DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updating Software

EricE

Reactions
What is everyone's opinion on updating DJI Go 4 software each and every time it asks you to do so? I have flown my MA for about 8 months and have not updated anything because I had thought I had read not to.

i personally always keep things up to date, but there are others who say not to do it, its your choice whether you do or not, but there may come a time when not updating could affect the ability of your drone to fly at all

Reactions: Flycaster
Was updating firmware when I spotted this thread.
Going great until it got to 99%, it has hung for so long I am starting to get really worried.
Here’s to hoping.?

i personally always keep things up to date, but there are others who say not to do it, its your choice whether you do or not, but there may come a time when not updating could affect the ability of your drone to fly at all

I haven't updated anything in over 2 years. My bird flies fine. No hiccups.
But yes, it is your choice. Just try to do research, and let others be the "beta testers" see how they are liking it, and then you make your decision.

But I am of the camp, "Ain't broke, don't mess with it"...'. I don't have the quizzes, general hobbling that has gone on over the update history, gimbal issues and no NFZ issues. I check myself.
Some folks have "updated" there setups, to find they cannot even fly at home anymore, (living anywhere somewhat near an airport etc.) Some folks are happy with their updates and such, but......

Remember, you used to be able to back rev, but alas, nevermore.......Once you've done it, no going back....

Question to OMM:

If you have never updated anything, everything is happy for you and your setup, you've left it alone, and never let your system "phone home", how can it become "unable to fly"?

Still at 99% controller says ready to go but the update is 99%.
At this rate a battery on something is going to run out.
If it eventually works its the last update I will ever do unless I have no choice.

Still at 99% controller says ready to go but the update is 99%.
At this rate a battery on something is going to run out.
If it eventually works its the last update I will ever do unless I have no choice.
here is a link to some of the same issues you can take a quick look at before something "dies".

It may be good to go after re-booting everything and all. But look at some of these before you
"call it good", and decide to finish and reboot.

sorry that's all I've got, the only time I connected to the outside was when I activated 2 years ago.

Side note, I just remembered, I did have issues with just activating. The signals from the Mavic were blowing out my wifi. I connected my pc to a hard wire LAN cable killed house wifi and that was it.

iPad gave out first, in hind sight I should have given it a full charge first but it looked like it had plenty of life in it.
But YEY all looks OK after a re-boot.
I now have precise fly safe database update required, Ignore or Update, guess what I am going for.

Reactions: Bobvt
Well, that's good news!
As to the database?
lemme guess...."I don't think so, Tim".......

Psst, I do have a link somewhere here for a version of the Go4 app from NLD that seems real stable after 3 months of playing with it. I only went with it because for 2 years, the little "radar" thingy NEVER matched the attitude of the AC, that little red arrow never corresponded. and I tried all sorts of things.
With the NLD version of the go4 app, that fixed my only issue with the whole kit!! They "stripped out" the cr*p that hindered things and all is golden

Look for No Limit Drones NLDgo4 4.1.22 .apk...

Last edited:
I always update. The issue with calling people who update beta testers is that any issues found in one firmware issue are only updated and fixed in the next version.

So if you play by this rule you’ll never update and miss out on genuinely useful additional features and fixes.

I also always update via the Go app and handset. Did with with MA and do with my M2P. Never had a failed installation.

You are correct. That's why I play by that rule.

I did not need to have flight modes (asteroid/spiral whatever tossed into the update as "bait" (I learned to fly them manually, with practice, and only to have to learned that some others, a few folks, not everybody started having issues have popped up, gimbal resets, nagging quizzes, NFZ and the such.

If you want go that way, all power to you. It's a personal choice.

Me? All firmware is out of the box 2 years ago. The only thing I changed was the Go4 app from NLD. I dictate if my kit phones home, and it never has. Never will.

Last edited:
I haven't updated anything in over 2 years. My bird flies fine. No hiccups.
But yes, it is your choice. Just try to do research, and let others be the "beta testers" see how they are liking it, and then you make your decision.

But I am of the camp, "Ain't broke, don't mess with it"...'. I don't have the quizzes, general hobbling that has gone on over the update history, gimbal issues and no NFZ issues. I check myself.
Some folks have "updated" there setups, to find they cannot even fly at home anymore, (living anywhere somewhat near an airport etc.) Some folks are happy with their updates and such, but......

Remember, you used to be able to back rev, but alas, nevermore.......Once you've done it, no going back....

Question to OMM:

If you have never updated anything, everything is happy for you and your setup, you've left it alone, and never let your system "phone home", how can it become "unable to fly"?
i say that because if these drones are as clever as people think they are, and are sending info to dji, then maybe just maybe DJI will know that peoples drones are not being updated ,and find some way of preventing them from flying if the latest firmware,software,is not installed ,who knows

I can see where that may be possible if the AC can clandestinly connect to the internet, or always have your setup connecting to the net via cell or wifi. But as long as you kill wifi at home, and go into airplane mode on your device of choice, when you power up, then it will never see the internet everytime you power up your AC/controller and you keep control over your purchase
Hopefully.

Reactions: old man mavic
I can see where that may be possible if the AC can clandestinly connect to the internet, or always have your setup connecting to the net via cell or wifi. But as long as you kill wifi at home, and go into airplane mode on your device of choice, when you power up, then it will never see the internet everytime you power up your AC/controller and you keep control over your purchase
Hopefully.
that would work but in this day and age there are not many people who are not connected to the internet big brother is watching you

Yuppers, and unfortunatly, that is true, but I don't care about "Alexa" hearing what goes on at home, very boring. A vid camera at the store as I walk in, meh. Taking a picture of my car going thru a toll booth, so what....Some things we have no "absolute "control over

But as to paying 1299, for the equipment I got, I feel I got what I paid for, and don't want it "hobbled" in my opinion. Tablet always has wifi/cell sevices turned off, I use downloaded maps, and I always turn off home wifi when I power up my bird to either check or change some settings before heading out.

I like my kit the way I purchased it. That, I have control over.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yuppers, and unfortunatly, that is true, but I don't care about "Alexa" hearing what goes on at home, very boring. A vid camera at the store as I walk in, meh. Taking a picture of my car going thru a toll booth, so what....Some things we have no "absolute "control over

But as to paying 1299, for the equipment I got, I feel I got what I paid for, and don't want it "hobbled" in my opinion. Tablet always has wifi/cell sevices turned off, I use downloaded maps, and I always turn off home wifi when I power up my bird to either check or change some settings before heading out.

I like my kit the way I purchased it. That, I have control over.
if that is your bag then no problem, here in the UK,there is going to be drone registration, and an online test that will have to be taken if we want to fly legally,and although i realise that in the US there are many out of the way places, that you would probably not have to worry about law enforcement catching you in the air without being registered etc, things are very different in the UK by the way surely DJI know you have one of their drones or how did you set it up when you first purchased it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS