DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using 5.8 GHz / Video tech in theatre

Frankenpunk

Reactions
I would like to put cameras on performers in theatre and have the videos live-fed wirelessly to a projector, possibly with a video switching device.
My research has directed me here - to the world of drones. I'm looking to buy some equipment.
We have no need for an audio feed. And ideally, there is minimal/no latency in the image projection.
My reading has suggested that if I can keep the video as analog (i.e. - use S-video or Component Video, and avoid HDMI) that latency will be minimized.
Is there a kit I can buy? I'm finding lots of parts, such as cameras, 5.8 GHz rx and tx, batteries, and so on, but there are so many specs that I'm unsure it will all work together. I'm looking for advice!

Maybe an Osmo. Check it out at the DJI store website to be sure and to price refurb, which get warranty as if new. Then check the classified ads here for used

Maybe an Osmo. Check it out at the DJI store website to be sure and to price refurb, which get warranty as if new. Then check the classified ads here for used
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The Osmo looks very cool, but I'm looking for a small, discrete camera that can be integrated into a costume and wirelessly projected in real time with minimal lag. So I'm interested in what you all in the FPV community might recommend, as I'm a total noob.

So I'm interested in what you all in the FPV community might recommend
Well, you might encounter some minor or major problems on your journey to a working product ...
What you need is:
- a small, high quality camara attached to/in an actors costume.
- a wireless, high quality (preferrably HDMI), latency free transmitter somewhere hidden in the costume
- a power source
- wiring in the costume to connect the stuff together.

- at the receiving end one or multiple wireless receivers to feed the HDMI signal into a switcher.

Let aside the cost here a few products which might help you:
Small camera
small HDMI transmitter / receiver
For the power required on the actors side, any 3S Lipo can be used. Amazon
Cables might come with some of the products mentioned above, so i am not putting them here in the list.

Thanks for the breakdown and linking to specific products. Very helpful.
I was a little surprised at the prices of your recommendations, since I had been seeing so much that's in the $25 - $200 range for cameras and transmitters. I can see that they are top of the line.
Would you expect too many problems from a transmitter such as this or a camera such as this? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for the breakdown and linking to specific products. Very helpful.
I was a little surprised at the prices of your recommendations, since I had been seeing so much that's in the $25 - $200 range for cameras
The products you linked are Analog devices. By no means they are high quality in transmission terms.
You were talking about theatre use, so i assumed that you are in a commercial environment. Hence my recommendations.

The products you linked are Analog devices. By no means they are high quality in transmission terms.
You were talking about theatre use, so i assumed that you are in a commercial environment. Hence my recommendations.
I don't know enough to know the practical differences between the quality and capabilities. I thought that analog devices would reduce latency. Honestly, I have no experience with this niche equipment and I don't know the effects of many of the variables I see between products. Before we want to invest in totally reliable equipment, we want to explore the technology in the theatre. We're not ready to spend $2000, but we are ready to spend $600. Is there a middle ground?

I would like to put cameras on performers in theatre and have the videos live-fed wirelessly to a projector, possibly with a video switching device.
My research has directed me here - to the world of drones. I'm looking to buy some equipment.
We have no need for an audio feed. And ideally, there is minimal/no latency in the image projection.
My reading has suggested that if I can keep the video as analog (i.e. - use S-video or Component Video, and avoid HDMI) that latency will be minimized.
Is there a kit I can buy? I'm finding lots of parts, such as cameras, 5.8 GHz rx and tx, batteries, and so on, but there are so many specs that I'm unsure it will all work together. I'm looking for advice!

Assuming you are going to need an HD signal to have it look good on a large screen, 1080p or 1080i, HDMI does have some latency, but if you are in a large venue with a lot of people it may take a fraction of a second for the sound to reach the rear as well. I used to record live events with multiple cameras and produce DVDs, and HD video on flash drives during and after the events. I used Black Magic switchers (stand alone) and Black magic input boards on a dedicated PC to switch and handle multiple video and audio sources. The software allows inserting delays in audio/video to maintain sync. Had a couple robot cameras with multiple preset zoom/pan/tilt/zoom settings and two manned cameras. Sony makes a small action cam with wireless capability and image stabilization. You are definitely going to need image stabilization on anything attached to a moving person.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDRAS30...ny+action+cam&qid=1550584628&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I appreciate the link. I'm ready to buy that Sony HDR-AS300, but I can't seem to figure out how I would wirelessly live feed it to a projector... Am I missing something?

There are Android tablet and phones that can output HDMI. Or use Chromecast or similar.
This doesn't make sense to me. If I use Chromecast, that would require connecting to WiFi on a LAN, but the phone will already be connected to the camera's WiFi to see the preview.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair