DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

It is for this reason I have stopped flying Mavic and fly Autel Evo exclusively. No Mavic Mini for me. Put a deposit on Skydio 2 yesterday.
Mavic 2 and all other DJI aircraft already allow for self-unlocking in blue authorization zones.
The Mini will, too, once it is a mature aircraft.

Expecting a newly released Version 1.0.0 version of any DJI aircraft on Day 1 to have full functionality is simply naive. Anyone who has been around DJI for any length of time knows to wait at least 6 months after release for the product to be mature, bugs mostly fixed, and for all advertised features to be available. In 6 months, the Mavic Mini will be a very good value.

Skydio 2 will be no different! Wait and see!

Reactions: sonof40
Mavic 2 and all other DJI aircraft already allow for self-unlocking in blue authorization zones.
The Mini will, too, once it is a mature aircraft.

Expecting a newly released Version 1.0.0 version of any DJI aircraft on Day 1 to have full functionality is simply naive. Anyone who has been around DJI for any length of time knows to wait at least 6 months after release for the product to be mature, bugs mostly fixed, and for all advertised features to be available. In 6 months, the Mavic Mini will be a very good value.

Skydio 2 will be no different! Wait and see!
I agree with some missing elements, but not supporting half the reasonablely model mobile devices out there without clearly spelling out the requirements, and having NFZ with no unlock, app not showing up in Google Play on a search, is just plain ridiculous.

That's just lazy development.

Reactions: Flytelandon
I agree with some missing elements, but not supporting half the reasonablely model mobile devices out there without clearly spelling out the requirements, and having NFZ with no unlock, app not showing up in Google Play on a search, is just plain ridiculous.

That's just lazy development.
Less lazy development and more rushed to market before all the features were enabled, prioritizing selling it first, and fixing the problems later, with the early adopters being the Beta testers. Anyone who has followed DJI's previous releases should already be very familiar with this pattern. I now wait 4-6 months after release before buying any new DJI product. Let others be the guinea pigs!

Reactions: Flytelandon
Hi! My first post here. Nice community! I'm Humberto from Argentina. Currently waiting for my Mini FMC. Custom delays and taxes around here are ridiculous. Im paying 750+ usd (50% tax) and having it by month's end [emoji24]

Ontopic: Not seeing why being early adopters is bad at all so long there's some basic/obvious functionality that is already fulfilled. It's clearly a drone with a nice gimbaled camera that can take nice photos and videos while being portable and affordable, and that's valid 100% out of the box and it's what we are all paying for. The rest, as any modern hi-tech device, are improvements that can be made by polishing the software further, and there's always room for some more. It's always fun to get new features and rediscover your device without expending money at all after some time. Tesla is doing it with their cars and they demonstrated its not an offense to the customer, but all the opposite, so now other companies are going with OTA updates like VW when they never did it before.

On the other hand, I can see why sensitive safety features like no-fly or restricted/warning zones are being taken with caution and no rush. It's true that it takes 2 keystrokes and an update to the server but behind that there's some analysis that should be made and I can imagine that being harder in the states with the FAA breathing in your neck. It's a new
small drone with a big new market potential and let's face it, many more careless (stupid) people could be flying it by Christmas than before and could potentially cause disasters. Aviation safety is no joke, me sitting in a plane I'm thankful I'm protected from a kid causing an engine loss by simply overriding a warning prompt in the app.

Last edited:
Hi! My first post here. Nice community! I'm Humberto from Argentina. Currently waiting for my Mini FMC. Custom delays and taxes around here are ridiculous. Im paying 750+ usd (50% tax) and having it by month's end [emoji24]
Not seeing why being early adopters is bad at all...
You'll see. You are new here. It's not our first DJI rodeo. ;)

ive returned my mavic mini yesterday , this drone is for kids restrictions will be permanent thats my thought drone had diecent video qaulity very stable , but bad range ce version and feels like fragile plastic

ive returned my mavic mini yesterday , this drone is for kids restrictions will be permanent thats my thought drone had diecent video qaulity very stable , but bad range ce version and feels like fragile plastic
It's designed as a decent selfie drone for first time drone purchasers who don't want to register in the U.S.. It fills that role very well, at an attractive $399 price point. However it is no competitor the $800 Mavic Air's 4K 100 mbps video or any M2. It does, however, offer twice the flight time of a Mavic Air. It's all about priorities and compromises.

Half the cost, twice the flight time. Massive convenience. It's a totally different tool.
You don't take a sledge hammer to put in some nails for a picture.

Reactions: Miniloo and TDZHDTV
Half the cost, twice the flight time. Massive convenience. It's a totally different tool.
You don't take a sledge hammer to put in some nails for a picture.
On the other hand, if you are painting the Mona Lisa, you probably want better brushes and paints than you used in grade school, painting by numbers, and a qualified rubinesque model with just the right smile! ;)

I am a property inspector in Alberta, Canada and I bought the Mavic Mini to do roof inspections. I was using the Tello because 90 percent of houses that I inspect are within a Yellow authorization zone and in Canada under 250 grams you can fly anywhere as long as you don't do something stupid. I got my Mavic Mini on Thursday Nov. 14, 2019 and because I live within the Yellow authorization zone I cannot even fly it in my house until I can unlock it. As far as I am concerned there should be no reason for the GEO fencing or no fly zones on the Mavic Mini in Canada. That is why I bought it!!!!

Reactions: Bunkersoft
Man, I thought since this is considered a toy and registration not required we also wouldn’t be required to follow all the LAANC notification requirements. Of course I expected to have to honor the deceasing flight height restrictions when close to an airport, and that I still needed to fly safely, but at the far edge of 5 miles from my location airport I thought I could avoid having to log my flight in AirMap every time I flew. What do other sub 250g people have to do? Does every small toy drone person now have this obligation? I’m confused on that one.

In any case, because of its small size I was considering keeping the Mini even if I was subject to all the red tape; however, if I can’t even unlock it to fly in my 120acre property I’m not even going to open the package when I get it. That would mean my Skydio 2 may get here before I can even fly the Mini.
Guess I should have done a little more research when I pushed the buy button on day one when it was released.

Z

The unlock should be available next month.

The letter of the FAA rules says one is not exempt from controlled airspace rules being under 250g, but I doubt FAA would enforce it if you flew low and safe. Personally 0 ceiling all the way out to 5 miles from runway is way overkill. Even within 1 mile from airport planes tend to be over 500ft high according to the MAS tracking sites.

Reactions: Zandian
Ok...I’m thinking about this...

DJI designs and releases a drone to capture a portion of the market not really addressed yet; folks that want a selfie drone with the features they advertised.

The purchaser (likely someone new to drones)doesn’t have to register, but (as we all pointed out) they still need to comply with the rest of the rules which they likely won’t know or read.

Delaying the implementation of zone unlocking may not be a bad thing altogether - sure, it’s probably still in test phase but the newbies that are early adopters will be forced to actually (maybe) learn a few things before this feature rolls out.

Things like in order to fly in controlled airspace you MUST register yourself in the USA, learn to use LAANC, etc. even if you are under 250g.

Besides - for the rest of us that already know these things we HAVE drones that do this in the interim.

I will watch how this unfolds with interest as I have a Mini...and a Spark, a Mavic Pro, a Mavic 2 Enterprise and Inspire birds and fly as both a Recreational and a Part 107 pilot.

Ok...I’m thinking about this...

DJI designs and releases a drone to capture a portion of the market not really addressed yet; folks that want a selfie drone with the features they advertised.

The purchaser (likely someone new to drones)doesn’t have to register, but (as we all pointed out) they still need to comply with the rest of the rules which they likely won’t know or read.

Delaying the implementation of zone unlocking may not be a bad thing altogether - sure, it’s probably still in test phase but the newbies that are early adopters will be forced to actually (maybe) learn a few things before this feature rolls out.

Things like in order to fly in controlled airspace you MUST register yourself in the USA, learn to use LAANC, etc. even if you are under 250g.

Besides - for the rest of us that already know these things we HAVE drones that do this in the interim.

I will watch how this unfolds with interest as I have a Mini...and a Spark, a Mavic Pro, a Mavic 2 Enterprise and Inspire birds and fly as both a Recreational and a Part 107 pilot.

Yeah, I’m not sure why this is marketed to beginners, or as an entry drone just because of size and price point. It still goes way beyond line of sight, and way high where it can interfere with aircraft, and it has no obstacle avoidance. Sure interface is easier but to the points made here, if it’s still subject to all the requirements except registration. Seems that by marketing as sub 250g it actually causes confusion for beginners. I myself was a bit confused and I’ve had a p4, Mavic Pro and 2pro. I’ve also tried to keep up to date on and follow all the regulations as well.

Z

Worse thing DJI ever did, coming out with the Mavic Mini. Just what the industry needs, a bunch of new pilots with no training and no clue. FYI I have heard that DJI is never going to allow those drones to unlock. :) FYI part 2, if you use this drone for compensation, you still need a FAA Lic.

I sent my rant to DJI support and look what I got as a reply.

"Thank you for the mail and sincerely sorry for the inconvenience.

Mavic Mini needs to be unlocked to fly in the authorization zone, and kindly note that Mavic Mini does not be supported to unlock currently. We will launch a new version of the aircraft firmware and DJI Fly App in late December to support unlock the no-fly zone. Please pay attention to the official announcement.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We're always here to help."

Maybe if all of us complain they will make it happen sooner!!!!

Worse thing DJI ever did, coming out with the Mavic Mini. Just what the industry needs, a bunch of new pilots with no training and no clue. FYI I have heard that DJI is never going to allow those drones to unlock. :) FYI part 2, if you use this drone for compensation, you still need a FAA Lic.
Best thing they can do to protect air space. It will be allowed in a firmware patch late next month, it was explained by DJI Support.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James