DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using copyrighted music

Rojillio Santoro

Reactions
I tried several web sites for downloading public domain stuff, but the music clips are only a few seconds.. Not very useful as audio tracks for my drone videos, so I've been using mp3s purchased from Amazo. I'd like to post some of my videos here or YouTube, but afraid I might get sued. I'm not interested in using these videos commercially. I'd just like to get some feedback. For noncommercial use I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle and expense of licensing. Alternatively is there somewhere I can get complete uncopyrighted music. Even the most beautiful video clips are rather boring without music.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I know this is just one guy’s music but have you looked into Moby? His entire collection can be found here:

Watch the video, it’s pretty cool.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
There’s lots of free music sources quoted here by other members:

And here:

Also there’s another member I’m searching for right now that he posted about his own free music, but I can’t find it yet. I really liked his stuff too. Will post it when I find it.

Reactions: RTKD
I actually had to research this for one of my videos and discovered that YouTube actually screens uploaded videos for copyrighted material. If it detects content that the owner did not give permission to use then YouTube will disable the video from public view. It will give you the option in the YouTube editor to mute that part out. Any videos that does have copyright material may still be accepted but it will be demonetized. I always give credit to the music owner in my ending credits anyways. You can read all about this here: Copyright - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
There is a large library of free music on the utube web site. Also in the video thread here you will find a latge library by a member.

is there somewhere I can get complete uncopyrighted music
Here are some places to download royalty free music for your drone videos:

You Tube had gotten lenient over the years when it comes to copyrighted music.
If you use copyrighted music, there is a good chance the copyright holder will allow the piece to be used BUT you cannot monetize the video.
The copyright holder gets the revenue generated by ads on the video.
I have been uploading videos for 4.5 years now and never got a copyright strike.
I have been blocked in 248 countries but then I just change the track.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - "The Jedi Steps"
Luke Bryan - "Harvest Time"
Colin Hay - "Overkill"

I’m some cases, where the music is free, the composer will request that you list their name & the website.

I’m some cases, where the music is free, the composer will request that you list their name & the website.

Which YouTube does for you automatically in greater detail.
Click the "Show More" under the YouTube description.

There is a lot of stuff available on the youtube audio section. All royalty free for use.

Reactions: bushie
Sorry to resurrect an older threat, but I've been wondering about this myself. How many of you are like the poster above (PMshop) and just use whatever music you want, regardless of if it's copyrighted? I know there's a lot of free stuff out there, but TBH, some of isn't that great. For example, there's free cinematic music, but it's obviously not on the same level as, say, Hans Zimmer. BTW, I'm just talking about making videos and sharing them for entertainment and personal enjoyment, not commercially.

I've also done what the OP has (bought a track off Amazon or where ever, used it in a video, and given credit to the composer). I know technically, this probably isn't a legit thing to do, but it also seems like one of those things where it's not really enforced.

Also, I guess maybe this is OK on youtube at least? This is what happened when I uploaded a recent video...Screenshot 2021-01-11 004343.jpg

Music copyright is taken very seriously. You wouldn’t believe the records that have to be kept right down to the second in the TV and radio industry. And then there is the cost involved of the record keeping, requests for use, handling invoices and making payments.

Music copyright is taken very seriously. You wouldn’t believe the records that have to be kept right down to the second in the TV and radio industry. And then there is the cost involved of the record keeping, requests for use, handling invoices and making payments.
SkyeHigh is correct in saying that music copyright is taken very seriously. My strong advice to anyone is to always use music lawfully (unless you are making music compilations for your own listening at home or in the car etc). As has been pointed out above, there are lots of good sources. Whereas there are some excellent tracks available free-of-charge, there are many more available for a relatively small or modest fee - and the difference in recording quality and composition is noticeable. That said, if you use good music, also make sure that your flying/filming skills, plus editing skills, are equally as good. Be tough on yourself before you go posting anything on YouTube or wherever - because, this way, you'll likely rapidly learn and get better. The same advice is equally applicable (and more commonly voiced) with regards to stills photography. You'll get higher satisfaction in doing something well, whatever it is, whether as a job or for leisure.

Thanks for the replies. In the case of Youtube, it seems like they are OK with this type of thing, although I guess it may depend on the copyright owner. I'm assuming they have some sort of arrangement worked out with Youtube and the various companies? I can't monetize, they (the copyright holder) gets any ad revenue and the video can remain on the site. This sounds like a fair deal to me, but then again, I know something sounding fair does not affect the legality of it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom