DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

under investigation

Somebody’s probably covered it and I don’t know the laws in Ireland but they would probably need a search warrant I know they do for phone records

So much blissful ignorance and hubris proudly on display here. This is why IMHO this hobby is doomed. Expect more and more regulations, boys.
A cynical view for someone so young but I have to say when the FAA gets stupid they get really stupid

Man, this is a really depressing thread. I just bought my first drone and enjoy everything about this hobby so far, and now this bloody bureaucratic [Admin removed language] has me looking over my shoulder, wondering if I should return the **** thing to Amazon while I still can. I’m American, so perhaps I’m not living in as much of a police state as the OP, but add it to all the RID controversy that seems intended to kill the sport and I’m thinking about getting out while I still can. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this is a really depressing thread. I just bought my first drone and enjoy everything about this hobby so far, and now this bloody bureaucratic [Admin removed language] has me looking over my shoulder, wondering if I should return the **** thing to Amazon while I still can. I’m American, so perhaps I’m not living in as much of a police state as the OP, but add it to all the RID controversy that seems intended to kill the sport and I’m thinking about getting out while I still can. :(
Things aren't really that bad.
There are always posts that focus on the sensational and some members are more pessimistic than realistic.

Somebody’s probably covered it and I don’t know the laws in Ireland but they would probably need a search warrant I know they do for phone records
Regulatory law is not the same as criminal law in most western legal systems, so I doubt it very much.

Right now, you are right. It's all good. Just keep up the good fight now, while you still can....and keep it this way. Otherwise, if you turn your back it *will* get worse and before you know it, you're in bad shape. Don't forget, most people have already caved in and decide to let the .gov have their way no matter what but I say there's still hope. Regulatory law is not the same as criminal law but for the ordinary person, it sure will feel like it. 😵‍💫

Reactions: David MacNeill
Keep it. Nothing will happen for a long time if it does. You will easily get your money’s worth out of the drone before anything happens…..hundreds or thousands of hours of fun and memories.

Don’t give up, you have not even touched the joy you will have flying your drone. It only gets more and more fun.

I’m American, so perhaps I’m not living in as much of a police state as the OP, but add it to all the RID controversy that seems intended to kill the sport and I’m thinking about getting out while I still can. :(
Adhere to the FAA regulations and you won't have to worry about the 'police state'. And you can safely take all the RID controversy on this forum with a grain of salt, most of it is overblown speculative BS.

The Air 3 is probably the best consumer drone DJI has ever introduced. And it already has RID broadcast capabilities, so no worries there. Keep it, fly it, enjoy it.... and in large part take lightly what you read on this forum.

(edit) IMO, RID is not intended to kill the sport, it's intended to further the main mandate of the FAA - to make the skies safer for us all... and help enforce the regulations as they stand.

Last edited:
Drone laws are fairly brutal here in Ireland compared to the U.S . Even though we are generally covered by European EASA rules , the Irish government likes to be seen as progressive and world leading so they add additional rules on top of those . For instance you cant fly your drone , even a sub 250g drone like the mini 3 pro over towns and cities in Ireland , there's a blanket by of any drone flying over urban areas. You can fly at night in most other countries but in Ireland there's a blanket ban on such activity even with addition strobes.

• Wow
Reactions: David MacNeill
The OP is from the Republic of Ireland, not North Korea
I’m well aware. Just trying to paint a picture. Perhaps “draconian overreaching overregulated Orwellian government state” would have been better.

I'm just mystified that some folks see recreational operation of drones in the United States as being crippled or doomed by a “draconian overreaching overregulated Orwellian government state." "bloody bureaucratic [Admin removed language]."

44809 for recreational operation has only eight simple rules. The FAA's B4YouFly app tells you exactly where you can't fly and even provides nearly instant approval to fly near major commercial airports. Part 107 for commercial operation is so lenient that I didn't even have to demonstrate that I know how to start the motors on a drone. But I'm licensed to fly drones that weigh 54+ pounds and flies 99+ miles per hour.

The FAA does almost nothing in the way of enforcement, and when they do react to repeated violations of regulations and common sense, it's with nothing but a letter or a phone call to educate the pilot. Fines are issued only for blatant and repeated gross violations. And they're so rare that it's big news when one is issued.

RID? I'd very much like not for it to have been necessary, but it was and it's coming. If you're not ashamed of the way you fly, then RID shouldn't cause you much heartburn.

I suspect that I'll be told emphatically that I'm just naive or uninformed, but I don't see a reason for all the fear, moaning, and snowflake drama about imagined government injustice and rabid attacks by dreaded "Karens."

Let's go fly.

Last edited:
I'm just mystified that some folks see recreational operation of drones in the United States as being crippled or doomed by a “draconian overreaching overregulated Orwellian government state."
With all due respect that comment was not in reference to the USA, but to Ireland.
But I agree 100% with your post and the fear that many have of RID ending their enjoyment of flying.

With all due respect that comment was not in reference to the USA, but to Ireland.
But I agree 100% with your post and the fear that many have of RID ending their enjoyment of flying.
I read it as a revision of post #44 which was about a new drone purchase in the US. I edited the post to include both phrases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Luckily here in the good ole U.S. of A., I can still fly 250lbs of scrap metal and cloth without any license, certification, registration, ID, or even a tin-foil helmet.

Reactions: Reid937 and Torque
(edit) IMO, RID is not intended to kill the sport, it's intended to further the main mandate of the FAA - to make the skies safer for us all... and help enforce the regulations as they stand.

I'll add to that RID was never about meeting the needs of The Karen and targeting hobbyists.

It's always been about airspace management and deconfliction, in anticipation of a massive increase in UAVs for regular, routine commercial operations, like deliveries.

Hobbyists are provably not a problem, by results. I suspect the FAA spends 99.999% of it's time and resources worrying about the commercial future and thousands of delivery drones in the air over metro areas, occasionally being irritated and annoyed by those recreational gnats that won't die off with bug spray.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d