DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

steve495

Reactions
Update - Dec. 31, 2019. Overnight, firmware versions were released.

Update 2: Dec. 31, 2019. At first, I could not unlock. Note that depending on your mobile device, you may have to manually update the DJI Fly App. Once I updated the app, I was able to go through the normal process to unlock the aircraft from within the application. I was able to fly inside my home (10 or 11 Sats captured) without any issues.

For Reference & Notes
  • I am in a blue authorization zone within Class C airspace.
  • Kittyhawk has me in a ZERO feet authorization box for the UAS Facility Map.
  • I am NOT in a Restricted Zone or Altitude Zone associated with runways for the Class C airspace.
  • I'm running an iPhone 8 Plus.
  • DJI has definitely updated their Geo Zones. This may or may not be good for you. As an example, Westerly State (KWST) in Rhode Island was previously not Geo Fenced. It is now a full Authorization Zone with Restricted and Altitude Zones associated with their main runway. It's Class D airspace and Kittyhawk has nothing for WST on their app at all.
Firmware and Update Information
Having issues? I would triple check to ensure you've updated everything and are running the current firmware on the drone and controller, and the current version of the application.

• Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0400
  • Remote Controller: v01.00.0400
  • DJI Fly App iOS: V1.0.4
  • DJI Fly App Android: V1.0.4
What’s New?
  • Added feature FIX: to unlock GEO zones (requires DJI Fly v1.0.4 or later). [It's funny they call this an "added feature" since it was a bug since day one and they knew it. They are calling it an "added feature" so they do not have to admit they released a product not ready to go.]
  • Added feature that disables takeoff when the GPS signal is weak (GPS <8) and the environment light is not sufficient. This feature can be disabled manually (requires DJI Fly v1.0.4 or later).
  • Added requirement for compass calibration before takeoff when the environment light is not sufficient and the compass experiences interference.
  • Adjusted flight altitude and distance in payload mode.
  • Added warning prompt for battery cycles.
  • Reduced noise during self-diagnostics after powering on.
  • Fixed issue: linking was abnormal in some regions.
Notes:
  • Note that the update may reset various main controller settings, such as the RTH altitude and the maximum flight distance, to default settings. Before updating, take note of your preferred DJI Fly settings, and readjust them after the update.
  • If the update fails, restart aircraft, remote controller, and DJI Fly or DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, and retry.
----------------------------
Original Post (OP)

Apologies. I buried the lede, so here is a recap.
If the above does not clearly and concisely provide the right information (I'm new to drones) please let me know and I will adjust.

=== Original Post ===
So today is my first day as a drone pilot. I was airborne all of 90 seconds. Nope, did not crash, just had all sorts of connection issues. I'll skip the issue this morning where Best Buy did not have my drone and I had to drive an hour round trip to pick one up at another store. Plus I'll skip the part where I had to run to Taget to get a new SD card since the MM rejected my SanDis Ultra 32GB card.

So I'm in a restricted zone of Class C airspace. My home is in the box where the LAANC limit is zero feet, so as a recreational pilot, I can't fly in my own yard. Anyway, I figured I would try to get everything connected and try to spin up the drone in my garage. I've got plenty of space there. Nope, since I'm in that zone, would not let me take off. (Is there a way to do this?)

So I know there is a 100 foot limit box down the road about 250 yards with a nice clearing. Head over there, and put in my LAANC request and approved. All sorts of issues connecting AirMap with the controller. [Note - AirMap will not connect with the MM yet, not sure if we will be able to.] Tried over-and-over. Complete shut down of everything and start from scratch. AirMap crashing. Drone disconnecting from the controller.

Somehow, I got in the air and got an immediate message that I was in controlled airspace and the drone would land on its own in about 90 seconds. I took the opportunity to fly around a bit. Starts beeping and descending. I go over and catch it. OK, try again from scratch...

Previously, I had contacted DJI by chat to ask about flying in my house. They directed me to the DJI Flysafe website to fill out the form and request an unlock. I submitted that application just before I headed down the road to try and fly. And proceed to have all of those issues in that 100-foot limited area with my approval in both AirMap and Kittyhawk since I was having the issues with AirMap crashing. [Again, there is no connection between AirMap or Kittyhawk and the MM controller at this time.]

I get back to see this email concerning my unlock application.

Please accept my sincere apology for this inconvenience caused. Kindly note that Mavic Mini doesn't support to unlock the No Fly Zone currently. We will launch a new version of the aircraft firmware and DJI Fly App in late December to support unlock the no-fly zone. Please pay attention to the official announcement. Thank you for your understanding and support.

All during my experience, I was asked a couple of times to check off a box and agree to terms and conditions since I was flying in restricted airspace. It was almost like a waiver. Although I checked off the box and agreed, still could not fly.

I spent a couple hours getting the drone today, and then another four hours trying to fly. I'm mentally exhausted, the sun goes down in about 30 minutes, and I have to get some work done.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
im sure there will be many more of us having a rant about the new app in the coming days ,similar to the launch of the original mavic a while back, the joys of brand new drone ownership nothing ever changes i guess still hopefully one day all the bugs will be gone

Reactions: W5CI and JS1600
Hi There,

I'm about to pull the trigger on Mavic Mini, can you tell me if you can fly in blue "Autorization Zone" ? From what I understand it requires to unlock by authorized users using DJI verified account.

Cheers,

S.

Normally on a blue zone you can use the Live Self-Unlocking, having Internet connection on the mobile and with a few taps on the screen, really is not available on DJI Fly App until late December?

Thanks, guys you have saved me a lot of hassle, unfortunately, I live 2 houses down from "blue zone" about 50m in to "the wrong direction":) that would mean I can't even fly in my backyard or house, I have fairly large backyard about 350ft by 80 and I was hoping to fly around my yard. I was waiting for this 249g toy drone and apparently they are as serious about it as bigger drones. I was hoping it will be "unlocked" without geo zones, toy as any other light drone from Toysrus but with a bit better camera.

Do I tell my wife I want to move because we live in the "wrong" area? :))) So close....

1573523308398.png

Attachments

• 1573522465904.png
    1573522465904.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Miniloo
Steve,
While your frustration (and rant) is FULLY justified, I hope you'll take some solace knowing you have just save others (who read this post, anyways) a lot of that same frustration. Thank you for posting this topic and describing your experiences.

I am absolutely gobsmacked DJI would release an app that won't allow the pilot to unlock a "Blue-zone." AND not only did DJI not make this authorization available, they don't mention it in their press releases. WOW, DJI, you dropped the ball big time!

...and why late December? Why not authorize it to unlock NFZ now? What's so special about late December? I'm far from a computer genius, but I would guess adding this feature to the firmware is simply a matter of a few keyboard strokes, right? I don't get it?

Reactions: Miniloo
****, that's hard, sorry for that. If any consolation, at least we now know when they plan to release a new app version, maybe their roadmap will unlock track/follow in that release.

Reactions: Capt KO
...and why late December? Why not authorize it to unlock NFZ now? What's so special about late December? I'm far from a computer genius, but I would guess adding this feature to the firmware is simply a matter of a few keyboard strokes, right? I don't get it?
This is what DJI do. They rush an incomplete product to market generally just before Christmas to boost sales. Essentially, all the early buyers are beta testers paying for the privilege. It took them six months to get all of the features right on the Osmo Pocket - a lot of the features in the adverts took a few months to appear on retail units.
Mavic Air was the same.

Steve,
While your frustration (and rant) is FULLY justified, I hope you'll take some solace knowing you have just save others (who read this post, anyways) a lot of that same frustration. Thank you for posting this topic and describing your experiences.

I appreciate that.

DJI not mentioning this hiccup is annoying as hell. What bothers me even more is the fact the testers who posted their videos at the beginning of the month never mentioned this. I find it hard to believe none of them tested this functionality or were not flying in a restricted zone. Even those testers who mentioned "bugs" in the app never mentioned this.

I'm going to slightly edit my original post, since I was a crappy writer and buried the lede.

Reactions: Bunkersoft
It is for this reason I have stopped flying Mavic and fly Autel Evo exclusively. No Mavic Mini for me. Put a deposit on Skydio 2 yesterday.

Not to defend DJI, but as a software supplier for 30+ years, the facts on the ground are:

1. The engineering team develops schedule writing the needed code to support marketing’s wish list.

2. Marketing deems this schedule totally unacceptable.

3. Engineering and marketing battle heatedly.

4. An uneasy compromise is reached where he initial release will have a reduced feature set in a very aggressive time frame.

5. Engineering falls behind on development. The whips come out flailing the engineers. ”Somewhere there is a software engineer that can do this. I sure hope it is you.”

6. Still more features are dropped.

7. Now there is not enough time to fully test the software, and only the actual functionality is tested. None of the 2nd order stuff is checked. “If you do this after doing that”. In reality, doing all 2nd order testing, and meeting a schedule is impossible. Even mission critical software doesn’t get completely checked. Think manned space missions and the 737 Max 8.

8. Proper testing of simple software takes as much time as writing the software in the first place.

9. Even simple 1 line changes in the software require a full long retest for a reliable result.

DJI software is complex, and must function properly in a real time environment. Their results are similar to Apple, Microsoft, Android and others. Beta testers and first adopters for major releases will find many major and minor problems. Follow on releases will fix them as they are found.

Reactions: Dannick
Steve495,
Thank you sir! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! You just save me from a lot of unnecessary aggravation and frustration! I truly appreciate your taking the time to write this post. You have helped us all.?

It is for this reason I have stopped flying Mavic and fly Autel Evo exclusively. No Mavic Mini for me. Put a deposit on Skydio 2 yesterday.

Wow those drones look amazing, especially Skydio 2 I love the following mode, I could absolutely use that for my bike adventures. The only problem I see for myself beeing in Canada is that those drones are over 250g and I would not only need to register them (not a biggie) but also take the exam and pass the test.

The only reason I need this is to take a few selfies I'm not going through all the hassle to take a few selfies. I could probably buy it, and get away with it, but I'm too old for that I don't want to stress out about taking selfies and having fun, once you have a house and some savings and good job somebody will always go after you to take a stab at you, so for me this has to be 100% legal toy to be fun. Mavic mini ticks all that options at list for time beeing (they will probably change the laws about weight anyway), but Mini will not take off in my yard :) Seems it is easier to own the gun then drone in Canada :)

Reactions: Paulf10
Not to defend DJI, but as a software supplier for 30+ years, the facts on the ground are:

1. The engineering team develops schedule writing the needed code to support marketing’s wish list.

2. Marketing deems this schedule totally unacceptable.

3. Engineering and marketing battle heatedly.

4. An uneasy compromise is reached where he initial release will have a reduced feature set in a very aggressive time frame.

5. Engineering falls behind on development. The whips come out flailing the engineers. ”Somewhere there is a software engineer that can do this. I sure hope it is you.”

6. Still more features are dropped.

7. Now there is not enough time to fully test the software, and only the actual functionality is tested. None of the 2nd order stuff is checked. “If you do this after doing that”. In reality, doing all 2nd order testing, and meeting a schedule is impossible. Even mission critical software doesn’t get completely checked. Think manned space missions and the 737 Max 8.

8. Proper testing of simple software takes as much time as writing the software in the first place.

9. Even simple 1 line changes in the software require a full long retest for a reliable result.

DJI software is complex, and must function properly in a real time environment. Their results are similar to Apple, Microsoft, Android and others. Beta testers and first adopters for major releases will find many major and minor problems. Follow on releases will fix them as they are found.
True, but since you can't fly if in an NFZ unless you can unlock, this is a must feature. Missing a few Quick Shots? OK. No RAW right now? OK too. Even if annoying, the absence of those don't prevent flying. Geofence does.
It might be the cheapest drone in the DJI fleet, but it isn't cheap.

Reactions: Paulf10
Thanks, guys you have saved me a lot of hassle, unfortunately, I live 2 houses down from "blue zone" about 50m in to "the wrong direction":) that would mean I can't even fly in my backyard or house, I have fairly large backyard about 350ft by 80 and I was hoping to fly around my yard. I was waiting for this 249g toy drone and apparently they are as serious about it as bigger drones. I was hoping it will be "unlocked" without geo zones, toy as any other light drone from Toysrus but with a bit better camera.

Do I tell my wife I want to move because we live in the "wrong" area? :))) So close....

View attachment 85355
Exchange it for a Tello!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada