DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Up and away?

Mattw996

Reactions
hi all

I've seen a few videos where the mavic zooms back and up slowly in a cinematic pan out. I can't find a video that shows how this is done.

Is it a feature or do you manually have to do it?

Thanks

hi all

I've seen a few videos where the mavic zooms back and up slowly in a cinematic pan out. I can't find a video that shows how this is done.

Thanks
You have to do it manually, Just have the mavic take off backwards with the camera facing you; I agree it is a cool effect.

Reactions: Mattw996
hi all

Thanks

It's an automatic flying mode in the spark.
With the Mavic, just fly up and back - simple as this...

It's actually a pretty easy move to do.

If you are filming a scene without moving animals, cars or people you can fly down and towards your subject and play it backwards in post.

Reactions: Sloth469

If you are filming a scene without moving animals, cars or people you can fly down and towards your subject and play it backwards in post.

I'd argue that it's easier to fly out into the open than trying to close in on a subject (and ideally not hit it ;)

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
Lift off.. Turn camera / drone towards yourself. Left Stick Throttle Up, Right Stick Pitch Back.

Or, you can fly down and forward toward the subject and then reverse this in post processing. This allows the use of the forward sensors during flight. Probably not needed in most situations.

Smart man

Using active track, spotlight mode can help a subject pinpointed as you fly back and up. Active track seems to cut off once the mp gets far enough away but at that point the subject is small enough that it doesn't matter

hi all

Thanks

Like so? Yeah I did it manually. You get the camera tilted correctly and then go back and up in as much of a straight line as you can to keep the camera pointed at the target.

Like so? Yeah I did it manually. You get the camera tilted correctly and then go back and up in as much of a straight line as you can to keep the camera pointed at the target.

Cool, how did you get the depth of field?

You'd think they'd put this in the new firmware? It's not a competition between spark and mavic so why not give mavic the sparks flight modes?

You'd think they'd put this in the new firmware? It's not a competition between spark and mavic so why not give mavic the sparks flight modes?
No reason they couldn't do it; the decision will probably be made for marketing and market-share reasons - give the Spark some differentiating features to encourage Mavic owners to buy a Spark as well, or to add them into the Mavic 2, to get current owners to upgrade.

But I agree it would be a nice gesture to their current customer base to update the current Mavics with these additional features to solidify customer loyalty.

Or, you can fly down and forward toward the subject and then reverse this in post processing. This allows the use of the forward sensors during flight. Probably not needed in most situations.
I have seen several videos done this way...most recently was flying at about 25' down a narrow alleyway. That's exactly the trick the poster used...but irritated the snot out of me seeing pedestrians and carts walking and rolling backwards underneath.

I'd only use reverse play when there's no activity and you're shooting a static subject....otherwise, fly it backwards...even slowly, and speed it up if necessary in post.

I find flying towards and down a lot harder than away and up for some reason. Also worth considering using a couple of waypoints. This way you can put the controller down and it will look cooler.

It's not a hard technique to do manually.

However, I'd practice it first to get the feel down good before you actually do a production shot. You really can manage the gimbal tilt, controlling ascent rate and backward pitch all manually to get it perfect, so you have to hover and set the gimbal first, on the angle you want, then focus on controlling ascent and pitch (backward) so that the aircraft stays on a diagonal, ascending line, and the subject stays properly framed.

After 4 or 5 attempts, you'll start to get the "feel" for how the two stick movements should be coupled to keep the framing constant.

Is there a third party app that will accomplish this maneuver? I'd like to get some shots of myself canoeing on a lake and ideally I'd be paddling so a hands free shot would be best. I also want a shot directly overhead, straight down on me and rotating as it climbs in altitude. Can Lithici do this?

Is there a third party app that will accomplish this maneuver? I'd like to get some shots of myself canoeing on a lake and ideally I'd be paddling so a hands free shot would be best. I also want a shot directly overhead, straight down on me and rotating as it climbs in altitude. Can Lithici do this?
Not while tracking you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji