Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a Drone to Spy on People!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4294835f387f5eeb82329c76570e8c56.jpg

Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Something to note... first it doesn't sound like there was anything illegal about what happened. Anyone can photo or film anything that can be seen from a public space or ones own property (such as an adjacent property) Drones flying in the air are considered public space. The guys hottub is viewable from public space and likely also from adjacent properties. So while it may be rude, it wasn't illegal. A guy could stand on an adjacent property and take pictures of the hot tub with a 200mm lense which would also be legal. Again, rude, but not illegal.

The exception here would be if the hot tub or patio area back there was surrounded by high fences thus creating seclusion and creating a reasonable expectation of privacy, which it sounds like it is not.

Someone can stand on a public street or public area and take pictures of you or your yard or your house and it's perfectly legal.

So as to how to handle the situation you can try to talk to the drone operator, but you unlikely have any legal recourse.

On the other note, attacking a drone by shooting it down etc is in fact a crime. One that the FAA can even pursue as a federal crime if they so wish. A guy recently had his inspire 2 shot at 3 times by a duck hunter. The hunter has been charged by local authority and the FAA is reviewing possible charges as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: LakeTravis
Discharging a fire arm into the air is dangerous. Duh. The bullet (or shotgun shot) is going to land somewhere. That's why it's totally illegal in city limits and populated areas. Doesn't matter if a drone is invading your privacy. Don't shoot into the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: recon1172
This smells Kardashian.. Robs self to get media attention.
There are arsonist that volunteer for the brigade to get the hero-feeling.
There was an incident with some guy using his own drone to bring up privacy issues.
The OP is probably trolling us with his own drone.

Reactions: Airtex
Your neighbors have gotta be careful though. First of all these low level hovers are often exaggerated. But even if accurate and I might agree with their impulse, the FAA takes a dim view on shooting down an "aircraft". Even though they haven't aggressively pursued cases yet, they are coming under pressure from the commercial UAV guys to prosecute.

It's a felony offense to shoot down a drone by the way,,, even if he did what he did with a voyeuristic reason but he could have charges brought against him for doing it that's for sure! Either way yeah it brings nothing but trouble for the rest of us which stinks!!! No doubt! The only way I can logically see to put all other pilots looking good in the public eye would be for another pilot to be the one to say/do something the reason being is it would send a clear statement that the other 99% of us do not condone this type of activity!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Dont get cops involved cuz they have no business in the matter til its far beyond that point imo anyway. I hate how peeps run to the pig like its a noble animal... its not

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm pretty noble.

Honestly, I would have crushed it. Stick, pellet gun, rock, I would have brought it down and had a new drone.

Confront him later? Not unless I was completely sure it was him. Remember, if you roll up to my house threatening that is a bigger trespass than the drone was... the visit could result in unintended consequences for you.

Just for the record, as a UAV enthusiast (OK, addict) for many years. It wouldn't bother me in the least to be observed. For one, I know that the zoom on most drones is mediocre at best, and you really can't see that much anyway. All the windows on the back of my place face the lake and I very rarely close them, except for in the master, but that's only so I the sun doesn't blast in when I'm sleeping in. I'm an old fart with an attractive, basically hot (no, not Internet SUPER hot) younger (by 18 years) girlfriend and if people want to watch us--well, let them look. We mostly save the kinky good stuff for inside anyway.

I'm pretty noble.

Honestly, I would have crushed it. Stick, pellet gun, rock, I would have brought it down and had a new drone.

Confront him later? Not unless I was completely sure it was him. Remember, if you roll up to my house threatening that is a bigger trespass than the drone was... the visit could result in unintended consequences for you.

So, you're more worried about trespassing, a civil forfeiture, but you're ok with committing a possible felony by taking the drone down?

Just for the record, as a UAV enthusiast (OK, addict) for many years. It wouldn't bother me in the least to be observed. For one, I know that the zoom on most drones is mediocre at best, and you really can't see that much anyway. All the windows on the back of my place face the lake and I very rarely close them, except for in the master, but that's only so I the sun doesn't blast in when I'm sleeping in. I'm an old fart with an attractive, basically hot (no, not Internet SUPER hot) younger (by 18 years) girlfriend and if people want to watch us--well, let them look. We mostly save the kinky good stuff for inside anyway.
I'd subscribe to your youtube channel. :p :p

Just for giggles and curiosity one day I took my Phantom 3 and flew to within about 3 feet of a window at my home in daylight. The glare from the glass made it nearly impossible to see inside and the noise from the drone was clearly audible from inside the house.

Depending how close and the situation, I'd try a garden hose, slingshot, or just throwing something at it like sticks or something. Anything hits the props they'll either shatter or the operator will have nothing but Jell-O !
vsk

For one, I know that the zoom on most drones is mediocre at best, and you really can't see that much anyway.
Exactly. Most of these drones are so wide angle you have to be very close to see much. As in 20 feet away or closer. But people don't realize that. They don't realize that to a drone that's 50 feet away, they look like a little ant.

Edit: I do have a heavy lift drone (m600) that can and does carry a DSLR with a zoom lens, but it's a very large drone and as good as it is it can still be a challenge to get a stable shot zoomed in much at all.

Reactions: LakeTravis
So, you're more worried about trespassing, a civil forfeiture, but you're ok with committing a possible felony by taking the drone down?

No I'm not worried about anything... the person trespassing should be worried about his/her trespass. I wouldn't be worried about a thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

committing a possible felony by taking the drone down?

Hahahaha... good luck with that.

Yep a drone flown at my eye level over my property would be mine and no I wouldn't be at all worried about smacking it down with a broom, football or anything else I could reach to do it.

In this incident "eye level" is a bit misleading as we saw the hot tub was up on an elevated area. And regardless, it isn't trespassing according to the law, you know that right? And whether it's eye level or 200 feet above you, a felony is a felony. But by all means, please don't let that stop you. ;)

In this incident "eye level" is a bit misleading as we saw the hot tub was up on an elevated area. And regardless, it isn't trespassing according to the law, you know that right? And whether it's eye level or 200 feet above you, a felony is a felony. But by all means, please don't let that stop you. ;)

Well I wasn't speaking about the drone trespassing... in this hypothetical scenario I was talking about the goodie-two-shoes coming up to my door to preach.

In the scenario presented the drone was eye level.. in that scenario I would bring it down. And of course I will do exactly what I want.. lol.. I never asked you or anyone else permission in the first place. Thanks for giving me permission though. Kick rocks... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR