DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using your drone in public

especially by explaining (after you land ), how sophisticated
these drones are today, and the built in safety features.
I sure agree with that ..I used to love to hand my Spark to anyone who was interested or even doubtful. I wouldn't be so fast to do that with the Air2 but I like to point out the features. That what attracted me!

Reactions: Oz9mm
I'm an editorial photographer, so I'm looking for photo ops, often with people. For instance, a farmer in a combine harvesting corn, or workers putting a new roof on a house. That said, I would not take off in a crowd of people or fly very near a crowd. I do find that people will want to ask about it, and I pretty much follow the advice given above. I don't want to be sexist, but I find that many men will say, "Oh, that's so cool!," while more women will say, "That's creepy." I even had that reaction from a good friend who makes her living by photographing other people.
This morning, I was photographing (from the ground) the first day of school where kindergarten students and parents were sitting at desks in a parking lot, socially distanced from each other. I would have gotten a better shot with my drone, but I knew that as soon as I sent it up, kids that age would focus on the drone and ignore the teacher.

I've had mostly positive responses, except for two.

"Is that a drone?"

"Yes it is, and the guy is right over there. Hey! Take our picture!"

A guy fishing in a boat complained, "It's mighty annoying having you flying that around my head while I'm trying to fish." I was never within a hundred ft of him. Looks like he had a good spot though. Saw him catch a fish.

"That's a drone? Wow. I might have to get me another hobby."

"SHOOT DOWN THAT DRONE! RICHARD! YOU GOT YOUR GUN, SHOOT DOWN THAT DRONE!"

The main thing I think is, don't be a #)$&.

I always land and take off out by myself somewhere. Often with nobody for miles.

Hi guys,

First time forum poster, hope you are all safe and well and apologies if this has been posted anywhere else on the forum.

I just wanted to get members opinions on the topic of how people feel generally when flying their drone in a public place.
Some background, I live in Sydney, Australia and am about 10 minutes from a beach in most directions so a lot of where I fly is beachfront and thus very public (most beaches in Sydney are filled with people pretty much all year round).

How do people feel when they go somewhere that is filled with the public and you setup and fly your drone - Ie - do you get weird looks, do you get asked to stay away form certain places, do you feel like your presence is unwanted, do you prefer finding somewhere quiet/secluded to take off and land, etc.

For me personally, I find it a bit not-fun to setup and fly with people around, i prefer to find a quiet secluded spot to take off and land to avoid any of the stares or thousands of questions i often get asked when someone sees me with it,

I would love to hear some other peoples experiences and thoughts.

If you want to see any of my photos, please see my instagram - Login • Instagram

Thanks all, stay safe.

Gear: DJI Mavic Air 2 (Previously owned Phantom 3, Mavic Pro)
Most people are crazy interested and ask questions. We should all always answer as best we can. It might be there only chance to hear the "TRUTH" about our hobby. Bad news stories have made women trully afraid of drones. Im always asked "how far can You zoom in?" and Im quick to show them my screen and tell them zoom lenses are big long heavy things , too heavy for Hobby Drones and only for Giant Hollywood drones more than 5 ft wide.

Your "Air Time" is not limited. unless youre working 7 days a week. Youll probably fly
3 times this week using multiple batteries like most of us. We have the obligation to show that these are not "spy" devices with big big zoom lenses, because they dont know. I heard a woman on the news not too long ago who was looking at some drones being flown over a mile away and asked what she thought. She replied, "I hope they cant see through my windows, Thats Scary".
We must show them our footage of the sunsets and waterfalls and forrests.

Reactions: Robert Droner
Let’s face it, I would think given all the bad press surrounding drone use, they may be considered an invasive species. There is an invasion of privacy stigma that has been brought on by 1. Pilots that push the limits and don’t use common sense about how and where to fly, and 2. A lack of education by the general public about what we do, whether we’re flying for fun and great images, or commercially. It’s up to us to use common sense and put ourselves in the uniformed public’s shoes and try to see what they see. I fly mostly out in the middle of nowhere for beautiful nature footage. But when I fly close to the people, I try to be respective of their space and when I can, educate them and sell them on the idea that using a drone is just another form of photography. We are all ambassadors of the drone pilot community, and it’s up to us to do it in a safe, non-threatening way when out in the public’s eye. Fly smart.

