DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

vertical limit dji mavic pro 2

I fly in
Its there for a reason , most countries have lower limits the uk is 120m
I fly in the mountains there is absolutely nothing civilized for miles around. But yes just please stop flying drones 3 km in the air in Vancouver! Or else the hobby will die very soon!

Reactions: Mavic G
is there a way to over ride the dji 500m vertical limit?
Good question, when searching sides of mountains I often wish M2P could fly higher than 390 feet. They’re no chances of a collision with an airplane under these conditions, would like to fly higher when searching sides of mountains.

Paul

I can understand that some people will want to experiment and push the limit. they're not malicious people. Surly the gub'mint will make allowances for safe experimentation.

what ever we do in life these days is governed by laws rules a regulations, if i want to drive my car on the road i have to have insurance pay road fund tax an mot and follow the speed limits, i agree that a road that has a certain limit set for busy day time driving, would not perhaps require the same limit at 2am on a clear night with no traffic about, with regards to the risk involved from exceeding that limit but try telling that to the judge when you end up in court.Drones are becoming more and more regulated, and even if the rules seem unfair or restrictive in some situations,they are there and its up to us as flyers of drones to follow them as much as we can

Good question, when searching sides of mountains I often wish M2P could fly higher than 390 feet. They’re no chances of a collision with an airplane under these conditions, would like to fly higher when searching sides of mountains.

Paul

It can, much higher.

I think DJI put the hard limit of 500 M because the battery time used to get there and down again does not leave much for flying around, especially if high winds are encountered at that height.
well, it is not exactly true and has nothing to do with technical. a 4S lipo powered drone, at the comparable AUW and prop size should be capable doing 15m/s ascent speed consuming about of 25-30A. to descent it takes much less - 5-8A top. so, we have here a 3850 mAh lipo, if we want to burn 2800mAh at, say, 28A rate then we will have about of 6 minutes to do so, give or take, and at the 15m/s rate it should be almost 5km up in the sky.

now, my fastest racer does 40m/s and it burns 120A at doing it. so it can go, well, quite a bit up quite fast, until battery lasts.

can a mavic do 15m/s ascent? no clue. i saw somebody posting about settings for the smart mode up speed at 10, i left mine at 8, as it is more than enough for me. even with that it should be able to climb quite high, if needed.

i hope it will remain locked, as, in my observation, the amount of effort that is needed either to build a custom drone, or to hack, correctly, a commercial one presumes that person should possess sufficient amount of intellect to know what is safe to do and what is not. there are exceptions from the rule, of course, but, i think for most of people buying those drones at the store it stands correct.

Your Mavic has two altitude limits.
The default setting on the user-configurable Max Alt Limit is 400 feet - but you can change that.
The hard limit is 500 metres.

the limit by regulation is 120m above the ground... but if the ground is raising (hill or mountain) the limit from the take-off point raises with the ground... so flying over mountain which is 1000 meters high can end by a need of altitude of 1120 meters and still legal...
So i do not understand the 500meters limit from DJI neither...

Reactions: Gary Orr
Max altitude over my neighborhood. Wish it went higher also. Mostly All my neighbors want a copy too.
View attachment 62915

Oh, I think I see Mrs Stepford in the third cul-de-sac from the right. Oh, wait, there's another Mrs Stepford in each of the other cu-de-sacs!

(sorry, I could not resist)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J