DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

using Mavic as a "stand alone" aerial camera?

jimbobauer

Reactions
Hello, I am curious about using the Mavic as a stand alone aerial camera; meaning: I would like to mount the Mavic on "something else" and have it take photos at pre-determined coordinates. I had thought about using something like the DroneDeploy mapping app but, I am concerned about the app not allowing this to work with the Mavic in an non-flying mode (no props and/or folded). Has anyone else tried anything like this? I have a Mavic Pro Platinum ... Thank you for your time.

I have used DroneDeploy with my Mavic, so you should try that. I also think that you would have more luck mounting a GoPro on your "other" aircraft instead of an entire Mavic.

I have used DroneDeploy with my Mavic, so you should try that. I also think that you would have more luck mounting a GoPro on your "other" aircraft instead of an entire Mavic.

Thank you dbyantis! I have used DroneDeply as well and think it is great; I have used it only as it was intended so far though. My reasoning for wanting to use the whole Mavic (as opposed to just a GoPro) was to have access to the on-board gimbal, IMU and GPS to stabilize and geo-reference the photos.

Man, more details are needed. I cannot speak for DroneDeploy but Litchi waypoints would not work for this, since it controls the camera direction by flying.

Man, more details are needed. I cannot speak for DroneDeploy but Litchi waypoints would not work for this, since it controls the camera direction by flying.

Hi Mossiback, Thanks for your reply - I agree, my original post was a little light on detail (the details are still gelling in my brain)... basically, what I want to do, is make a "map" of a 20mi right of way... that is clearly too long for my Mavic so, I was thinking of mounting the Mavic to a different aircraft that could fly the 20mi and use the Mavic's camera / gimbal, GPS and IMU to collect the geo-tagged photos. I am looking for a way to control the camera; I can make a list of "waypoints" that will give me the desired overlap but, I am unclear on how to actually trigger the camera, based on position?, without the Mavic actually flying. Does that make more sense?

I don't know how you can do this without flying the Mavic. You could setup a few waypoint missions in Litchi with each mission using whatever percentage of battery you feel comfortable with. Each successive mission would start at the end of the previous one and they would collect pictures along the way. Of course you would need access to each landing spot and a nearby road so you can follow to watch the progress and cancel if necessary. Try to plan this for a calm day so wind direction and velocity will not affect flying time so much. It is a bit of a stretch and would require detailed planning but Litchi does have the ability for you to set it up on the computer before actually flying.

Reactions: jimbobauer
I don't know how you can do this without flying the Mavic. You could setup a few waypoint missions in Litchi with each mission using whatever percentage of battery you feel comfortable with. Each successive mission would start at the end of the previous one and they would collect pictures along the way. Of course you would need access to each landing spot and a nearby road so you can follow to watch the progress and cancel if necessary. Try to plan this for a calm day so wind direction and velocity will not affect flying time so much. It is a bit of a stretch and would require detailed planning but Litchi does have the ability for you to set it up on the computer before actually flying.

Thank you... I will keep this in mind. I was wanting to check out Litchi anyways :)

I assume that your desired output would be an orthophoto, so the best way to do this is with one of the apps like DroneDeploy. You will need appropriate overlap, etc. They have developed many extensions for the app and one happens to be Linear Mapping, which is designed specifically for your purpose.

I assume that your desired output would be an orthophoto, so the best way to do this is with one of the apps like DroneDeploy. You will need appropriate overlap, etc. They have developed many extensions for the app and one happens to be Linear Mapping, which is designed specifically for your purpose.

Thank you! I have a phone meeting scheduled with them tomorrow and, I will investigate this further. Great lead! Thanks again.

As a simple work around. Cart the Mavic along the your survey line, recording video with video caption on. Then any still grabs from the video could be matched to the Video Caption log which marks each second.
At least this method will nopt be thwarted by an app that expects the drone to be props spinning and in flight to work. Just power it on without props and press record.

Not knowing your background and if your 107 or not. Keep in mind that even if you use DroneDeploy and make a linier map in segments, don't forget checking airspace, NFZ's, possible interferences on the route, and obstacles on the route. Sounds like DroneDeploy would be your solution. Recording one leg at a time with distance of each leg dependent on terrain, weather, etc. Good luck with your project. Hope you post your finished project here to let us see your work.

As a simple work around. Cart the Mavic along the your survey line, recording video with video caption on. Then any still grabs from the video could be matched to the Video Caption log which marks each second.
At least this method will nopt be thwarted by an app that expects the drone to be props spinning and in flight to work. Just power it on without props and press record.

Thanks! that is an interesting work around for sure...

Not knowing your background and if your 107 or not. Keep in mind that even if you use DroneDeploy and make a linier map in segments, don't forget checking airspace, NFZ's, possible interferences on the route, and obstacles on the route. Sounds like DroneDeploy would be your solution. Recording one leg at a time with distance of each leg dependent on terrain, weather, etc. Good luck with your project. Hope you post your finished project here to let us see your work.

Thank you! Good advice :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS