DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use of cached maps in remote areas

Cimriver

Reactions
I understand how to cache Google Maps to an iOS or Android device, but am not completely clear on how the DJI GO 4 app uses them. I plan on working in some areas that do not have any cellular connection at all. I will be using a iPAD Mini 2 for the app platform with my Android phone as a hotspot. Will this combination work? My assumption is that the iPAD will get it's location information from the Android phone. Am I correct or am I missing something?

I understand how to cache Google Maps to an iOS or Android device, but am not completely clear on how the DJI GO 4 app uses them
It displays the cached map images in DJI GO as you're flying. Without the cached images, the map will be blank.

I will be using a iPAD Mini 2 for the app platform with my Android phone as a hotspot.
You don't need to cache the maps beforehand if you're going to be connected to a hotspot. The map images will download as needed in real-time.

It displays the cached map images in DJI GO as you're flying. Without the cached images, the map will be blank.

You don't need to cache the maps beforehand if you're going to be connected to a hotspot. The map images will download as needed in real-time.
Again I will not not be in an area with cellular coverage. I would only use the Android phone as a hotspot to enable the DJI GO4 app to know it's location. I should have said that my iPAD is wi-fi only.

A hotspot will only allow you to share the Internet connection between your phone and iPad. If in an area where there is no cell reception, there will be no benefit to using a hotspot. You'll need to cache the maps ahead of time in a location where you have an Internet connection or cell service if you're going to do that via a hotspot.

Reactions: EsiMavic
How will the iPAD know it's location? The iPAD Mini 2 does not have an on board GPS receiver. The Android phone does. My thinking is that the Android phone in Hotspot mode will provide the iPAD a location for the DJI GO 4 app. How else will the app know it's location?

The Mavic contains a GPS receiver. It uses that to track its current location.

The Mavic contains a GPS receiver. It uses that to track its current location.
Yes I know the Mavic has a GPS receiver. Let's say I launch the Mavic and it records it's RTH position. While I am flying the Mavic I move to a different position. Now I need to change the RTH position. What tells the RC Controller or iPAD (Wi-Fi only) my new position to provide to the Mavic? Unless there is a GPS receiver in the RC Controller, the only way I can see the app can know where it's current location is, is if it can get the location from the Android phone in Hot Spot mode. I understand the Android can't provide me with an internet connection in a remote area, requiring me to cache the map prior to going to the field.

While I am flying the Mavic I move to a different position. Now I need to change the RTH position. What tells the RC Controller or iPAD (Wi-Fi only) my new position to provide to the Mavic?
You would either need a mobile device that has a GPS receiver or you'd need to connect an external GPS receiver to your Wi-Fi only mobile device. Otherwise, you'll only be able to manually reset the home point to the Mavic's current location.

Go to the location and make a short flight. Now go back home where you have Wifi connection and open the review of the flight you just made. The app will now download the map data. Go back to the same spot and start to fly, if it worked then you should be able to see the cached map! Works on my iPad mini, a G4 version but I don't have a sim card in it.
Don't forget to set the 'cache map' setting.

No one has really answered the question. DJI GO 4 does not use Google maps, how do you cached the map before you get to the remote area. I'm interested in this also as I'm planning a trip to Northern Quebec, there is no cell service and it is a three day trip to get there.

Reactions: timiniafrica
Yes, nice for DJI Go, but the that version is not supported after February of 2017. As the OP asked in his message was for DJI GO 4. Is it the same for DJI GO 4? Just looked at DJI GO 4 and you cannot cache maps the same as DJI GO.

Last edited:
Caching works the same way in all versions of DJI GO 3/4.

There are a million maps in the world. none of them are stored on your tablet. you need the internet to dload them or cache them to your ipad. the gps chip in your tablet only tells the tablet where it is on earth, it does not dload a map you still need internet(wifi) for this. you need to cache the maps when you have internet before you go out to the remote site with no internet. If your tablet (ipad) doesnt have a gps chip in it then you wont be able to send your current location to the mavic to change your RTH location,

Caching works the same way in all versions of DJI GO 3/4.
The other thread you referred to suggests IOS and Android version differ. Seemingly IOS versions require a selection.
The "Cache Maps in the Background" setting only exists on Apple devices. Android devices will cache the map data automatically.

Interestingly on Android DJIGo4, S7edge, I am not seeing my HERE maps getting cached reliably. Flew for several hours around an area yesterday in an area with excellent internet reception and was using the maps. Later on, when I had moved out of internet coverage I went and reviewed the flights I made and there were no maps cached beneath them. Even though they had been loaded and I had used them when flying. At some point they were removed.

Works fine for me, Go4 latest version on iOS mini 2. But you have to been there before like I told above, haven't found a solution yet for a place where I haven't been before. But the HERE maps are **** anyway, I prefer to use Autopilot as it still uses up to date Google maps.

I have cached maps by the following method while I'm at home... although I should say I have not checked this method this on the latest version of Go4... and I use a tablet (Samsung Tab S2)

While at home, connected to internet, start everything up and wait for the Mavic to acquire satellite position. The area should appear on your map screen. once that is done scroll the map to the desired area you will be flying and let the map screen update to that area. Now that map area is on your tablet. Shut off your WiFi connection, shut down the Mavic and Go app. The map of your desired area should still be on your device when you boot up in that area.

Drawback: You kinda got to figure out what zoom level you you are going to need because you cannot (obviously) update it in the remote area. To big an area and you do not get good resolution, too small an area and you fly out of the cached map and you get a blank page.

Hope this helps.... and works for that matter, as I said, have not tried this method in a while...

Reactions: Schrecky
Yes I know the Mavic has a GPS receiver. Let's say I launch the Mavic and it records it's RTH position. While I am flying the Mavic I move to a different position. Now I need to change the RTH position. What tells the RC Controller or iPAD (Wi-Fi only) my new position to provide to the Mavic? Unless there is a GPS receiver in the RC Controller, the only way I can see the app can know where it's current location is, is if it can get the location from the Android phone in Hot Spot mode. I understand the Android can't provide me with an internet connection in a remote area, requiring me to cache the map prior to going to the field.

You really should consider selling your ipad and buying one with a cellular radio in it to get the GPS if you want to be able to change the RTH point to a new location mid flight. Or buy the external GPS, the one benefit of the external GPS is you can use it for future devices, but its another thing to charge and carry around.

I have cached maps by the following method while I'm at home... although I should say I have not checked this method this on the latest version of Go4... and I use a tablet (Samsung Tab S2)

While at home, connected to internet, start everything up and wait for the Mavic to acquire satellite position. The area should appear on your map screen. once that is done scroll the map to the desired area you will be flying and let the map screen update to that area. Now that map area is on your tablet. Shut off your WiFi connection, shut down the Mavic and Go app. The map of your desired area should still be on your device when you boot up in that area.

Drawback: You kinda got to figure out what zoom level you you are going to need because you cannot (obviously) update it in the remote area. To big an area and you do not get good resolution, too small an area and you fly out of the cached map and you get a blank page.

Hope this helps.... and works for that matter, as I said, have not tried this method in a while...
I don't turn my mavic or controller on to cache the maps. I simply open the Go app on my phone while it still has Internet then connect to the camera view. It will obviously be blank, then maximize the map view and scroll to the area where I'll be flying. I'll zoom in to get good details then slowly scroll around the map. You'll see it slowly downloading all the satellite images. I still use Dji go version 3.01 though because I don't like the Here Maps.

and what are you going to do when DJI GO does not work and you have to move to DJI GO4?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403