DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Vermont Sunset

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Another thread caused me to dig up this image from last week's vacation with the kids. Just thought I'd share it on the showcase. [It's a reduced size Phantomrain shot with a DNG+jpg. ] About 60 seconds of adjustments for shadow detail in Photoshop. I don't recall if I had a gradient filter on the camera or not.

1625845865264.png

Another thread caused me to dig up this image from last week's vacation with the kids. Just thought I'd share it on the showcase. [It's a reduced size Phantomrain shot with a DNG+jpg. ] About 60 seconds of adjustments for shadow detail in Photoshop. I don't recall if I had a gradient filter on the camera or not.

View attachment 131677
Very lovely image. I have never used, nor do I own, a gradient drone filter. I do it all in Photoshop.Here is an example using gradient tool in Adobe Camera RASW (ACR) on lower portion.
I only worked on the lower half...did not mean to darken the clouds. I could spend more time to re-open the clouds.

Dale
Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 9.23.10 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-10 at 9.23.10 AM.jpg

Very lovely image. I have never used, nor do I own, a gradient drone filter. I do it all in Photoshop.Here is an example using gradient tool in Adobe Camera RASW (ACR) on lower portion.
I only worked on the lower half...did not mean to darken the clouds. I could spend more time to re-open the clouds.

Dale
View attachment 131712View attachment 131713
I like what you did. I should have spent more time on it. The only thing is that one has to be sparing on this sort of stuff to keep it from looking cartoonish. One retouching caveat that I've lived by all my career is that retouching should not be noticeable. However, a little more work on your version would indeed make a nice poster. I do like the open grass a lot.

View attachment 131677
It that Lake Champlain? , I lived nearby , in Williston outside Burlington 1993-94, Beautiful shot , greetings from Thailand

It that Lake Champlain? , I lived nearby , in Williston outside Burlington 1993-94, Beautiful shot , greetings from Thailand
Yep. Lake Champlain. My kids have been living in Charlotte since the beginning of the pandemic and just bought a house not too far from this point. I launched off their back porch which was 125ft AGL.

I like what you did. I should have spent more time on it. The only thing is that one has to be sparing on this sort of stuff to keep it from looking cartoonish. One retouching caveat that I've lived by all my career is that retouching should not be noticeable. However, a little more work on your version would indeed make a nice poster. I do like the open grass a lot.
Agree with you...it was a quickie.Hate cartoonish edits too!

Dale
View attachment 131712View attachment 131713
You shamed me Dale. You made me go back to the editing console, though I confess I was knee deep in a video project at the time and just taking a break from it. So here is my revised edition of the image. The larger version is for Phantomrain who likes large images :).
DJI_0496_RevisedEdited_SM.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0496_RevisedEdited.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 3
You shamed me Dale. You made me go back to the editing console, though I confess I was knee deep in a video project at the time and just taking a break from it. So here is my revised edition of the image. The larger version is for Phantomrain who likes large images :).
View attachment 131728
I did not mean to shame, and if I did I sincerely apologize. I LOVE this interchange of ideas! Where else can we ever do this type of "trade talk." This image, especially the enlarged one, is absolutely spectacular.

I DO have a single nit to pick. When I enlarged the image to full screen (27 inch MAC), the road pulled my eyes to the left. I know it is personal, and artistic choice, but that road just pulls my eyes to the left of the image instead of being drawn to the subject (sunset).

Perhaps either a bit of cropping, or cloning (to maintain the perspective ratio). It could be done in 30 seconds.

Here is the image with and without the road (removed with spot healing brush tool).

Your thoughts?

Dale
Road removed.jpgSunset with road.jpg

Last edited:
I did not mean to shame, and if I did I sincerely apologize. I LOVE this interchange of ideas! Where else can we ever do this type of "trade talk." This image, especially the enlarged one, is absolutely spectacular.

I DO have a single nit to pick. When I enlarged the image to full screen (27 inch MAC), the road pulled my eyes to the left. I know it is personal, and artistic choice, but that road just pulls my eyes to the left of the image instead of being drawn to the subject (sunset).

Perhaps either a bit of cropping, or cloning (to maintain the perspective ratio). It could be done in 30 seconds.

Here is the image with and without the road (removed with spot healing brush tool).

Your thoughts?

Dale
View attachment 131731View attachment 131732
I appreciate your thoughts and I did not intend the word "shame" literally but tongue in cheek. I should have used the word "inspired" or motivated. While I appreciate your comment about the road, I like the road because, mainly because at the moment of shutter release the intent was not a work of art, but a momento of the scenery from my kids' back porch. We'd spent the week there and I like the country feel and am not concerned that it competes a bit with the sunset. You'll noticed I stretched the image horizontally a bit for more expanse.

FWIW that upper right corner in the image is geofenced for no reason that I can ascertain. I did manage to get the short front in Burlington unlocked, but only the next day after discovering I was locked out of an area that again should not have been... after I missed my opportunity for what I wanted to shoot. I was fully aware of the location of Burlington's airport and should not have been locked out under 400ft AGL, especially with mountains in the area. My next drone may very well have to be an Autel. Too many issues with DJI's geofencing. I have never had luck unlocking on site.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wellington C Silveira