DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USA Today front page

Nope not good but nothing new about it. They have been using drones for a long time.

Rob

If I were a jail, I would start to worry when DJI makes a drone capable of lifting a 200 pound man out of prison. But then again, there's always that chance of DJI Go crashing and hovering the escapee at 200' in place above the prison, running out of battery, and then plopping the inmate right back where he got picked up. Or the drone running out of battery because the guy had been to heavy, and critically landing him in the middle of a busy highway. In any case, prison inmates are going to get what they want to get anyway from prison insiders. Drones are the least of their problems.

If I were a jail, I would start to worry when DJI makes a drone capable of lifting a 200 pound man out of prison. But then again, there's always that chance of DJI Go crashing and hovering the escapee at 200' in place above the prison, running out of battery, and then plopping the inmate right back where he got picked up. Or the drone running out of battery because the guy had been to heavy, and critically landing him in the middle of a busy highway. In any case, prison inmates are going to get what they want to get anyway from prison insiders. Drones are the least of their problems.
That's pretty good!

Around here, all the prisons are NFZs. So, it would be tough to use a late-model DJI aircraft for this purpose.

OK, those who refuse to update so that prisons will be NFZ's better get your tin foil hats out. Homeland Security might be checking or watching already. Time to go totally off the grid.

I think the issue is drones dropping stuff like hand guns and the like. That would be a scary thought.

Really nothing new; check out news from my country: A drone about to deliver a cell phone in a prison was "shot down" with a broom by a guardian; article here (sadly not in English, but trust me it is for real) :D

Never will understand why we don't have Weld the Door Shut prisons. Come in go to your very small very uncomfortable cell. Welder comes along welds the door shut. Sign on the outside has the date they cut the welds loose. They will not be cut until that day. Sick too bad, Dead too bad for the noses of the others for a little while. Twice a day day old bread. Hole in floor with a water spout high above running a small stream continually. Done. Want to take bets on recidivism?

Reactions: skyeye73 and newguy
Smuggling items into the prisons has always been an issue. Item drops used to be as simple as just throwing it over the fence. Thing is, a drone is easy to spot making a drop. It is a loud buzzing sound, not hard to miss. Also, not an efficient way of making a drop because it's very likely you will be caught or that the wrong person will get your item.

Reactions: Former Member
Those old Phantom1's do have their use.
It might even become suspicious to buy one second hand.

So now we can blame drones for inmates getting their hands on things, instead of corrupt prison staff. Thanks USA Today, keep up the good work!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan