DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using DJI Mavic to analyze my vineyard

Thor Hansen

Reactions
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a vineyard in Italy, and I've read that there are sensors that can be mounted to drones and software which can be used to analyze the development of crops and vines, to get early warning signs of stressed plants etc.

I've read about Sentera who uses a software called Fieldagent, and they have sensors which can be mounted to Mavic. FieldAgent Platform | Agriculture Software | Sentera
However, this requires the drone to be sent to them, and it also voids the warranty. Does anyone know of a more DYI way to do this, mounting the sensor to for example a Gopro mount on the Mavic?

The Fieldagent software seems nice, as you just outline the areas of the vineyard and a flightpath is automatically set based on overlays etc. It's fully autonomous. And then it stitches the images together for analysis after the flight is done. So, I'm fine with using the software, but I'm looking for something less invasive and cheaper than what Sentera is offering.

Any ideas?

Regards
Thor

If you did do a GoPro mount type setup on the Mavic, flight time would be dramatically decreased (weight).
You could let them do it, and like you said warranty voided. cost?
If you did want to do it yourself, yes, you could. I would start with what type of sensing abilities you want to do, etc.
Then you can build yourself a "Hex" UAV. 6 motors. that way, you still have some control if you lose a motor/esc. Heavier lift capabilities, more stable in wind (up to a point), mount a # axis gimbal for your cameras/sensors etc.
Maybe $1000.00 cost for the platform depending on components. That's what I did/have, my Savvy Mavvy, and my Tarot 680 Pro Hex streched to 840mm heavylift. Go Pro and I/R cameras.

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a vineyard in Italy, and I've read that there are sensors that can be mounted to drones and software which can be used to analyze the development of crops and vines, to get early warning signs of stressed plants etc.

I've read about Sentera who uses a software called Fieldagent, and they have sensors which can be mounted to Mavic. FieldAgent Platform | Agriculture Software | Sentera
However, this requires the drone to be sent to them, and it also voids the warranty. Does anyone know of a more DYI way to do this, mounting the sensor to for example a Gopro mount on the Mavic?

The Fieldagent software seems nice, as you just outline the areas of the vineyard and a flightpath is automatically set based on overlays etc. It's fully autonomous. And then it stitches the images together for analysis after the flight is done. So, I'm fine with using the software, but I'm looking for something less invasive and cheaper than what Sentera is offering.

Any ideas?

Regards
Thor
You might check out these guys
DJI Mavic Survey3 Bundle

If you did do a GoPro mount type setup on the Mavic, flight time would be dramatically decreased (weight).
You could let them do it, and like you said warranty voided. cost?
If you did want to do it yourself, yes, you could. I would start with what type of sensing abilities you want to do, etc.
Then you can build yourself a "Hex" UAV. 6 motors. that way, you still have some control if you lose a motor/esc. Heavier lift capabilities, more stable in wind (up to a point), mount a # axis gimbal for your cameras/sensors etc.
Maybe $1000.00 cost for the platform depending on components. That's what I did/have, my Savvy Mavvy, and my Tarot 680 Pro Hex streched to 840mm heavylift. Go Pro and I/R cameras.

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think this is too complicated for me. Reduced flight time is fine, as for the most part I can do small areas of the vineyards at a time, and the software typically also allows to pause and come back to replace batteries.

Regards
Thor

You'll want to use NDVI to monitor plant health. There are only a few options for the mavic, i wouldn't worry about the warranty. Fixing a MP is pretty easy with the right parts. I went to school for GIS, it would help to brush up on the fundamentals of remote sensing and the types of tech.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998