DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unmarked no fly zones

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mistake, below 400'. Try 50' just for fun. Although I believe the cooling towers might reach to 200'. You facility might vary. Although if you do fly and get in trouble then be careful of posting you results on this forum for you might get chastised for not being a responsible pilot. Ultimately you are the PIC and are responsible for making sound, safe decisions.

I work at a DOE facility - one that actually is on that list in fact, and I've flown there so I'm well aware of the regulations. Where are you going with this? The discussion was about the legality of flying over a dam in Georgia that has no airspace or facility restrictions. It was derailed by completely incorrect assertions about over which DOE facilities the FAA has implemented restrictions. Having debunked those, it's now morphed into Texas State laws and whether or not it is wise to fly over random other facilities. I realize that it's now fashionable never to concede an argument no matter how demonstrably wrong it may be, but this is getting ridiculous.

Do you fly there recreationally or for work? Just asking. I'm not sure what you're implying but I'm not going anywhere with this. I just stated that sometimes just because there are no observable or annotated flight restrictions over a site it's up to the PIC to make the call. Maybe it's my military training to avoid unnecessary risk or just trying to be a responsible pilot. Just like the nuclear facility in NH. Didn't really need to force my right to fly over it. But if someone wants to try it I'd like to be updated. Maybe we all could gather some insight.

Last edited:
And I am well aware of the original post as that was what I responded to. Parks and dams and USACE. Ultimately the PIC is responsible for the operation of the aircraft and along with the charts and rules sound judgment is what must be relied on.

Reactions: pmshop
Do you fly there recreationally or for work? Just asking. I'm not sure what you're implying but I'm not going anywhere with this. I just stated that sometimes just because there are no observable or annotated flight restrictions over a site it's up to the PIC to make the call. Maybe it's my military training to avoid unnecessary risk or just trying to be a responsible pilot. Just like the nuclear facility in NH. Didn't really need to force my right to fly over it. But if someone wants to try it I'd like to be updated. Maybe we all could gather some insight.

Are you seriously asking if I fly recreationally at a restricted DOE facility? And on what are you asserting that the PIC should base the call? This discussion, at least originally, was about airspace restrictions. If you and @pmshop want it to be about something else then fine, but don't conflate those issues.

I'm done with this. I was asking if you flew recreationally as to that was the OPs initial question about flying over USACE property and what I was basing my response. The whole sensitivity about flying over DOE installations is what I was getting at by stating to avoid them. Fly over them, don't fly over them. Whatever you say.

I'm done with this. I was asking if you flew recreationally as to that was the OPs initial question about flying over USACE property and what I was basing my response. The whole sensitivity about flying over DOE installations is what I was getting at by stating to avoid them. Fly over them, don't fly over them. Whatever you say.

Sure - so this was never about the legality at all. Yet another pointless deflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian