DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use of FAA logo.

Boise Jim

Reactions
I searched but didn't really find anything.
I reached out to the FAA about using a logo on my website to help me stand out against the competition, and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

You may not use the FAA logo.

Oh, well, it was worth a try!

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Old Chinese proverb say... Better to ask forgiveness, than ask permission.

Ok... so maybe not Chinese... but still good advice. I'm sure they would have never contacted you about it as long as you didn't claim to be the FAA

I searched but didn't really find anything.
I reached out to the FAA about using a logo on my website to help me stand out against the competition, and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

You may not use the FAA logo.

Oh, well, it was worth a try!
After 30 years in marketing and advertising, almost weekly I am faced with this question. A logo is considered a Trademark and I know no business, non-profit or government entity that will allow you to use their logo without their previous permission - and most entities will never give permission. You may be risking a lawsuit if you are caught.

Dave :)

Last edited:
but if you really want to, I think you can make your logo with FAA in it, and make some slight changes, with your own design, and you be ok. because I do or have seem other people on the internet using similar logos.

but if you really want to, I think you can make your logo with FAA in it, and make some slight changes, with your own design, and you be ok. because I do or have seem other people on the internet using similar logos.
Borrowing the FAA logo or implying that the FAA endorses a particular pilot or service provider isn't going to be kosher.
More than 100000 Part 107 certificates have been issued and the FAA doesn't endorse any of the flyers who have them.

About all the OP could do is to say I have my Part 107 (just like all the others do).
It's not a point to differentiate from other drone businesses.

Agree

After 30 years in marketing and advertising, almost weekly I am faced with this question. A logo is considered a Trademark and I know no business, non-profit or government entity that will allow you to use their logo without their previous permission - and most entities will never give permission. You may be risking a lawsuit if you are caught.

Dave :)
Copyright laws are strictly enforced. I once found a picture of the Space Needle thinking I found it on the internet, must be okay to use it. Months later, I received a bill from the photo’s “owner” demanding $300 for it’s use. When I ignored it, the next letter was from their attorney. No fun.

If you are Part 107 certified already, then the logo would NOT be of any beneficial edge as all Part 107's are certified.
That is something any respectable prospect should ask to check. Hence, keep your card with you.
Now, food for thought . . .
CoW's
CoAs
List them!!!
Build a Portfolio, include your training, mission statements, accomplishments, recommendations, certificates, photos from previous jobs, etc, etc. Do NOT lists specific costs, as each and every job is different. Maybe something such as "Zip Line videos starting at $###." or "Bear wrestling in the forest (payment in advance) starting at $###."

Just so you know, there was a man recently that had to wrestle a mountain lion, albeit 70 pounds, recently near Ft. Collins, CO. He was hiking and got torn up pretty bad but ended up killing the cat, bloody as all hell, but still walked out seeking help. Now that would have been a video!

I've always found this interest in using FAA symbology as an extreme form of "look at me now" insecurity.
Goofy and ridiculous vests. FAA logos etc.
I've never seen an airplane pilot do such a thing, or even consider it.
Just an interesting sidebar to drone operators.

Borrowing the FAA logo or implying that the FAA endorses a particular pilot or service provider isn't going to be kosher.
More than 100000 Part 107 certificates have been issued and the FAA doesn't endorse any of the flyers who have them.

About all the OP could do is to say I have my Part 107 (just like all the others do).
It's not a point to differentiate from other drone businesses.

You mean like this?

1549495037242.png

A simple google search - or any time spent on forums like this or drones - especially those prep courses that imply FAA endorsement.

The OP makes a great point and I was curious and the information contained in the replies - along with a few google searches of my own - have enlightened me. I am sure the FAA has better things to do but a business that sells itself on being ethical and professional might not want to do something that may not be so ethical.

I mean no animus toward the agency that belongs to the above logo but it was the first I came across.

those Cafe Press things are just as dumb as the badges people wear on a chain that say "CCW Holder" as if they are going to be kicking in doors

R
Copyright laws are strictly enforced. I once found a picture of the Space Needle thinking I found it on the internet, must be okay to use it. Months later, I received a bill from the photo’s “owner” demanding $300 for it’s use. When I ignored it, the next letter was from their attorney. No fun.
Did you ignore that too? Just curious

If you are an FAA certified drone pilot...seems you could easily make that known with your own logo. I had a guy on ebay make me a logo for 30 bucks with "unlimited" (his ad) rehashes until I was satisfied. I knew pretty much what I wanted just didn't have the skill to make it happen... we pulled it off the 3rd try. Maybe a quick search and see if something like that is still out there.

I would agree with most of the others here that using it by its self would not be a good idea. How about posting an image of your sUAV certificate? It has the logo as well as your registration info. I'm not sure how the logo will set you apart but it's just a thought.

Although most of the replies on here are on the money, there is one thing that you all are over looking about using the logo on anything and that is great at alleviating the stigma
associated with the whole drone industry in general these days. I have been flying for 3 years and have been part 107 from the beginning and though I have never been harassed I have had my share of people and police asking questions, but since having "FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT" on the back of a vest which I wear I very rarely get disturbed. I do not wear it to "show off" just simply to ward off any potential aggravating situations arising.
So even for all of you guys against using the logo or anything with FAA included I personally think it is a good thing. I do however agree about using it as an advertising tool is not a good Idea as the FAA clearly says they do NOT endorse any company or individual. Also the last post is another thing I do. I have a plastic clear window in my vest and put a copy of my part 107 card into it.

Although most of the replies on here are on the money, there is one thing that you all are over looking about using the logo on anything and that is great at alleviating the stigma
associated with the whole drone industry in general these days. I have been flying for 3 years and have been part 107 from the beginning and though I have never been harassed I have had my share of people and police asking questions, but since having "FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT" on the back of a vest which I wear I very rarely get disturbed. I do not wear it to "show off" just simply to ward off any potential aggravating situations arising.
So even for all of you guys against using the logo or anything with FAA included I personally think it is a good thing. I do however agree about using it as an advertising tool is not a good Idea as the FAA clearly says they do NOT endorse any company or individual. Also the last post is another thing I do. I have a plastic clear window in my vest and put a copy of my part 107 card into it.

Same thing here. Once I started wearing the vest I rarely get bothered by anyone. Without it and I get bugged all the time.

I agree with you 100%

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RWShepard