DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US lawmakers fear DJI drones will be weaponized

[...] advanced communications systems that could be weaponized [...]

Meaning: They're not currently being weaponized?

Problem: Grenades can be dropped from drones, as seen used in the Ukraine war. Ergo, they also could be dropped from drones within the USA. However, grenades could also be dropped from any apartment balcony.

Solution: Ban grenades? Nope, instead let's ban drones and balconies!

Brilliant. Problem solved.

Reactions: djwak59
First that I've heard this explanation. I suppose any drone could be used in the same manner. I would have to tip my hat to DJI for being a drone manufacturer that uses GEO fencing to avoid a security breach. Unless hacked, a drone manufactured by DJI will not start in a NFZ.

There is MORE behind this than meets the eye.
Yeah there’s more behind this. There’s big business lobbyists pushing for control of the airways for their deliveries.
Yayyy America, where money talks !

Two words explain all of this.
1. Elise
2. Stefanek
Skydio is only one word..

But, here are some other two worders who are co-sponsoring this bill:
  • Rep. Gallagher, Mike [R-WI-8]
  • Rep. Mills, Cory [R-FL-7]
  • Rep. Guest, Michael [R-MS-3]
  • Rep. Moolenaar, John R. [R-MI-2]
  • Rep. Williams, Brandon [R-NY-22]
  • Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]
  • Rep. Boebert, Lauren [R-CO-3]
  • Rep. Rose, John W. [R-TN-6]
  • Rep. Cole, Tom [R-OK-4]
  • Rep. Mast, Brian J. [R-FL-21]
  • Rep. Lawler, Michael [R-NY-17]
  • Rep. Hinson, Ashley [R-IA-2]
  • Rep. Higgins, Clay [R-LA-3]
  • Rep. Guthrie, Brett [R-KY-2]
  • Rep. Alford, Mark [R-MO-4]

Reactions: DoomMeister
The Chinese have over 600 satellites. Of those, more than 360 are intelligence, surveillance or reconnaissance (isr) satellites, second only in size to the USA. Drones simply can't compete and as others have mentioned, if they wanted to be "weaponized" for nefarious purposes, just use a non banned drone.

Just a redneck,s thoughts but why is the US even thinking war with china ?looks like to me we should have them as an allie in case of another war when i got my first spark and was flying it with mission hub the things i could do with it and litchi amazed me and the self keeping ability of spark I always got a kick out of like when i got the message drone request,s to come home well the ladys voice always made it sound so distressed, Anyway most pilots have heard this , and i used to think wow if china can put all this into this little drone I sure hope we don,t go to war with them!! ,we didn,t and i don,t think that we can match there tech knoweledge now ,but drones would probably be the least of my worries hell a full choke winchester 12 ga can take care of that and how many of those are lying around the house of americans I,m pretty sure that if given the go there is alot of folks that would jump at the chance ,I,m afraid that if we start shooting at each other again drones will be the least of our worries ,And hats off to DJI for scarin the pants of the ignorant LOL why would any of this be an issue surely there is a few in congress with common sense and let us keep using these amazing time and effort saving tools in are everyday life ,Dave Canada

I get the impression that people are thinking these drones can self-activate. Like China is going to invade some day and the drones will wake up darken our skies, spying on strike targets and flying into jet engines.

Most of these drones can't fly longer than 20-30 minutes, but somehow they're going to take over like Skynet or something.

Skydio is only one word..

But, here are some other two worders who are co-sponsoring this bill:
  • Rep. Gallagher, Mike [R-WI-8]
  • Rep. Mills, Cory [R-FL-7]
  • Rep. Guest, Michael [R-MS-3]
  • Rep. Moolenaar, John R. [R-MI-2]
  • Rep. Williams, Brandon [R-NY-22]
  • Rep. Krishnamoorthi, Raja [D-IL-8]
  • Rep. Boebert, Lauren [R-CO-3]
  • Rep. Rose, John W. [R-TN-6]
  • Rep. Cole, Tom [R-OK-4]
  • Rep. Mast, Brian J. [R-FL-21]
  • Rep. Lawler, Michael [R-NY-17]
  • Rep. Hinson, Ashley [R-IA-2]
  • Rep. Higgins, Clay [R-LA-3]
  • Rep. Guthrie, Brett [R-KY-2]
  • Rep. Alford, Mark [R-MO-4]
Awful lot of “R” there. Hmm.

Awful lot of “R” there. Hmm.
Indeed. Both parties have an equal opportunity to stop the madness from continuing though.

First that I've heard this explanation. I suppose any drone could be used in the same manner. I would have to tip my hat to DJI for being a drone manufacturer that uses GEO fencing to avoid a security breach. Unless hacked, a drone manufactured by DJI will not start in a NFZ.

There is MORE behind this than meets the eye.
Of course there is more behind it.and that is for political gain only and nothing else.

Instead now it looks like they agree equally on the ban,so sad.
Or at least equally for the larger bill in question. I haven't seen many lawmakers comment specifically on the Countering CCP Drones Act.

The replies from my reps in DC were disappointing confirmations that they don't understand the topic OR the cure. It's nothing to do with safety, national security or imminent Chinese threats. It's all to do with China eating our lunch in EV and drone tech.

Bottom line: If they ban the competition, we can still pretend American products are great. 🙄
Oh but there is Skydio,which is at best a decade behind DJI in technology

Or at least equally for the larger bill in question. I haven't seen many lawmakers comment specifically on the Countering CCP Drones Act.
And they will not comment on it,as long as it is cleverly in with the larger bill.These people will not even look at it,just the larger portions of the bill.
And I am sure it will be voted for and passed as is,and that will be that.

Oh but there is Skydio,which is at best a decade behind DJI in technology
Not quite equal to DJI but I wouldn't call them a decade behind in technology. Skydio has a lot of stuff DJI doesn't have and some of it, DJI desperately wants and has tried their best to copy (steal). OA on even the Skydio 1 is 10 times better than the best on DJI today and only recently has DJI closed the gap a bit. And Skydio has a lot of cool features which DJI will ultimately roll out now that Skydio has exited the consumer market and DJI can pretend like they came up with it first.

For example, I can see DJI doing a lot of good things with a personal beacon for example. Even today, you cannot press the sticks forward and force a DJI to punch it's way thru pretty much anything ahead of it regardless the terrain. Pretty impressive when you watch a Skydio do it.

The X10 is no slouch and no it isn't 10 years behind DJI:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Cafguy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjyr