DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using a Drone to Spy on People!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeTravis

Reactions
I am curious to know what some of you think I (or my neighbor) should do--IF anything, about the following. I got a call from a neighbor and friend of mine who lives pretty close by. He said he and his wife were soaking in the spa off their back porch last night around 10PM. Obviously well after dark. He said he heard a noise and looked up and saw four green and red lights, probably some Phantom, not too high up, but "up there".... he said it turned a few times, then moved closer to the spa and descended so that (according to him) it was just about eye level and hovered there for a good 8-10 minutes, then took off high and away... possibly RTH from the sound of things. He was pretty sure which direction it went and then this morning, he mentioned it to his next door neighbor--Greg. Greg was almost positive he knew which house it came from because he had seen someone over there flying the drone. The house is across a small cove on the lake and is in the direction the drone flew away.

I do NOT want the bozo doing this to make people in my community paranoid about drones. I know the local small town police staff very well and wouldn't hesitate for a moment to have them go talk to the folks--nicely of course. But wanted to know--what do you all think?

Sure, guys like this are the reason the public has a generally negative attitude and constantly threaten to shoot them down, and I can't really blame them. If I knew who it was, I might be inclined to have a conversation with him prior to the police finding him. If not, he might eventually get karma from a baseball bat or shotgun or from the police visit, as peeping, or blatant surveillance is a crime regardless of what tool you use.

Last edited:
Sure, guys like this are the reason the public has a generally negative attitude and constantly threaten to shoot them down, and I can't really blame them. If I knew who it was, I might be inclined to have a conversation with him prior to the police finding him. If not he might eventually get karma as peeping, or blatant surveillance is a crime regardless of what tool you use.
Thanks, that's the kind of input I was looking for. My neighbor actually DID ask if he was within his rights if he shot it down with a shotgun. I told him I thought he'd get in trouble for discharging the gun in city limits, but I'm not an attorney. However, as most Texans know, your land is pretty sacred under the law.

Well if you're looking for input, I think you should mind your own business. The story sounds like complete BS. Eye level my a$$! I'd be the one that was pissed if you came knocking at my door lecturing me.

Thanks, that's the kind of input I was looking for. My neighbor actually DID ask if he was within his rights if he shot it down with a shotgun. I told him I thought he'd get in trouble for discharging the gun in city limits, but I'm not an attorney. However, as most Texans know, your land is pretty sacred under the law.
Your neighbors have gotta be careful though. First of all these low level hovers are often exaggerated. But even if accurate and I might agree with their impulse, the FAA takes a dim view on shooting down an "aircraft". Even though they haven't aggressively pursued cases yet, they are coming under pressure from the commercial UAV guys to prosecute.

I am curious to know what some of you think I (or my neighbor) should do--IF anything, about the following. I got a call from a neighbor and friend of mine who lives pretty close by. He said he and his wife were soaking in the spa off their back porch last night around 10PM. Obviously well after dark. He said he heard a noise and looked up and saw four green and red lights, probably some Phantom, not too high up, but "up there".... he said it turned a few times, then moved closer to the spa and descended so that (according to him) it was just about eye level and hovered there for a good 8-10 minutes, then took off high and away... possibly RTH from the sound of things. He was pretty sure which direction it went and then this morning, he mentioned it to his next door neighbor--Greg. Greg was almost positive he knew which house it came from because he had seen someone over there flying the drone. The house is across a small cove on the lake and is in the direction the drone flew away.

I do NOT want the bozo doing this to make people in my community paranoid about drones. I know the local small town police staff very well and wouldn't hesitate for a moment to have them go talk to the folks--nicely of course. But wanted to know--what do you all think?
Hard to prove. I would just ask your neighbor to call you right away if it happens again, maybe you could better assess where the drone goes.

You don't want to get into a confrontation like you would if were DroningOn and without any proof it would not be wise. If you were to approach the suspect I think I would just make conversation about your mutual hobby and at some point just drop a comment about the spying incident. Maybe if it is him it will prevent him from doing again, at least in your neighborhood, if it isn't, no harm done.

Last edited:
Well if you're looking for input, I think you should mind your own business. The story sounds like complete BS. Eye level my a$$! I'd be the one that was pissed if you came knocking at my door lecturing me.

Geez... not quite the kind of feedback I expected, more of an incorrect snap judgement. I have no doubt you would be the one that was pissed if someone came and told you that you violating UAV rules, flying well after dark right over someone else's property....

But, mind my own business??? I'm part 107 certified and flying drones in my community IS PART OF MY BUSINESS... I'm semi retired, but I still do a little real estate work and take photos and videos for myself and other agents and people seem to like aerial photos. Not to mention, I charge them several hundred for an aerial shoot... more for video. Nice bit of cash for the time I invest.

First of all, as you can see in the picture, the spa is built up to the level of the deck, at least 8-10 feet up in the air. Not only that, but the the land drops off sharply toward the water a couple feet from the capture pool of the spa. I have no doubt it could be at eye level at all. My friend is a retired anesthesiologist, mild mannered and not prone to BS in any way. I've known him for at least 15 years--very straight shooter, no pun intended.

IMG_2113.jpg

Your neighbors have gotta be careful though. First of all these low level hovers are often exaggerated. But even if accurate and I might agree with their impulse, the FAA takes a dim view on shooting down an "aircraft". Even though they haven't aggressively pursued cases yet, they are coming under pressure from the commercial UAV guys to prosecute.

That's more or less what I told him, but I do think the biggest liability, at least in current times, is discharging a firearm in the city limits... it's a definite no-no

Reactions: IronManMC
Hard to prove. I would just ask your neighbor to call you right away if it happens again, maybe you could better assess where the drone goes.

You don't want to get into a confrontation like you would if were DroningOn and without any proof it would not be wise. If you were to approach the suspect I think I would just make conversation about your mutual hobby and at some point just drop a comment about the spying incident. Maybe if it is him it will prevent him from doing again, at least in your neighborhood, if it isn't, no harm done.
Thanks, and well put. The only drawback to having him call me is that they don't live here full time. The live outside of Houston and the house nearby is one of several vacation homes... they have it rough... Montana, Costa Rica, Cabo, France and here... he made most of his real estate money buying and selling homes and large pieces of land... not as a doctor. Pretty smart guy on top of being one of the nicest people I know.

Reactions: IronManMC
You can discharge a BB gun without any problems. I am pretty sure 10 pumps on the old Daisy 880 is gonna do some damage. Or even better keep a paintball gun handy.....frozen paintballs would take a drone down. I don't care who you are, if you are flying a drone in my back yard without my permission, I will do whatever I want to your done. if you want it back, you are gonna have to come knock on my door to get it....and that's when things would get interesting.

I am rarely on the side of drone haters or weapon fanatics but if the report is honest i would have taken the drone down if i had been able to (not likely, not owning a firearm) but if it was at eye level a good old stick could've done the job even without too much damage to the quad...

Ender

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabast
There is now legal precedent that allows you to shoot down a drone that is above your property. Of course as some of you mentioned...where you shoot and the safety involved with that matters. That being said, you can get a drone gun that shoots out a net or jams the frequency causing it to land on spot.

Reactions: insainflow
The problem is that there are several nuts that flip out and think that every drone operator is spying on them. I'm sure tech will be available to consumers allowing them to jam RC aircraft signals.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I'm sure tech will be available to consumers allowing them to jam RC aircraft signals.

Technology is already there. Several "drone guns" are out there. Problem is, at least in the USA, it's not legal to jam/overpower radio communications for pretty much any reason. Quite a few cases have gone through the courts when movie theaters wanted to jam cellphone reception.

There is now legal precedent that allows you to shoot down a drone that is above your property. Of course as some of you mentioned...where you shoot and the safety involved with that matters. That being said, you can get a drone gun that shoots out a net or jams the frequency causing it to land on spot.
Not true Zack. The one case that went to trial was indeed thrown out, and the shooter got off, but there are several being investigated with potential action by the FAA. It is still a felony to shoot one down, just that the FAA is taking a very hands off approach for the time being.

I would report anyone doing this. Lets keep our hobby clean of freaks.

isn't operating a drone after civil twilight illegal?

i also have a house on lake travis at waters edge up on a cliff about 150ft above the water.
we have had a couple of drone incidents where they come along the cliff and hover at eye level right in our backyard.
we also have tour helicopters make passes but they don't operate at night and don't sit there and hover in or over my backyard.
the helicopters can be annoying on weekends, the drones are invading my privacy when they sit and hover that close to my backyard.

Reactions: Helo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM