DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unlocking NFZ

The unlocking of Geofenced zones, is a function of the Go4 app' - not the drone itself. So - no - you do the same thing to unlock a zone for a MAvic 2 pro, as for a Mavic Pro [Platinum].

The unlocking of Geofenced zones, is a function of the Go4 app' - not the drone itself. So - no - you do the same thing to unlock a zone for a MAvic 2 pro, as for a Mavic Pro [Platinum].

I’m sorry for the very basic question, just setting up my drone and want to be clear before flying: is that unlocking on the dji app a one stop shop for unlocking (does it connect to LAANC or just unlock the dji restriction) or do I need to get an authorization from a LAANC connected app first and THEN unlock in dji app?
i would appreciate it if someone gives a detailed walkthrough of what you usually do, especially if using a smart controller?
thank you!

LAANC makes it legal.
Unlocking DJI geofence makes it fly.

DJI does try to correlate it's zones with FAA "zones" (facilities map, TFRs, etc) as well as incorporating zones that could be risky for the inexperienced (runway approach paths for airports not having controlled airspace), but sometimes DJI gets it wrong in both directions.

Reactions: Horus303
LAANC makes it legal.
Unlocking DJI geofence makes it fly.

DJI does try to correlate it's zones with FAA "zones" (facilities map, TFRs, etc) as well as incorporating zones that could be risky for the inexperienced (runway approach paths for airports not having controlled airspace), but sometimes DJI gets it wrong in both directions.
Thank you. So if understand correctly I hav to have a two step procedure
1) airmap on my phone first, get approved, THEN
2) dji go 4 on the smart controller while connected to hotspot.
not very smart for a smart system I guess!:)
I appreciate it if anyone has a different/better work flow!

LAANC is getting permission to fly from the FAA in the controlled airspace you want to fly in. You request permission there and (if/when) you receive it, you've got a window, altitude and location you are authorized to fly. It has nothing to do with DJI and their NFZ system.

Once you have permission to fly from LAANC, go to:

DJI Self Unlocking

This is DJI's unlock website. Now, I have all my account information fully vetted with DJI, meaning my info is fully filled out so they know who I am and can verify my identity. If you haven't done that, make sure you do.

Once there, you'll find the map....navigate to the area you want and zoom in to see if there is an NFZ in place. There may be one, maybe not....many times it's much smaller than the controlled airspace area in total.....just a part of it.....

auth1.jpg

In the example above it's just the approach/departure path of the airport. Click the blue bubble to select the NFZ you want to unlock. Only the Blue Zones can unlock....the other colors (besides red) are Warning Zones. Enter your Flight Controller number and the date you need. It's a 3 day window.

auth2.jpg

Next, Accept the Terms:

auth3.jpg

Next, check the boxes: (Notice the Verified Info message)

auth4.jpg

Next, select a way to receive a Verification Code:

auth5.jpg

Enter the information requested, get the code and enter it:

auth6.jpg

Next, click Proceed:

auth7.jpg

Next, you should see the successful message:

auth8.jpg

Finally, power up the SC, start Go4 and click on the "Me" bottom right. Scroll down to "More" and click it, then click on "Geozone Unlocking Applications". You should see. your new unlock:

auth9.jpeg

Once you power up the aircraft you can "send" it to the bird.

I do these steps as part of my Mission Planning, either the night before or the morning of. My SC connects to my home/office wi-fi automagically so I keep my logs sync'd with AirData. The SC will grab the NFZ Unlock, so if you're doing this in the field you'll need an Internet connection for the SC, like hotspot to your phone. I prefer to have everything in place in advance, before I even leave the house. When I show up onsite I already have: LAANC approval, NFZ Unlocked, Insurance in place, shots planned....everything ready to go.

Last edited:
thank you so much Fred. That was very thorough and clear!

Once you do it a few times, it becomes really quick and easy.

Red Zones, or Restricted Zones, are a little different. You have to contact DJI directly. They’ll ask for documentation that shows you are authorized to fly there. If you can show that you have the proper permission, they’ll issue an unlock for the Red Zone.

Once you do it a few times, it becomes really quick and easy.

Red Zones, or Restricted Zones, are a little different. You have to contact DJI directly. They’ll ask for documentation that shows you are authorized to fly there. If you can show that you have the proper permission, they’ll issue an unlock for the Red Zone.
Got it. Hopefully I don’t have to do this often but better be ready. I did unlock one blue zone but it seems I have to repeat entering the controller serial number and phone number everytime i request a new unlock. I heard some people talk about having this data stored on my dji account? I did not find an option to do that?

I have to as well.....haven't really looked into the fields being auto-filled though.

Reactions: Horus303
This is the most frustrating part of my recent Drone Purchases.... trying to unlock the area I want to fly in... which in reality is several miles from an Airport..... I have spent hours trying to figure this out. i have finally gotten to the place where I have entered the unlock into my controller and the drone but it still refuses to take off.... Most complicated and assinine system I've ever encountered in my life..... since I want to use my drone less than 60ft above ground level this is especially frustrating..... to give a little background information... I bought a Mavic Mini last month... got it and then discovered its firmware does not even support the unlock in 'restricted/authorized' zones.. yet... maybe then end of this month (DEC.) I decided to take a bigger plunge and buy a Mavic 2 Pro because they have this unlock feature..... after two days of working with it... I actually got it to fly in my house (makes some more serious wind) but it still won't lift off outside....

Here's a follow up question... assuming I finally get this unlock function to work.... do I have to have my controller connected to the internet to just fly my Mavic 2 Pro? in or out of a unlocked area.... either one?

It sounds like you're better off online unlocking the zone from the app when you're outside rather than using the web method for offline unlocking.

I suspect either you don't quite have the location correct in your unlock request, or you didn't enter the FC SN correctly. It's the FC SN you need, not the AC or RC SN.

This is the most frustrating part of my recent Drone Purchases.... trying to unlock the area I want to fly in... which in reality is several miles from an Airport..... I have spent hours trying to figure this out. i have finally gotten to the place where I have entered the unlock into my controller and the drone but it still refuses to take off.... Most complicated and assinine system I've ever encountered in my life..... since I want to use my drone less than 60ft above ground level this is especially frustrating..... to give a little background information... I bought a Mavic Mini last month... got it and then discovered its firmware does not even support the unlock in 'restricted/authorized' zones.. yet... maybe then end of this month (DEC.) I decided to take a bigger plunge and buy a Mavic 2 Pro because they have this unlock feature..... after two days of working with it... I actually got it to fly in my house (makes some more serious wind) but it still won't lift off outside....

Here's a follow up question... assuming I finally get this unlock function to work.... do I have to have my controller connected to the internet to just fly my Mavic 2 Pro? in or out of a unlocked area.... either one?
I also often fly in Blue and Gray NFZ zones. The unlock is fairly straight forward for me. I use my home computer to unlock. Once I follow the simple steps on the DJI Flysafe site I receive an email (on the same device I'm flying with) with the unlocking code several minutes later. I follow these 3 steps and have always had a successful unlock.
1. At home I Power on RC and drone, launch GO4 app.
2. Camera View-General Settings-Unlocking List-App-tap "Sync". Choose the license and tap "Import to Aircraft". Total time approx. 10 minutes. Turn everything off.
3. Drive to NFZ site.Turn on RC and drone. Launch GO4 app, wait for GPS signal. Tap--General Settings-Unlocking List -Aircraft-slide switch, check 2 boxes, confirm. Your good to Go Fly. Works for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78