Reactions: Ramjam61
Good discussion. I fly over the beach all the time. Stay away from people is the key. Hover over or near a sunbather and you are a voyeur.

I usually fly over isolated beaches. However flew on a crowded beach last summer. I hovered over the surf lifesaving RIBs sitting on the send. Nice bright orange and lines in the sand. Great pic. There was a women sun bathing close by out of shot. I got mentioned in the local broadsheet Paper that week.Accused of perving at sunbathers. Ofcourse I was discrete so no one knew who I was. The unidentified drone pilot.

I have followed boats heading out to sea but from above and well behind so the engine blocks out my annoying sound. Stay away from fishers. They go there for the quiet. Surfers are a mixed bag. I have had some wave.
People say it’s all about drone hating. Visit a crowded beach with a DSLR and a very long lens and you will get some funny looks too. It’s about being sensitive to privacy.

I have had people walk up to me interested and I always show them what I am doing. If the mission is close and I have spare batteries I will land the drone and show them the photos etc.

Go well.

Good discussion. I fly over the beach all the time. Stay away from people is the key. Hover over or near a sunbather and you are a voyeur.

I usually fly over isolated beaches. However flew on a crowded beach last summer. I hovered over the surf lifesaving RIBs sitting on the send. Nice bright orange and lines in the sand. Great pic. There was a women sun bathing close by out of shot. I got mentioned in the local broadsheet Paper that week.Accused of perving at sunbathers. Ofcourse I was discrete so no one knew who I was. The unidentified drone pilot.

I have followed boats heading out to sea but from above and well behind so the engine blocks out my annoying sound. Stay away from fishers. They go there for the quiet. Surfers are a mixed bag. I have had some wave.
People say it’s all about drone hating. Visit a crowded beach with a DSLR and a very long lens and you will get some funny looks too. It’s about being sensitive to privacy.

I have had people walk up to me interested and I always show them what I am doing. If the mission is close and I have spare batteries I will land the drone and show them the photos etc.

Go well.

Of course you know, only pervs fly drones.

...most beaches in Sydney are filled with people pretty much all year round...
I think you might want to check the CASA regulations on flying around/near people.

Prefer to fly without a audience, to many distractions when people are present.

I hate flying my drones near ANYONE! I didn’t have a problem in 2015 when I started flying but over the last few years I have gotten enough “stink eyes “ from people but at the same time I always have someone who sees my drone and is interested in learning about it but All the negative attitudes I get from people almost gives me the feeling I’m breaking some kind of law When I’m not so I tend to stick to areas with little to no people unfortunately

I started flying drones as a hobby. It's turned into a business.
As I live in a vacation/beach town, I get a lot of work getting footage of people's boats, and fly off the beach a lot. I use a tent, cones, pilot vest, and explanatory signage.
I get a lot fewer weird looks and more questions.

Reactions: Tentoes
Hey, shout out from Barcelona. I, too, try to fly my MM where there are fewer people... although I've had more issues with dogs not on a leash. Their hearing is so much more acute, they'll zero in on my LZ and got nuts - and often, their owners will simply ignore them. I've had to relocate and hand-land a few times because of this.

FWIW, I find wearing a hi-vis jacket/waistcoat can sometimes avoid the general public approaching you whilst flying, because it gives you a more 'offical' look.
I once flew nearby/over a house (in an orbit...) The woman came out talking about privacy and she didn't want me filming her house. I explained I wasn't filming her house but the church spire next door to her. I even showed her my screen. She seemed fairly content and left me to it.
The interactions I've had with the general public have been positive. Most are just curious. Some may come and attempt to speak with you (which I'd suggest you land your craft first before getting into a full on conversation).
The best advice I can give - if you do get some upset person, just apologise, land your craft and move on. It's far easier than being agressive and/or abusive and then getting into some argument about rights/privacy blah blah. (Not that I'm suggesting you would).

I also prefer flying in a secluded area where there are no people around. This is also in case something happens with your drone in mid air, that way if it falls to the ground it will not hit anyone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian