DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB to battery adapter

mattitech07

Reactions
I would really like to be able to charge my batteries using USB, with a powerbank. I found this accessory on Aliexpress that does just what I want. But is it safe to charge the battery this way? Did anyone try it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-17-10-23-04-093_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-17-10-23-04-093_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 28
Matt, interesting question. My guess is that the battery adapter may not connect (a dummy pin) to a necessary charging socket for safety reasons, in other words, the adapter only allows for the battery to power other devices. Maybe u already know but there is a cigaret lighter adapter for charging in an automobile. DJI has packaged these batteries very well, you rarely hear of issues but they pack a heart punch and ignited lithium batteries are hard to extinguish. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: mattitech07
Matt, interesting question. My guess is that the battery adapter may not connect (a dummy pin) to a necessary charging socket for safety reasons, in other words, the adapter only allows for the battery to power other devices. Maybe u already know but there is a cigaret lighter adapter for charging in an automobile. DJI has packaged these batteries very well, you rarely hear of issues but they pack a heart punch and ignited lithium batteries are hard to extinguish. Just my thoughts.
So, the only problem might be that the battery will not recognize the adapter as a charger because of how it is coded by dji and not charge. This it technically the only problem, right? I've seen the video on the amazon page and it looks like it is going to work, it just says that it requires an input of 40W, so not every powerbank might be able to power it. The reviews are quite positive.

I've seen the video on the amazon page and it looks like it is going to work, it just says that it requires an input of 40W, so not every powerbank might be able to power it. The reviews are quite positive.
That adapter actually has two USB-C inputs, and I wouldn't be surprised if each maxxed out at 5V/3A (or 9V/2A).
If you only connect one, it charges more slowly than if you connect both.

I posted a related question in the Air 2S forum recently.

That adapter actually has two USB-C inputs, and I wouldn't be surprised if each maxxed out at 5V/3A (or 9V/2A).
If you only connect one, it charges more slowly than if you connect both.

I posted a related question in the Air 2S forum recently.
The charger I've found has one usb-c ports and it claims 40W input and a charging time of about 70 minutes. It looks like the one you've mentioned but I think its fast enough? I don't understand volts and amps very well so I'll send you a screenshot and tell me what you think about this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20221018_090808.jpg
    IMG_20221018_090808.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 7
Those specs look decent. Slightly concerning that they've used the same photo as the 2-port one I linked from my post, just with different words on it.

Reactions: mattitech07
Those specs look decent. Slightly concerning that they've used the same photo as the 2-port one I linked from my post, just with different words on it.
The amazon page also has a video showing the whole adapter and it shows only one usb c port. I think it is common for resellers on amazon/aliexpress to have similar/identical images or even accessories that are very similar and have small differences spec-wise. On the whole it looks good. I'm just concerned if the battery will be able to charge safely even if this is not the official charger(I think dji has made them smart enough to cut the power if they receive too much or something else)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13