DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Very cool..Queen Mary and Carnival Cruise ship side by side

Wow, amazing to see the size difference older to newer liners.
An the Panorama is equal 3rd largest in the Carnival fleet, the larger 2 being 37% GT !

The GT of both ships are Panorama 134000t, and QM 81237t, so the Carnival ship around 65% larger tonnage.

Not going anywhere fast :)
Still looks well cared for though, probably open for tours ??

Obviously must be some sort of museum, anyone know the sub moored in same area (6:50) ?
Looks WWII era.

Nice flyovers at 2:35.
The Panorama looks almost deserted, just noted a few crew / workers in centre recessed area deck, hard to imagine it being in full service at the moment and almost all pax disembarked.

Panorama just getting ready for first post Covid-19 trip. Submarine is a Russian Foxtrot class named scorpion. It was just sold and is going to be removed. Queen Mary is open for public tours. Round Dome is Carnivals terminal.
GT is probably not a good measure as Carnival is made of lighter weight building materials
Queen Mary can accommodate 2602 passengers and Carnival 4000

Last edited:
Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Panorama just getting ready for first post Covid-19 trip.

Russian Foxtrot class named scorpion

Ah, hope that goes ok for them, covid past 18mths or more must have hit hard.

Scorpion, early '70's era operated for 23 years.
Was owned by a group of Australian businessmen, but fell into disrepair and not open since 2015.
Be interesting to own an attack sub, even from that era.
Probable a museum has bought it. (Or one of the tech billionaires, for a bug out watercraft ? lol)

Queen Mary cruise ship launched in 1934 next to Carnival Cruise ship Panorama

Well done. This really is a perfect time for an overfly of both ships as they are unoccupied - sadly. Once while on board the QM I read that it’s “mileage” per gallon of fuel oil at cruise speed was (drumroll please) ...13 feet!

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
That big white bubble building was built for the famous Howard Hughes Spruce Goose. It failed to make it as a tourist attraction and was moved to a really great air museum in Evergreen Oregon.

Be interesting to own an attack sub, even from that era.
Probable a museum has bought it. (Or one of the tech billionaires, for a bug out watercraft ? lol)
It's amazing how the sea destroys a ship in a very short order if it's left without care. The US Submarines that are floating and on display at Pearl Harbor and San Diego are very pristine but the Russian subs such as the one at Long Beach and one other at San Diego are just plain scary. I did venture below on the foxtrot class Sub in San Diego but I think I was the only one to do that for the entire time I was there. It was very crude and in very shaky condition. I understand it is now permanently closed.

I did venture below on the foxtrot class Sub in San Diego but I think I was the only one to do that for the entire time I was there. It was very crude and in very shaky condition. I understand it is now permanently closed.

It's great to see memorials like Pearl Harbour so well cared for.

Can imagine the Scorpion would be very basic even when manned by a soviet crew.
Not many comforts given to those seamen.

From my post above, closed since 2015, and another a previous post says recently sold and to be removed from the site soon.

Great video...I like the Cunard ship better Thumbswayup...size does not give that Carnival the class that you show us in that beautiful QM...thanks...also ...nice background music...overall...great subjects and good photography ...well done
Bit of advice...just ignore haters

Reactions: hiflyer201
How did you get permission to fly above 100 feet? It's still just inside the 5 mile radius of the airport and even with approval, 100 is only half way up the side of the ship. The main deck is almost 200 feet from the waterline. Official FAA Map below:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-13 045618 - Copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-01-13 045618 - Copy.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 4
How did you get permission to fly above 100 feet? It's still just inside the 5 mile radius of the airport and even with approval, 100 is only half way up the side of the ship. The main deck is almost 200 feet from the waterline. Official FAA Map below:
You are allowed to fly up to 400' (in this case 100') above a building as if it were the ground. I would assume a ship in the dock would amount to the same thing.

Last time I flew near the Queen there was a 100 foot hard ceiling in place in the LAANC clearance. That hard ceiling is for ATC at Long Beach Airport. In my mind HARD ceiling is 100 feet AGL PERIOD.

Last time I flew near the Queen there was a 100 foot hard ceiling in place in the LAANC clearance. That hard ceiling is for ATC at Long Beach Airport. In my mind HARD ceiling is 100 feet AGL PERIOD.
The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. In this case, the max allowable altitude is 100 feet. So as long as you are within 100 feet of the ship (aka structure) you can go up the max of the height of the ship PLUS 100 feet.

The relevant rules under Part 107 are summarized within Section 107.51. This section is entitled “Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft” and contains a set of limits associated with speed, altitude, and visibility. Pertaining to altitude, item B of the Section states that:

“The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level unless the small unmanned aircraft is (1) flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure, and (2) does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit.”

The issue really is what the FAA considers a structure. THey do not define it. But I would guess a huge ocean liner docked would pass the muster. :)

Check out the DJI flysafe geo zone map. DJI is very strict about letting you fly near airports. QE2 is well outside the restricted air space. Your drone will not even start if you are in a geo zone.

Great video...I like the Cunard ship better Thumbswayup...size does not give that Carnival the class that you show us in that beautiful QM...thanks...also ...nice background music...overall...great subjects and good photography ...well done
Bit of advice...just ignore haters

Queen Mary and the other great liners were transportation that delivered people to destinations. Cruise ships are amusements that bring people right back where they started. The forms reflect the functions. Queen Mary looks sleek, purposeful and elegant. Carnival Panorama looks ... well, amusing.

(I hope no one gets their hackles up over that opinion.)

The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. In this case, the max allowable altitude is 100 feet. So as long as you are within 100 feet of the ship (aka structure) you can go up the max of the height of the ship PLUS 100 feet.
The issue really is what the FAA considers a structure. THey do not define it. But I would guess a huge ocean liner docked would pass the muster. :)

No, looks like they're very specific about that in controlled airspace.

"Altitude limits are absolute values above ground level which shall not be added to the height of any structures."

That text also shows up in LAANC authorizations. From last August near New Orleans:

ASLXM7GN5D40 / MSY, 2021-08-20T16:30:00Z – 2021-08-20T18:00:00Z, 400 Ft. AGL
In accordance with Title 14 CFR Part 107.41, your operation is authorized within the designated airspace and timeframe constraints. Altitude limits are absolute values above ground level which shall not be added to the height of any structures.

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Not really sure but I thought it all depends if you are a 107 pilot.
Hobbyists do not follow Part 107 regulation. As a result, hobbyists cannot fly 400 feet over a structure, whether in controlled or uncontrolled airspace.

Reactions: DoomMeister
You are allowed to fly up to 400' (in this case 100') above a building as if it were the ground. I would assume a ship in the dock would amount to the same thing.
Not without special clearance and must be 107 certified to request height allowance above that stated in the LAANC/UAS Facilities Map.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Check out the DJI flysafe geo zone map. DJI is very strict about letting you fly near airports. QE2 is well outside the restricted air space. Your drone will not even start if you are in a geo zone.
I'd say that @kjonyou is correct. That area you flew through to the north of the dike around the ship is in controlled airspace with a 100' AGL ceiling if you have LAANC authorization for the flight.

Check the FAA's SUAS Facility Map at ArcGIS Web Application. That's slow to load and use, but the FAA's B4YOUFLY app also shows it.

The controlled airspace boundary extends south to the breakwater. It looks like you were legal when directly over the QM, but not on your approach to the area from the north. (Unless you were below 100' AGL with LAANC approval.)

The FLY app is wrong often enough that it's best not to rely solely on it. The FAA has the last word. I hope you don't get a letter like the one @zeusfl received a few days ago.

Screenshot_20220113-155316_B4UFLY.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52