DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Very cool..Queen Mary and Carnival Cruise ship side by side

I'd say that @kjonyou is correct. That area you flew through to the north of the dike around the ship is in controlled airspace with a 100' AGL ceiling if you have a Part 107 ticket and LAANC authorization for the flight.

Check the FAA's SUAS Facility Map at ArcGIS Web Application. That's slow to load and use, but the FAA's B4YOUFLY app also shows it.

The controlled airspace boundary extends south to the breakwater. It looks like you were legal when directly over the QM, but not on your approach to the area from the north. (Unless you were below 100' AGL with 107 and LAANC approval.)

The FLY app is wrong often enough that it's best not to rely solely on it. The FAA has the last word. I hope you don't get a letter like the one @zeusfl received a few days ago.

View attachment 141900
107 cert is not required to fly in controlled airspace, but you must have clearance either via LAANC or FAADroneZone.

The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. In this case, the max allowable altitude is 100 feet. So as long as you are within 100 feet of the ship (aka structure) you can go up the max of the height of the ship PLUS 100 feet.

The relevant rules under Part 107 are summarized within Section 107.51. This section is entitled “Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft” and contains a set of limits associated with speed, altitude, and visibility. Pertaining to altitude, item B of the Section states that:

“The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level unless the small unmanned aircraft is (1) flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure, and (2) does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit.”

The issue really is what the FAA considers a structure. THey do not define it. But I would guess a huge ocean liner docked would pass the muster. :)
I’m sorry this is class D airspace and requires a LAANC clearance to fly there. I just received an approval to fly there this morning with an absolute ceiling of 100 ft AGL. A request for 200 ft AGL is not approved! You can only fly here with ATC clearance and LAANC via Aloft or other app. You can’t go adding 400 ft over structures inside class D airspace.
1642172939486.png

Reactions: MS Coast
So, which is correct:

§ 107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.

or

Hobbyists do not follow Part 107 regulation. As a result, hobbyists cannot fly 400 feet over a structure,

or

In accordance with Title 14 CFR Part 107.41, your operation is authorized within the designated airspace and time frame constraints. Altitude limits are absolute values above ground level which shall not be added to the height of any structures.

So

My understanding FAA point out that even though as a hobbyist with a drone under 249g you still are required to fallow the part 107 rules in addition to your exemption from having to register.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

§ 107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure's immediate uppermost limit.
True if you have your 107 cert
False if you are recreational

Hobbyists do not follow Part 107 regulation. As a result, hobbyists cannot fly 400 feet over a structure,
Recreational flights are flown within an exemption from part 107 and those exemptions limit you to 400 feet AGL period. The exemptions for recreational flights are like flying within a bubble and as soon as you pierce the bubble you are flying under part 107.

In accordance with Title 14 CFR Part 107.41, your operation is authorized within the designated airspace and time frame constraints. Altitude limits are absolute values above ground level which shall not be added to the height of any structures.
True.
With LAANC clearance the values in the UAS Facilities Map are absolute AGL limits. Those with 107 certification can request altitudes higher than the map values through the FAADroneZone, but those heights will also be absolute AGL values.

My understanding FAA point out that even though as a hobbyist with a drone under 249g you still are required to fallow the part 107 rules in addition to your exemption from having to register.
False
If you are 107 certified and using a sub 250g sUAS for a 107 flight it has to be registered.
If you are flying recreationally you do not have to register, but you must fly under the Section 44809 exemption.

Reactions: kjonyou
So techincilly, you could fly on one side of the ship up to 400 and only 100 on the other? Or over the top?

So techincilly, you could fly on one side of the ship up to 400 and only 100 on the other? Or over the top?
That is correct and in the Class D airspace of the Long Beach Airport on the harbor side of HMS QM clearance is required to legally there.
750D8751-B5ED-47CC-A520-79928A52EF79.jpeg 2CFFF501-D8EA-4240-9CDC-05B184431DBD.jpeg
As shown by both AirMap and Aloft the Class D airspace extends inside the breakwater for the ship on the harbor side.

Contrary to the OP’s statement, clearance would have been required for at least the first part of the flight shown in the video, and limited to 100’ above the water.

It really nice and impressive to see 2 different generations of nice cruise ships Really nice. but be careful.
The other hit you can get from FAA is the fact you flew over the deck of the ship over people without letting them know you were flying. This is assuming you are flying a category 1 drone. If you are in category 2,3,4 you need the waiver, props guards, and remote ID in order to do that and still let them know.

I am not saying you don't have that. You may have it. Is just to let people know is required.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tydoan84