DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unscheduled Drone Demo

Oh ok, I missed the quotation marks. That is a good idea for any future similar incidents.

I have been lucky with this. People that have come to talk to me while I'm flying have been very courteous mostly just standing & watching while I fly, which can be unnerving in itself but at least they're not bombarding me with questions. Just yesterday I had a Park Ranger stop & talk to me briefly asking me where my drone was, I explained it was on it's way back & he immediately said he would get out of my way & left. Not the response I was expecting!

Obviously you were dealing with a d*ck that was not a responsible dog owner, let alone a courteous person. Nothing to do I think but keep repeating the same thing over & over until you ignore him. I would have made a big deal about the dog to change his focus, letting your dog behave like that with anyone is plain rude.

Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

Reactions: jspil
I honestly think he was genuinely interested and didn't intend to act like a d*ick. He just wasn't very good at listening. His dog on the other hand...

When someone doesn't listen to, or ignores your request, you must become firmer. "Sir, I must really devote all of my attention to flying right now to be safe. I'll be available for comment after the drone is safely on the ground." If he then continues, turn your back and walk away as far as possible. IIf he then continues, I would say I've tried to be nice with you, but you're making it difficult. Please go away right now.

Hello to all. I need some advice and or a different perspective on something
The other day I was flying in a local County park. In order to fly in this park there is a fair amount of paper work and procedure that need to be done. When I do get the green light to fly its usually for one to one and half of an hour, so your time is limited. While there and setting up preparing to fly I noticed a gentleman out with his dog paying close attention to what I'm doing. No big deal I continued what I was doing. Within maybe two minutes of getting my MA in the air I notice the gentleman walking my way with his dog. I honestly thought he was coming over to complain, but I was wrong. He comes and stands right next to me and starts firing questions at me one after the other. "How much did it cost, how far will it go etc". This while his dog is trying to procreate with my left leg and I'm not joking here. Normally I dont mind observers or questions, but not while I'm trying to concentrate on what I'm doing and have a limited time to do it in. Also I'm a big advocate of educating the public about drones and their capabilities and how useful they can be. I tried telling the gentleman that if he would just stick around or come back in a little bit I would be more than happy to show him my drone and tell him all about it. No dice he just kept the questions coming and wanting to look at the screen. How dose one respectfully but firmly tell someone NOT NOW PLEASE! Has anyone had a situation similar to this? What did you so? Thanks for letting me vent a little, I feel better all ready.
This reminded me of the early days of my career as a fine art painter. Back in the 80s and 90s I would go outdoors to paint landscapes with my portable easel. Nothing attracts people like an artist painting a scene outdoors! The most common remarks were: "Are you an art student?" "What are you painting?" "Do you sell these?" "What do you do for a real job?" "My neighbor had a friend whose aunt used to painted." Eventually, I would seek out areas as far from people as possible and I've adopted the same attitude with flying my drone!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Before they came out with the hi vis drone safety vests, I used a traffic cone with a do not disturb sign on it. Another option is if you have a second person around, have them run interference.

I just saw a company has upped the game! Flight Safety Kit - Drone Safety Bundle | Uplift DronesProduct-Image-1.jpeg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu