DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Upgraded from Spark to MP1, not very happy, M2 way to go ?

It’s possible I didn’t use the correct term but the op is using a Mavic Pro which has a fixed aperture and fixed focal length. So neither of those things can changed.

Like I said maybe not the right technical term but since a far away object reflects light in a more dispersed angle then a closer object it takes longer for the same amount of light to collect on the sensor with the same clarity from a further object then a nearer object. So the exposure time must be increased to allow the light from the far off object to accumulate on the sensor.

Same idea as using ND filters for astrophotography where by using a long exposure the additive effect of the light on the sensor reduces the atmospheric haze and allows greater clarity of the light from a distant object.

Not sure what this is called. View attachment 70950
View attachment 70951
“ it takes longer for the same amount of light to collect on the sensor with the same clarity from a further object then a nearer object. So the exposure time must be increased to allow the light from the far off object to accumulate on the sensor”

If that were true, how could you ever take a picture with something in the foreground and something in the deep background and have them both be correctly exposed? You couldn’t, ever. Everything in the background would be underexposed if the near subject was correctly exposed. Yet we see landscape photos, for example, with foreground objects and background objects both exposed correctly. Or sports photos, or wildlife...

So after posting this and finding out that you can't do proper 3x3 panos with the MP (unless you want to mostly see the sky, well ok 50%) and that you had to severely underexpose to get usable Spheres (that's not too hard to fix) I came across the "tilted horizon on yaw and turn" issue. So I sadly (range and battery were great) had to send the Mavic Alpine Combo back and got the...Mavic Air Combo. It came with a DOA battery unfortunately so it's been a bit hard to do long stretches of testing.

Still I've found that the Air is a "Spark on Steroids" and does better just about everywhere, flying abilities (P-GPS is actually usable at about 29kph), gimbal stabilization (no horizon tilt here and still works on yawing in sports mode which I didn't expect), battery life, quickshots (Asteroid is neat and Dronie/Circle, etc... are more "stable"). The range is better too but about 1/2 of what you can get with the MP flying through trees (the Spark would be 1/3rd). It would be ideal for someone who doesn't already own a...Spark. Unfortunately in my case the M2z is still calling with its better range/battery life, vastly improved Active Track 2.0.

TBC !

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife