DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unmarked no fly zones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you could fly over with your home built light manned aircraft and take pictures. They are small and dont use much gas.

Sounds like FAA isn't promoting safety / standardization by protecting it's own airspace. Someone at FAA knows about this and does nothing about it. This could be a windfall for FAA.. The FAA could fine the Corp. for this at $10,000 per day, or since the rule went into effect. And since the corp. of engineers receives federal money for it's projects, that money could be revoked also. I've attempted to bring it to FAA attention (e-mail) and don't get any response from them.
Like most people, I don't read the local paper, and I'm not friends with the Corp. on Facebook, how am I suppose to know about this ?

I don't think the FAA can fine the USACE since they are not breaking any FAA regulations.

Flight is restricted from the surface to 400 AGL over 10 or so major landmarks and Hoover Dam is on that list. I wanted to fly over a local dam that is under re-construction and was run off by security who claimed that there were laws that prevented my flight. I figured there was no use arguing but I know there are no laws preventing the flight. I do have a 107 ..Maybe I should figure out how to use it ;)

Reactions: Gindra
Flight is restricted from the surface to 400 AGL over 10 or so major landmarks and Hoover Dam is on that list. I wanted to fly over a local dam that is under re-construction and was run off by security who claimed that there were laws that prevented my flight. I figured there was no use arguing but I know there are no laws preventing the flight. I do have a 107 ..Maybe I should figure out how to use it ;)

At least make sure that you check the FAA sUAS facilities map...

1581443522645.jpeg

At least make sure that you check the FAA sUAS facilities map...

View attachment 93676

That should be enough.
But it is also encompassed by the Lake Meade National Park
All the way north of St. Thomas down South to Laughlin

Only one AMA zone near the SW shore of Lake Meade.

Claiming jurisdiction is not the same as having jurisdiction, which they don't have over the airspace. This is not a federally restricted airspace. They can certainly prohibit takeoff and landing from that property, but they cannot legally prohibit overflight.
Is this a definitive statement? I live near Crooked Creek Lake which is maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers and they tell me that I can’t fly in the park. However, I’d like to get some photos of the lake. Are you sure I can fly over the lake as long as I take off and land off the park property? I don’t want to get in trouble. Thanks.

Is this a definitive statement? I live near Crooked Creek Lake which is maintained by the Army Corps of Engineers and they tell me that I can’t fly in the park. However, I’d like to get some photos of the lake. Are you sure I can fly over the lake as long as I take off and land off the park property? I don’t want to get in trouble. Thanks.

It is pretty much the same thing as National Parks.
You cannot take off and land in them...but you can fly over.

That should be enough.
But it is also encompassed by the Lake Meade National Park
All the way north of St. Thomas down South to Laughlin

Only one AMA zone near the SW shore of Lake Meade.

Lake Mead National Recreation Area prohibits sUAS takeoff and landing - it's not sUAS restricted airspace, which is why it's not on the FAA facilities map.

Reactions: Thomas B and pmshop

It's an accurate statement from a legal point of view, if that's what you mean. That doesn't mean that they won't harass you about it, of course.

Reactions: Thomas B and pmshop
I was flying to video tape Lake Lanier. A city maintenance employee told me it was illegal to fly within eyeshot of the dam which supplies water to Atlanta. Flying near the dam is subject to a large fine so he says. The area isn’t marked as a noi-fly zone and doesn’t appear in any app as a no-fly area. The question is is it truly illegal if unmarked and unidentifiable as a restricted area?

Flying a drone near a power plant is usually restricted.

IMG_0984.PNG

here is a twist I came across just the other day. It is prohibited to fly over Dams, Railways and other properties designated as critical infrastructure. This is not FAA this is via Homeland Security as the aforementioned are under the umbrella of Homeland.

First as much as everyone likes the ease of apps and software designed to navigate controlled airspace, the best way is to refer to airplane sectional charts. And then check with FAA Drone Site, Notams etc. print copies of what you find if your flight is in fact legal and then take them with you. If you don’t have a drone commercial license get one so if needed you can get a waiver as proof you can fly in that area.

First as much as everyone likes the ease of apps and software designed to navigate controlled airspace, the best way is to refer to airplane sectional charts. And then check with FAA Drone Site, Notams etc. print copies of what you find if your flight is in fact legal and then take them with you. If you don’t have a drone commercial license get one so if needed you can get a waiver as proof you can fly in that area.

Sorry but sectionals only provide FAA guidance.
You need supplemental info in this hobby like AirMap apps.
Power plants for example do not show up as restricted under FAA standards as SAR104 previously mentioned.

Sorry but sectionals only provide FAA guidance.
You need supplemental info in this hobby like AirMap apps.
Power plants for example do not show up as restricted under FAA standards as SAR104 previously mentioned.

Actually my point was that there is no restriction over that location at all. Not on the sectionals or the FAA sUAS facilities map, which are the only definitive sources for airspace restrictions, and not even in the DJI geo system.

But there is under State or homeland security as Endeavor stated.
Just because FAA or Sectionals say you can go up doesn't mean you can go up.

All those locations are restricted on the FAA sUAS facilities map - that's why you cannot legally fly over them. The example given above is not one of those cases, and you can fly over it.

First on the list on the link I posted:
FAA Airspace Restriction - Department of Energy Sites

December 2017

The FAA has banned drone flight up to 400 feet within the lateral boundaries of numerous Department of Energy facilities, including the Y-12 National Security Site and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, TN.

Reference: FAA Restricts Drone Operations Over DOE Facilities

Posted: January 2, 2018

Are we talking at completely cross purposes here.
  1. All those restricted sites are on the FAA sUAS facilities map.
  2. The Chattahoochee site in question is not a DOE facility.
  3. It's not on that list.
  4. The Chattahoochee River doesn't flow through Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1