DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use my first instance of Care-Refresh (2 year) or should I pay out of pocket

Steve Wells

Reactions
So i finally got a quote for the repair to this thread. M3 APAS - setting real expectations. They never even responded if this was a design defect and just sent me a repair bill (I argued that if IPAS can’t find tree branches then ARTH is never going to work therefore it was a faulty avoidance issue covered under warranty. I’ll call tomorrow to push that point but I’m not confident).

One option is to take my first of three repairs on my care refresh 2 year at $159 USD or my other option is to pay ~$350 out of pocket for the repair. Obviously paying $200 extra seems like a no-brained, but i was pausing about two points: 1)My M3 is still new and should i keep all three for future issues? 2)If I do find a way to not refresh in the 2 year window my warranty is extended for one additional year. Is that worth $200?

I’m on the fence. Anyone have any insights? Much appreciated.

So i finally got a quote for the repair to this thread. M3 APAS - setting real expectations. They never even responded if this was a design defect and just sent me a repair bill (I argued that if IPAS can’t find tree branches then ARTH is never going to work therefore it was a faulty avoidance issue covered under warranty. I’ll call tomorrow to push that point but I’m not confident).

One option is to take my first of three repairs on my care refresh 2 year at $159 USD or my other option is to pay ~$350 out of pocket for the repair. Obviously paying $200 extra seems like a no-brained, but i was pausing about two points: 1)My M3 is still new and should i keep all three for future issues? 2)If I do find a way to not refresh in the 2 year window my warranty is extended for one additional year. Is that worth $200?

I would personally take the refresh. Having 3 crashes in 2 years is a lot. It’s understandable having a crash being new and not knowing the boundaries but once you get the hang of it it’s not hard not to crash. If you have 4 crashes in two years it might be time to look at a different hobby.

Obstacle avoidance sensors are like airbags, you hope you never have to use them. Now I get that people see the ads of it flying through the forest in active track so I know where that expectation comes from but this is a lot of marketing hype in my opinion. Fly in open areas, now you know

I I'm probably a strange dude, but I've had my M2Z for 2 years and never had a problem (or crash) at all. Mistakes can happen, but how often do do anticipate crashing? I never got the care/refresh, but I believe it allows 2 or 3 incidents during the period. Since you already paid out for the coverage, I think I would go ahead and use it, and chalk it up as a learning experience. By the way, the obstical avoidance will usually not see branches unless they are very large, especially during times of the year when the leaves are off.

I'm not sure I see the benefit in paying to carry the care refresh and then paying more to repair the drone to save your refreshes for some event that may or may not ever happen. That feels a bit like holding your timeouts to the end of the half in case you get in trouble later when you're already in trouble now. I get how it might be a bummer to have to use it so early in the product's life, but to me hoarding the refreshes does not feel like the right way to go.

I'm new to this hobby, so that's not based on experience in this particular field, but rather general experience.

I own six drones. All of them with DJI care. I just had to claim once and was not my fault so I do not have to pay a dime.
3 of my drones the 2 years of care already are expired. Bottom line. Based on the way I fly my drones is less likely I will have a crash. If I need to use the care I will use it no doubts.

Reactions: VinceEdward
I would take the Care/Refresh. You've already paid for the insurance. Down the road, if need be you can go private. I would suggest, being in the US is adding State Farm Insurance. It is full coverage, including theft, but not only does it cover your drone, but everything in your kit should the kit be stolen with controller, and whatever you list as part of your "kit". You'll probably have to produce an invoice as I did, but my M2p and Mini 2 are scheduled. However I would probably never make an SF claim on my Mini 2, but the M2 would be a consideration for if a total loss were in the picture. I also have care/refresh on both drones for minor stuff.

Ditto on claiming, best to get the new bird, assume not refurb.

On OA, yes, common for this not to pick up fine things like leafless tree branches, powerlines, thin antenna tops etc.
I would certainly try once more to get a warranty claim, especially if you have some video showing noticeable branches in the foreground (assuming flying forward incident).
Usually DJI don’t cover some OA incidents as the fine object thing is usually mentioned in their manuals.

Good luck !

Hey thanks all. With the feedback i took the care refresh. It does seem as its a repair vs a new bird. They reported the repairs are complete and test flights, QA, and shipping are pending.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy