try a flight without your tracker and see if that resolves the issue.

I'm not sure why your Mavic was ascending. It was in forced landing mode at the time -- which is the mode it auto switches to when landing with the downward sensors enabled. It looks like you might have hit an edge case that DJI did not plan to handle.

II'm not sure why your Mavic was ascending.

Thanks for looking over this and affirming what I suspected. I'll do a flight when I get sunlight ;)

Interesting that there is no reason (yet) for the constant ascension even after it was supposed to be landing. I guess 450' was allowed because the AC thought it was only 1 ft above the ground.

BTW: how do u see the AGL the sensor is reading? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hello, while not new to quadcopters, I am new to DJI with my new Mavic Pro.

I had an issue happen twice that I am concerned with. While flying around I was bringing the MP back (manually) to where I was standing in an open area. At about 4 minutes/18 seconds, a warning of “Battery overcurrent during discharge” displayed on my screen and the MP just started drifting up rapidly on return and wouldn't respond to any commands to come down. From what I’ve seen on the boards, the “overcurrent” thing appears to be more related to flying in sports mode, which I was not. I was flying in normal PGPS mode. Tried switching to RTH and it, eventually, just hovered. Not only was this alarming but to make matters worse, the bird far exceeded the pre-set max alt on both (normal flight max alt and RTH). Data indicated that it was ~442.5 ft. Flight record, on app, indicates 446’(not sure if this is incorporating above sea level alt). Hovered for about 3 minutes then started, slowly, responding to my command to come down whilst in a moderate spin. Eventually, I was able to land the MP, but it scared the living crap out of me. This is the second flight that something similar has happened. The first one happened in my father in law’s backyard. I chalked it up to potential signal interference. Given that scenario, this current event happened when I was in an open area with no, apparent, signal issues from the surrounding area. This second occurrence is the one that has me really concerned, as the MP far exceeded the pre-set alts and could have ended rather poorly. Fortunately, the wind was my friend this day.

Both incidents occurred after a successful flight and landing. It happened on the 2nd flight of each time.

I have never had this happen with my 3dr Solo. Could this be a calibration issue? All FW is current and fully charged batteries were used. Also, using a new iPad mini 4 with current iOS.

Between this and the crappy DJI app, I am seriously beginning to wonder if I should return it and just upgrade my 3dr Solo.

Link: Flight Log

@ARW1775, when you have the "Landing Protection" setting enabled in DJI GO, your Mavic will automatically ascend if the downward sensors detect the Mavic is too close to the ground (even if it's really not near the ground). The "VPS Altitude" column in your flight log shows the downward sensors are incorrectly detecting the ground is near for a majority of your flight.

Here are a few things to check:
  • Make sure the downward sensors are not dirty
  • Make sure you do not have anything dangling below your Mavic and/or installed near the downward sensors
  • Calibrate the vision sensors like this
FYI, if this happens again, disable the "Landing Protection" setting mid-flight and you will be able to descend normally.

I have had similar issues. it was a windy day over water with my Mavic mini and all flight was good and had strong wind warnings here and there. I was in perfect view of my drone and the battery was above 20% by a little. I got a strong wind warning and my MM starting ascending uncontrollable, I could descend slowly but when I let off it quickly it ascent right away. when I got to arms reach it refused to land and still continued to go up. I then grabbed it and flipped it over to turn the motors off. I switch battery's and flew same day, same conditions and it was just fine.

I have had similar issues. it was a windy day over water with my Mavic mini and all flight was good and had strong wind warnings here and there. I was in perfect view of my drone and the battery was above 20% by a little. I got a strong wind warning and my MM starting ascending uncontrollable, I could descend slowly but when I let off it quickly it ascent right away. when I got to arms reach it refused to land and still continued to go up. I then grabbed it and flipped it over to turn the motors off. I switch battery's and flew same day, same conditions and it was just fine.
Your recorded flight data would help explain the cause of the incident.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna