DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

Since the DJI reply seems to be a software (app) and firmware update I will wait patiently...and will likely not update right away as we’ve all experienced ‘undocumented features’ (i.e. new bugs) with updated software/firmware.

There will be enough folks updating and posting to assess the stability of this ‘upgrade’.

As I said before I have other birds that I can fly in controlled airspace.

Best thing they can do to protect air space. It will be allowed in a firmware patch late next month, it was explained by DJI Support.
Well, sort of. Unlocking an authorization zone is tricky if you don't understand the process so that should slow down the inexperienced.

Well, sort of. Unlocking an authorization zone is tricky if you don't understand the process so that should slow down the inexperienced.
To unlock most of zones, a pop-up appear on the screen and just have to clic on "I assume the responsability" and then OK. No so difficult imho. To unlock the really near to an airport zone is needly to go through the web process, but I find it logical due to the air safety.

To unlock most of zones, a pop-up appear on the screen and just have to clic on "I assume the responsability" and then OK. No so difficult imho. To unlock the really near to an airport zone is needly to go through the web process, but I find it logical due to the air safety.
Four clicks in one pop-up (3 checks, then OK) is only in enhanced warning zones (orange). Authorization zones (blue) you have to go through text code when in-app.
Authorization zones can go as far as 5 miles from airport if directly under flight path.

Apologies. I buried the lede, so here is a recap.
If the above does not clearly and concisely provide the right information (I'm new to drones) please let me know and I will adjust.

=== Original Post ===
So today is my first day as a drone pilot. I was airborne all of 90 seconds. Nope, did not crash, just had all sorts of connection issues. I'll skip the issue this morning where Best Buy did not have my drone and I had to drive an hour round trip to pick one up at another store. Plus I'll skip the part where I had to run to Taget to get a new SD card since the MM rejected my SanDis Ultra 32GB card.

So I'm in a restricted zone of Class C airspace. My home is in the box where the LAANC limit is zero feet, so as a recreational pilot, I can't fly in my own yard. Anyway, I figured I would try to get everything connected and try to spin up the drone in my garage. I've got plenty of space there. Nope, since I'm in that zone, would not let me take off. (Is there a way to do this?)

So I know there is a 100 foot limit box down the road about 250 yards with a nice clearing. Head over there, and put in my LAANC request and approved. All sorts of issues connecting AirMap with the controller. [Note - AirMap will not connect with the MM yet, not sure if we will be able to.] Tried over-and-over. Complete shut down of everything and start from scratch. AirMap crashing. Drone disconnecting from the controller.

Somehow, I got in the air and got an immediate message that I was in controlled airspace and the drone would land on its own in about 90 seconds. I took the opportunity to fly around a bit. Starts beeping and descending. I go over and catch it. OK, try again from scratch...

Previously, I had contacted DJI by chat to ask about flying in my house. They directed me to the DJI Flysafe website to fill out the form and request an unlock. I submitted that application just before I headed down the road to try and fly. And proceed to have all of those issues in that 100-foot limited area with my approval in both AirMap and Kittyhawk since I was having the issues with AirMap crashing. [Again, there is no connection between AirMap or Kittyhawk and the MM controller at this time.]

I get back to see this email concerning my unlock application.

All during my experience, I was asked a couple of times to check off a box and agree to terms and conditions since I was flying in restricted airspace. It was almost like a waiver. Although I checked off the box and agreed, still could not fly.

I spent a couple hours getting the drone today, and then another four hours trying to fly. I'm mentally exhausted, the sun goes down in about 30 minutes, and I have to get some work done.

Sorry for the rant.
I experience the same exact issues yesterday, I paid alot of money to enjoy this in my home and practice within the comforts of my home, im in the nfz too, all the dam hyp about this pumped me up, im in canada so with the taxes I paid over $700, I already own the mavic pro and the spark, which is up for sale, love it but not portable enough, so I bought the mini, it has more rules then the big guy, love the drone but I guess it stays in the case till I have enough time to venture out of the nfz, not happy with DJI right now, taken the fun outta my $700 new toy

Less lazy development and more rushed to market before all the features were enabled, prioritizing selling it first, and fixing the problems later, with the early adopters being the Beta testers. Anyone who has followed DJI's previous releases should already be very familiar with this pattern. I now wait 4-6 months after release before buying any new DJI product. Let others be the guinea pigs!
I got sucked into it, no more, im thinking of packing mine up and return while I still can, dam greed

This thread has someone devolved into a complaining session. It's not helping the thread.

My original post identified an issue with the drone as it was first released, and clearly indicated a fix should be coming from DJI next month. As far as I can tell, it's effecting everyone - at least - in the US.

DJI stated a firmware release is coming that will allow for unlock like the other drones in "late December."

I'll update the original post when that release/fix arrives.

This thread has someone devolved into a complaining session. It's not helping the thread.

My original post identified an issue with the drone as it was first released, and clearly indicated a fix should be coming from DJI next month. As far as I can tell, it's effecting everyone - at least - in the US.

DJI stated a firmware release is coming that will allow for unlock like the other drones in "late December."

I'll update the original post when that release/fix arrives.
Effecting Canada too, I should have bought mine in January

I’m at the edge of 5 miles and always get the pop up. Reading the posts I was worried I wasn’t going to be able to fly when I got mine.

I got the pop up, checked the box and no problem, was flying like my regular Mavic...

Z

Bummer! I just wanted to fly inside my home. I live in Class D airspace and had hoped to keep my flying skills up during the winter. So wait 6 weeks or buy an Eco? It would be great to be able to deactivate the geo fence for indoor flying.

I am absolutely gobsmacked DJI would release an app that won't allow the pilot to unlock a "Blue-zone." AND not only did DJI not make this authorization available, they don't mention it in their press releases. WOW, DJI, you dropped the ball big time!
Had I known........ I would NEVER had spent 500$
?D A M M M M M ?

Bummer! I just wanted to fly inside my home. I live in Class D airspace and had hoped to keep my flying skills up during the winter. So wait 6 weeks or buy an Eco? It would be great to be able to deactivate the geo fence for indoor flying.
You still might be able to if you're only in an enhanced warning zone.

Reactions: SummerSausage
Well I was going to get one of these in late January but might look elsewhere now because I do not want to have to jump through hoops for the stupid FAA every time I want to go in my back yard and fly ten feet off the ground.This government crap is getting out of hand and it is starting to look like the Gestapo! I am to old to mess around bending over so the FAA can stick it to me! The old days of fun fly are gone now I used to fly my RC Helicopters in my back yard and now you cannot do that without the FAA approval now!

Actually FAA and Congress has lightened up. Used to be having to call every airport within 5 miles of flight, even small ones and hospitals with heliports. Now it's getting authorization via LAANC only when in controlled airspace. Are some ceilings a bit overreaching? Sure.

I think your complaint is with geofencing though, which does correlate with FAA facilities map.

It does seem DJI sends a mixed message on this drone. Why is it advertised under the required weight to register, but have no way to unlock to fly? Sorry to see this, but historically speaking, restrictions increase with firmware “updates”. giphy.gif

Reactions: dirkclod
I live in a blue area just like the person that started this post which means I would have to get permission to fly everyday and that is B.S. so that is why I will pass on this ,heck I will buy a Tello at least I can fly that without having to mess with the FAA and I do not give a crap about any camera. I think they screwed up quads when they added that crap! I am a old RC helicopter pilot and just like to sport fly and fun fly!

I live in a blue area just like the person that started this post which means I would have to get permission to fly everyday and that is B.S. so that is why I will pass on this ,heck I will buy a Tello at least I can fly that without having to mess with the FAA and I do not give a crap about any camera. I think they screwed up quads when they added that crap! I am a old RC helicopter pilot and just like to sport fly and fun fly!
I have a Mavic Pro and just bought a Mini and I completely agree with your sentiments, especially regarding purchasing a Tello over a DJI. That being said, with the hobby/enthusiast/professional use of drones increasing at what seems to be an incredible rate, it only seems smart and reasonable that some regulations need to be in place to ensure the safety of manned flights in the area of drone use, especially more congested areas (blue zone) around airports.

Having to unlock a no-fly zone is a bit of a pain in the buttocks, but I feel it's a small inconvenience taking just a few minutes to complete.

While flyability in certain areas is definitely a feature to consider when buying a drone, I wouldn't make it my sole reason. Though I have many issues with DJI's Iron-Fist corporate philosophies, they are the Number One selling drone for a reason. But trust me, if an equally featured, specced, and quality drone is produced by another drone company, I will be the first to submit my online order!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure