DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Updrafts, 400' Rule, and the Ocean

Ars3nal3432

Reactions
I was flying the other day over the ocean around 300ft. All the sudden my max altitude warning came on (I have my warning set to limit my altitude to 390 feet). I also noticed an altimeter error when I flew within 50 feet of the ocean. It read zero a couple of times when I was around 30 feet.

Is it possible to hit an updraft that would send the drone up 90ft in a matter of seconds?

What happens if you go past the distance / height parameters in terms of the drone? Does it return within the parameters on its own?

I was flying the other day over the ocean around 300ft. All the sudden my max altitude warning came on (I have my warning set to limit my altitude to 390 feet). I also noticed an altimeter error when I flew within 50 feet of the ocean. It read zero a couple of times when I was around 30 feet.
Is it possible to hit an updraft that would send the drone up 90ft in a matter of seconds?
It's very unlikely that you would find an updraft strong enough to carry the drone upwards over open ocean.
The drone would sense the altitude change and work to maintain altitude.
And there just aren't updrafts that strong except close to cliff edges on windy days.

To find out what the issue was, a lok at your flight data is in order.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file.
What happens if you go past the distance / height parameters in terms of the drone? Does it return within the parameters on its own?
Your drone would act like it hit a soft invisible wall and would not pass your limits.

It's very unlikely that you would find an updraft strong enough to carry the drone upwards over open ocean.
The drone would sense the altitude change and work to maintain altitude.
And there just aren't updrafts that strong except close to cliff edges on windy days.

To find out what the issue was, a lok at your flight data is in order.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file.

Your drone would act like it hit a soft invisible wall and would not pass your limits.
Thanks for the reply. Im sorry I should have been more descriptive with the conditions. I was flying next to a cliff, however I was about 500 feet away from it, yet the wind was calm.

I would rather not post my flight log on the internet. I will keep an eye on it and post again if it happens. Also, I think I figured out why the altitude read 0 at one point.... I took off from a hill above sea level.

I would rather not post my flight log on the internet. I will keep an eye on it and post again if it happens. Also, I think I figured out why the altitude read 0 at one point.... I took off from a hill above sea level.
It's hard to see what there is to worry about posting the data, but if you do want to find out what actually happened instead of wondering, you can PM the data to me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661