DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Unique opportunity: A flight in Advection Fog

While driving along the CT Shoreline I came across a beach area engulfed in Advection Fog. While I studied this as in the Part 107, this was my first opportunity to fly in it. Lucky for me I had my drone in the car.

Fellow ct. Drone pilot I don't have my part107 as of yet but iam planning on getting it.I do hold an a&p license and work for pratt&whitney .Iam new and practicing in my back yard.Would you know of some legal places to fly

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
Hi fellow CT Shoreline. If being strictly within the State and Federal guidelines, you can fly anywhere except in State Parks, National Parks. Also look at your airport flight areas (well covered in Part 107). Also check each individual town ordinances. Yeh, with that said, there are not a lot of places to fly. Though, along the Shoreline there are many nice places.

Hi fellow CT Shoreline. If being strictly within the State and Federal guidelines, you can fly anywhere except in State Parks, National Parks. Also look at your airport flight areas (well covered in Part 107). Also check each individual town ordinances. Yeh, with that said, there are not a lot of places to fly. Though, along the Shoreline there are many nice places.
Any preferences

May I assume that by "Any preferences" you are asking where I like to fly. Other than where I travel outside of the shoreline, I mostly find an open field or a spot along the shoreline to practice,. I am not sure I answered your question,

While driving along the CT Shoreline I came across a beach area engulfed in Advection Fog. While I studied this as in the Part 107, this was my first opportunity to fly in it. Lucky for me I had my drone in the car.

I'm curious about how you maintained VLOS and other aspects of SAFE UAS Operation during that flight.

While you might want to declare this was a ~44809 flight, the mere fact you're doing it through/for your Video Production company totally removes that option. This would be a Part 107 flight through and through.

Just saying. . . . .

Hi BigA107.

Yes you are right. There is no dodging the bullet that it was a loss of sight at times. And yes flying in clouds is not in accordance with Part 107 even if it was a light fog. And again you are right one does need a Part 107 for anything other than pure recreational flying. I stand chastised.

The fact that 95% of the drone videos I have seen are in non-compliance with Part 107 does not excuse that fact that I made this video. I have no defense. But it was a unique experience non the less.

Be well BigA107, and happy flying

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Yeh, thanks. I can't rationalize it. I knew it. Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa, Mia Culpa. But it was great flying ,,,

Be well brother

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98