DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexpected Mid-Air Collision - a First?

MS Coast

That's MS as in Mississippi.
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've just discovered an unexpected mid-air collision hazard - falling pine cones.

I was using the Mini 4 Pro to shoot some brief videos of streetscapes for a homeowners' association website this afternoon. I had the drone hovering about six feet of the ground beneath a Shortleaf Pine tree while my spotter and I were discussing the next clip to shoot. As we were talking, we both saw a mature dry fist-sized pine cone drop onto the drone and fall into the street.

The drone bobbed downward less than a foot and continued to hover as if nothing had happened. I landed it and did a damage check. There wasn't even a nicked prop. The flight log shows nothing unusual.

The pine cone sustained minor damage, well below the FAA's repair cost threshold for reporting incidents.

I figure the odds on this happening are on the same order of magnitude as winning a mid-range Lotto prize. And I know that it's not unusual for trees to attack drones, but can I rightfully claim to be the first to be attacked by a tree hurling a projectile?

I'm thankful that it wasn't a heavy green pine cone.

pine.cone.collision.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! One more thing to add to the "look out for list"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverEagleSix