DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unscheduled Drone Demo

jspil

Reactions
Hello to all. I need some advice and or a different perspective on something
The other day I was flying in a local County park. In order to fly in this park there is a fair amount of paper work and procedure that need to be done. When I do get the green light to fly its usually for one to one and half of an hour, so your time is limited. While there and setting up preparing to fly I noticed a gentleman out with his dog paying close attention to what I'm doing. No big deal I continued what I was doing. Within maybe two minutes of getting my MA in the air I notice the gentleman walking my way with his dog. I honestly thought he was coming over to complain, but I was wrong. He comes and stands right next to me and starts firing questions at me one after the other. "How much did it cost, how far will it go etc". This while his dog is trying to procreate with my left leg and I'm not joking here. Normally I dont mind observers or questions, but not while I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm doing and have a limited time to do it in. Also I'm a big advocate of educating the public about drones and their capabilities and how useful they can be. I tried telling the gentleman that if he would just stick around or come back in a little bit I would be more than happy to show him my drone and tell him all about it. No dice he just kept the questions coming and wanting to look at the screen. How dose one respectfully but firmly tell someone NOT NOW PLEASE! Has anyone had a situation similar to this? What did you so? Thanks for letting me vent a little, I feel better all ready.

Practice in the mirror.

"Hello. I will be done flying in a minute or two. Would you mind if I come and land and I will be happy to answer any questions you might have."
Yah I tried that several times in fact. This guy just wasn't listening. Like I said I'm usually fine with and welcome questions. I had this day planned several weeks in advance and not to sound antisocial just wanted to be left alone. If he would have waited or come back later like I asked him to do I would have answered any and all questions he had. I know the MA is quite loud so being left alone is probably out of the question. Maybe I'm out of line here I dont know. I could have done without his dog jackhmmerin on my leg though.

Try the uranium isotopes batteries for power and there may be a very small chance of exposure if there is a starting problem. Could you please stand back until I make the appropriate pre-flight checks before I fly.
If all is good, I have no problem telling you some more Moooo...... poop.
The thing is I was all ready in the air when he stood next to me and started his interview.

Yah I tried that several times in fact. This guy just wasn't listening. Like I said I'm usually fine with and welcome questions. I had this day planned several weeks in advance and not to sound antisocial just wanted to be left alone. If he would have waited or come back later like I asked him to do I would have answered any and all questions he had. I know the MA is quite loud so being left alone is probably out of the question. Maybe I'm out of line here I dont know. I could have done without his dog jackhmmerin on my leg though.

Do you wear a vest that says something like this?

Drone pilot.jpg

Do you wear a vest that says something like this?

View attachment 68674
Why would I ware that? I'm not a licensed FAA drone pilot. I am studying to get it, but I'm not there yet. Also just my opinion, but I think wearing a vest like that would lead to even more questions and not just from this one person. It makes it look like I'm there on official FAA buisness. Do you wear one?

Reactions: crlmjohnson
Why would I ware that? I'm not a licensed FAA drone pilot.

Well, I hope you have at least registered your drone.

Yes I wear a vest, I keep it in my car along with a neon yellow bandana. I have never been annoyed by someone walking up to me to ask questions.

Last edited:
Like I stated in previous posts in this thread I almost never mind anyone asking questions. I guess you decided to either not read what I actually said or ignore it. In fact just this weekend was at my sons boy scout camping trip and brought my MA to show anyone interested all about drones and drone safety. I know a lot of the boys got drones for Christmas and don't know how to use them or the rules for flying safely. I agree with you that we are all ambssadadors for the hobby, and I feel confident in saying that I definitely do my part. My other hobby is amateur astronomy. Most times when I have my telescope out in a public place I get lots of questions, and I don't mind at all. I don't ware a NASA vest though
Most people ask " do you mind if we ask about your telescope ". This guy doesn't do that
He assumed I was there to give him a demonstration. I said basically the same thing you told me to "practice in the mirror " but he just didn't care. I actually do "cotton" (whatever that means) to people approaching me. I also know how to read social cues, this guy obviously did not.1060525274.jpeg20181111_140659.jpeg

Well, I hope you have at least registered your drone.

Yes I wear a vest, I keep it in my car along with a neon yellow bandana. I have never been annoyed by someone walking up to me to ask questions.

I like how you were able to somehow redact most of this post. This isn't what it says in my email notification.

Redact-to obscure or remove (text) prior to release or publication.

Edit-to prepare text to be published or used.

Sory but you redacted. Not that I care. Sory if I got you off of your pedestal.

How dose one respectfully but firmly tell someone NOT NOW PLEASE! Has anyone had a situation similar to this? What did you so? Thanks for letting me vent a little, I feel better all ready.

I feel better that you feel better. Ok Ill stop now.

Oh, by the way, Im not sure if I ever welcomed you to the forum. Welcome to the forum! :rolleyes: (I really like that one)

Try the uranium isotopes batteries for power and there may be a very small chance of exposure if there is a starting problem. Could you please stand back until I make the appropriate pre-flight checks before I fly.
If all is good, I have no problem telling you some more Moooo...... poop.

Yeah this suit might keep people away if you dont feel like talking. It doesnt even say licensed drone pilot on it, so no need for part 107.

If people ask you what youre doing, just tell them youre collecting radioactive samples.

(Redacted)

Level A suit.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi