DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update - Firmware Release - [OP: Mavic Mini DOES NOT support unlock in no fly zones yet!]

To fly indoors in a NFZ you need to block the GPS receiver. Place tinfoil over the top rear portion. Anything you can do to block it gaining its location. You will also need to turn location services off on your phone. You will not have god positioning or RTH when you do this but I really don’t think anyone is going to be flying in a home big enough to need either of these.

Reactions: Flytelandon
To fly indoors in a NFZ you need to block the GPS receiver. Place tinfoil over the top rear portion. Anything you can do to block it gaining its location. You will also need to turn location services off on your phone. You will not have god positioning or RTH when you do this but I really don’t think anyone is going to be flying in a home big enough to need either of these.
Top rear portion of the drone or controller?

Hi. What is the will if one get into a blue zone while flying the MM? Does it RTH or landed immediately?

Hi. What is the will if one get into a blue zone while flying the MM? Does it RTH or landed immediately?
I heard it drives it downwards towards the ground when getting closer to the blue zone resulting in possible no control of drone and possible hurting ppl or damage to something

I am sorry if I am being a little dense trying to understand where the mini will and will not fly as it pertains to controlled airspace. According to Airmap, I live Class D controlled airspace. The FAA data map show me in a circle and the grid says 250 feet, which corresponds to the description of my area in Airmap. When I fly my Mavic Air and Spark, I get a warning that I have to check the box and submit before I can fly.

Am I in an area that I would not be able to fly a Mavic Mini?

Thanks and sorry for being such a dumbass trying to understand what exactly is restricted.

Actually the term restricted airspace is misused alot in drone forums...what they typically mean in the context of this thread is a DJI Geo Zone.

DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. GEO zones that prohibit flight are implemented around locations such as airports, power plants, and prisons. They are also implemented temporarily around major stadium events, forest fires, or other emergency situations. Certain GEO zones don’t prohibit flight, but do trigger warnings that inform users of potential risks.

Geo Zones are color-coded by DJI and represent their assessment of risk and restrictions:

e16f965556d28ba5ed9512c27beea8e9.jpg

Geo Zones are flight limitation areas imposed by DJI...not a regulatory agency like the FAA. In order to operate in most Geo Zones it requires an unlocking procedure. This unlocking, while currently available on most DJI platforms, is not yet available on the Mavic Mini.

Restricted airspace (in FAA terms) is a specific type of airspace defined by regulation:

The two categories of airspace are: regulatory and nonregulatory. Within these two categories, there are four types: controlled, uncontrolled, special use, and other airspace. The categories and types of airspace are dictated by the complexity or density of aircraft movements, nature of the operations conducted within the airspace, the level of safety required, and national and public interest.

Restricted airspace is a type of special use airspace and is an area of airspace typically used by the military in which the local controlling authorities have determined that air traffic must be restricted or prohibited for safety or security concerns. It is one of many types of special use airspace designations and is depicted on aeronautical charts with the letter "R" followed by a serial number.

In your case you want to fly in Class D airspace...DJI has defined this area with a Geo Zone as well...unfortunately the Geo Zone system will not allow you to operate there as the unlocking procedure will not exists for the Mini until (reportedly) late December...

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueOval24
That seems to only apply to authorization zones. One has unlocked an enhanced warning zone.

Although separate systems, DJI does try to correlate with government zones.

In the past, nearly a year ago, DJI used circles which wasn't as accurate as the geometric shapes they use now.

Should be able to fly max 25-50ft in the privacy of your old home or yard fir practicing or video/ pictures of kids in the pool, I have to drive 5 km out of town to use it, wish I never bought it, should have bought a different ( cheaper one) that allows it

I agree with some missing elements, but not supporting half the reasonablely model mobile devices out there without clearly spelling out the requirements, and having NFZ with no unlock, app not showing up in Google Play on a search, is just plain ridiculous.

That's just lazy development.
Or very RUSHED development.......

Actually the term restricted airspace is misused alot in drone forums...what they typically mean in the context of this thread is a DJI Geo Zone.

DJI’s GEO System delineates where it is safe to fly, where flight may raise concerns, and where flight is restricted. GEO zones that prohibit flight are implemented around locations such as airports, power plants, and prisons. They are also implemented temporarily around major stadium events, forest fires, or other emergency situations. Certain GEO zones don’t prohibit flight, but do trigger warnings that inform users of potential risks.

Geo Zones are color-coded by DJI and represent their assessment of risk and restrictions:

e16f965556d28ba5ed9512c27beea8e9.jpg

Geo Zones are flight limitation areas imposed by DJI...not a regulatory agency like the FAA. In order to operate in most Geo Zones it requires an unlocking procedure. This unlocking, while currently available on most DJI platforms, is not yet available on the Mavic Mini.

Restricted airspace (in FAA terms) is a specific type of airspace defined by regulation:

The two categories of airspace are: regulatory and nonregulatory. Within these two categories, there are four types: controlled, uncontrolled, special use, and other airspace. The categories and types of airspace are dictated by the complexity or density of aircraft movements, nature of the operations conducted within the airspace, the level of safety required, and national and public interest.

Restricted airspace is a type of special use airspace and is an area of airspace typically used by the military in which the local controlling authorities have determined that air traffic must be restricted or prohibited for safety or security concerns. It is one of many types of special use airspace designations and is depicted on aeronautical charts with the letter "R" followed by a serial number.

In your case you want to fly in Class D airspace...DJI has defined this area with a Geo Zone as well...unfortunately the Geo Zone system will not allow you to operate there as the unlocking procedure will not exists for the Mini until (reportedly) late December...
Thank you for that clear explanation. While I had a pretty good idea what all those colors meant, your explanation cleared things up!

What an amazing explanation. Thank you so much for that. I just obtained unlock codes for my Spark for an upcoming trip to Jamaica Ochi. Here's my follow up question:

I am attaching a screen capture of the area from the DJI unlock page. You can see the resort is just within a defined area requiring unlocking. Also within the area is the golf course. Will my same unlock code for the resort also allow me to fly at the golf course or anywhere else within the airport's geozone where unlocking the restriction is available?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-24 08.37.05.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-24 08.37.05.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 29
What an amazing explanation. Thank you so much for that. I just obtained unlock codes for my Spark for an upcoming trip to Jamaica Ochi. Here's my follow up question:

I am attaching a screen capture of the area from the DJI unlock page. You can see the resort is just within a defined area requiring unlocking. Also within the area is the golf course. Will my same unlock code for the resort also allow me to fly at the golf course or anywhere else within the airport's geozone where unlocking the restriction is available?
Cant see why not, dont think golf course gonna have a red zone

If the screen shot Scottalmas posted is from the Geo Zone system it appears to be an ‘altitude zone’...in which only altitude is limited.
You’ll get warnings from the GO 4 app but should be able to fly up to a preset altitude in the unlock...

The only caveat is when you requested an unlock did you specify a takeoff area and a specific radius or corridor for your operation? If so you may be limited to that requested area - please go back and review your request.

You could always amend/resubmit the request to include the golf course.

Looks like that area is part of the approach/departure path to a runway....hence the shape of that zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman